Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

L Train

Good luck with the surgery Finn.  Let's race again in 2019 for the 10 year anniversary.

Prince of Fatness

Good luck with the surgery Finn.  Let's race again in 2019 for the 10 year anniversary.

Shit I'll be retired from racing by then, if I am not already.  Break a leg or something then we'll talk.

Thanks!

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

Did anyone else have any swelling in their legs? I had some in both all the way down to my toes. the swelling seemed to go down since i have been resting.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ice and elevate if you can.  Did they send you home with an ice machine?  Mine kinda looked like this, but obviously the pad was over my hip.

I iced on and off for the first 3 days and never had any swelling from what I could tell.  I was also very wrapped up in bandages too.  I think the ice machine was a big help and it felt good.  Ice packs will work though too.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

That's a sweet looking ice machine! I was sent home with an ice pack.

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Almost 5 weeks post-op.  Things are definitely getting easier these days.  I can now bend over and touch my toes.  I can also sit cross legged for a brief time, but I can tell that I still have limited ROM there.  I walked outside for a 1/2 mile this morning and then iced afterward.  I think that's about my limit at the moment.  I can't wait to be able to go for a real walk eventually.  Household tasks are pretty easy now and my energy is good.  I scrubbed my bathtub the other night (exciting, no?)

Also, I predict dallison will be back running before me, even though I am a month ahead of him. 

Here are what my wounds look like these days.  They're about the size of a dime.  These two are near my groin, while the other is more on the outside of my hip, but I can't get all three in one photo unless I get a little to revealing.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Nice, Mandy!   They look so small for all the work that was done inside Smile

I went for a three mile walk the other day and have been in pain since.   Wah.  Funny, I can do an hour on the elliptical or spin bike - but walking did me in!

dallison

registered pw

wow Mandy, that''s great to hear. From what i'm told, i'm a terrible patient. I can't sit still and i don't ask for help. I can barely put my socks on by myself but it's still manageable.

I still don't have any real pain and still have to lift my leg up with my arms. It is getting easier to get into bed or at least i found a way of rolling into bed.

I still have a decent amount of swelling in my legs but they don't hurt. I use my crutches like i'm supposed to when moving around, but 5-10% of the time i don't. There's no pain or pressure but i still need to be aware of the newly attached labrum. I need to make sure i don't develop tendonitis with my stubborness.

I hope to be doing household chores around 5 weeks like you are. i am going stir crazy and am having a hard time allowing or asking my wife to do things that i'd normally do.

I haven't taken any aleve or prescribed meds since thursday, so i'm pretty lucky. But, it seems as if most aren't in pain after surgery anyway.

2017 goals:

Hip Redux

Keep your legs elevated - should help with the swelling!   Strange that it's both legs, though.

Do you start PT soon?

ehab_96

It's nice to see an active thread with people I can relate to. Last year, after throwing a heavy object and twisting my leg, I felt very sharp pain at that instant. Since then, I have been dealing with hip pain. Xrays and bone scans came back negative before an MRI showed that I had a labral tear in my right hip, and I was diagnosed with FAI CAM impingement. Physical therapy did not help, and I stopped after just three sessions because of increased pain the next day, and an injection into the hip joint did not alleviate any pain. I am wondering if the lack of pain relief after the injection confirms without a doubt that the labral tear is not the reason for my pain. I have had a lumbar spine xray that was negative as well, so there was nothing from my lower back contributing to the pain, despite the fact that I do have minor lower back pain. I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, in which they had an injection which did not relieve any pain, but continued with surgery anyways and had relief. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I have been in pain for over a year and just want to enjoy things again. I'm too young for this!! Sad

Hip Redux

What did they inject, do you know?  Sometimes they use cortisone - and that can be hit or miss in terms of pain relief.  I think the more telling injection is just a straight up numbing agent (lidocaine, IIRC?).

dallison

registered pw

I should be starting PT in about 10 days or so. The swelling went down  since last night. My operated leg had more swelling than the other. I think that b/c i have been on my feet quite a bit, that they are swollen from that.

Keep your legs elevated - should help with the swelling!   Strange that it's both legs, though.

Do you start PT soon?

2017 goals:

ehab_96

What did they inject, do you know?  Sometimes they use cortisone - and that can be hit or miss in terms of pain relief.  I think the more telling injection is just a straight up numbing agent (lidocaine, IIRC?).

I'm not exactly sure. There was a numbing agent applied first, before the injection was inserted, but I am not too sure as to what it actually was.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm not exactly sure. There was a numbing agent applied first, before the injection was inserted, but I am not too sure as to what it actually was.

Was this before an MRI by any chance?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

The numbing agent they used first was likely just to allow them to do the deep injection into the hip capsule - that's pretty routine.     Might be worth knowing what they tried at the joint.   What does your dr want to try next?