Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Yeah I wonder if some doctors keep patients on crutches longer simply to serve as a mental note to not overdo it.  That is a good idea you have using them even when you don't have to initially.  I may do that myself, especially at times when I am walking a little further in stretches.

That's the gist, I think.   It's a mental reminder - and also a reminder to those around you to take things easy.  Like, no tackling. lol

One month til surgery!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Woo hoo, Oski!  I am finding that the time is passing more quickly for me now that the surgery is done, opposed to counting down until it happens.  I am glad it's over with and behind me now.  Now my motto is patience and progress while I heal.

I believe dallison is having his surgery today.  I hope he checks back in soon.  MrFinn, when is yours again?  I can't wait for everyone to be done and we can all chat about healing and how it's impossible to put on your own pants for the first few days. 

Slightly over 4 weeks post-op now.  Sitting at work yesterday was mildly irritating.  I just found that I wanted to change positions a lot.  My desk chair is nice, but I miss my recliner!  My PT exercises have increased to some partial squating exercises, and some other glute work.

I have my brother's 5 pound dog for the day today.  I might try to take him for a walk around the block, since I am not worried about him pulling me over, unlike my 50 pound beast of wild energy, who is currently staying with a friend with working legs.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

MrFinn, when is yours again?

Next week.  Gulp.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

One day later i am doing well so far.

I woke up at 3:30 and required a pain killer and a bowl of cereal since i didn't eat much yesterday. I went back to bed and then woke up two hours later.

I sleep with a pillow between my legs so that really helps.

I woke up and took the dogs outside, wiped off their paws and fed them.

I stayed up and then proceeded to fall asleep on the couch.

Today i practiced getting in my car so i can drive to work tomorrow. My wife and i went shopping today and had a lot of experience getting in and out of the passenger side of her car.

My dr said no getting in cars seated very low to the ground so i don't get to drive my toy for at least a month.

After 4 hours of shopping we are back home.

I took aleve this morning and so far have not taken any extra hydrocodone. I want to be able to drive, so aleve it is as long as the pain isn't too great.

I had to physically lift my leg up to get it into the passenger side of the car. That hurt since i can't lift if w/o help.

I still have my energy but i am sure i'll crash later.

I am able to put about 30 lbs of weight on my right leg per the dr. We have a large calibrated scale at work, so i'll check that out tomorrow.

I can sit all day if i need, but i'll have to get up and walk around with the crutches.

I really don't feel that bad minus the mobility, for now.

I will take a bird bath tonight since i still have the dressing on and can't get it wet.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

I can't believe you're going back to work tomorrow!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I can't believe you're going back to work tomorrow!

+1  Holy crap.  I had the entire month of March off work.  And now I'm only back part time.  And I have a desk job.  Be good to yourself, dallison!  You only get once chance to heal.  Don't rush anything if you don't have to.

Use your good leg to help move your operated leg.  Hook the good leg under the bad leg and lift with the good leg.  It really helps when getting into bed.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

I was back to work the day after knee surgery, this is at least a break for me. I got home at 10:30 last night and was up at my normal time today. People were shocked at the stores when i told them surgery was last night.

I am not a normal person, not even close. I really like my job and i can take it easy. My boss pretty much leaves me alone and lets me do whatever i need to, i'm very lucky.

2017 goals:

Prince of Fatness

I was back to work the day after knee surgery, this is at least a break for me. I got home at 10:30 last night and was up at my normal time today. People were shocked at the stores when i told them surgery was last night.

I am not a normal person, not even close. I really like my job and i can take it easy. My boss pretty much leaves me alone and lets me do whatever i need to, i'm very lucky.

I am curious as to how driving will go for you.  Which side did you have done?  I go next Thursday and am taking the whole next week off (Good Friday saves me a day).  Mine is the right side so I was wondering about driving 10 days after surgery.  It is 45 miles one way so substantial amount of time in the car.  I am a desk jockey so not actually worried about working itself.  I also have the ability to work from home so I may do that for a few days if I don't feel up to driving.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

I am wondering that also. I leave here in a few minutes. I had my right hip done so that will be interesting.

Today i am still feeling ok. I am going to work but still have the option to leave early.

I am curious as to how driving will go for you.  Which side did you have done?  I go next Thursday and am taking the whole next week off (Good Friday saves me a day).  Mine is the right side so I was wondering about driving 10 days after surgery.  It is 45 miles one way so substantial amount of time in the car.  I am a desk jockey so not actually worried about working itself.  I also have the ability to work from home so I may do that for a few days if I don't feel up to driving.

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm surprised your doctor is already letting you drive already since it was your right hip.  I don't think I could have moved my leg that well to drive after just a few days.  Good luck at work today - I hope it goes well!

4.5 weeks post op for me.  I feel like my gait is starting to normalize after a little over a week off the crutches.  I'm still moving pretty slowly, but it's getting better.  I took the little dog for a walk the other day and made it around the block (approx. a half mile).  Toward the end I was dragging pretty badly.  My leg was just really tired and I was starting to get some pain in the joint.  When I got home I iced it and took some ibuprofen and all seemed fine an hour later.

Sleeping is a lot easier now.  My movements in bed are almost totally pain free and I can sleep on the operated side with only a little bit of weird feeling.  I am still sleeping with a pillow between my legs; I'll probably continue to do that as a precaution for a while.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Just to get this clear in my head, Mandy ..

When you say that you can or cannot do things (driving, tying shoes for example), what are the limiting factors?  Pain, stiffness, swelling, simply the doctor telling you not to.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Just to get this clear in my head, Mandy ..

When you say that you can or cannot do things (driving, tying shoes for example), what are the limiting factors?  Pain, stiffness, swelling, simply the doctor telling you not to.

All of the above.  I couldn't tie my own shoes because I couldn't lift my leg up.  Driving would have been the same issue - I don't think my reaction time with that leg would have fast enough between the gas and brake for a week or two.  You're not supposed to lift your operated leg on its own for a while or you could irritate your hip flexors and possibly develop tendinitis.  I also had (have? I see my surgeon next week) an order not to bend past 90 degrees.  (This seems fairly common across the board with most surgeons.)  I was able to put on my own sock/shoe after about week 3, when I was able to start to lift the operated leg onto the knee of my other leg to reach my foot.  I still can't bring my knee in all the way to my chest (stiffness, lack of ROM, the over 90 degrees no-no) right now.

I should note that I am being very conservative in my approach to healing.  I would rather progress slower, but without issues than quickly, but run the risk of developing a problem.  Everyone will have their own approach, of course.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks, that helps.

I discussed some of this with the surgeon but I think that he was speaking in general terms.  Some of this may depend on what he finds when he operates.  I intend to have a list of questions written down that I will take to the hospital with me.  I will also try to have my wife there,  I figure that is a good idea since I will most likely be doped up and not ask everything I need to.  I also already have a follow up appointment scheduled for two weeks after surgery.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

The drive in wasn't too bad. When i drive, my heel always stays put. I can just pivot it to the brake and gas and that works for me. My commute isn't too bad with traffic and don't worry much about slamming on the brakes. I do try to think ahead and get my foot in position.

2017 goals:

Prince of Fatness

My commute isn't too bad with traffic and don't worry much about slamming on the brakes.

You must not live in New Jersey.

Not at it at all.