Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Shu- at least the MRA will tell you what's going on.  I hope you don't have to join this thread, either!   But you know, your story sounds similar to some of us here  - mine definitely came out of nowhere.  And stretching my hip flexors also made it worse (which kind of made sense because the psoas was also impinging on the labrum).  But tendonitis can certainly mimic many of the symptoms, so there's hope.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I would say welcome, but...no one really wants to be here.  I hope you get good news from your doctor, Shu.  How's the cortisone shot for your husband working out?

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

I would say welcome, but...no one really wants to be here.  I hope you get good news from your doctor, Shu.  How's the cortisone shot for your husband working out?

Not well.  He's been in a lot of pain.  The first couple days it was just a burning sensation, but now he's just back to pain.  He should start physical therapy next week.  He's not very optimistic.

shu_runner

Shu- at least the MRA will tell you what's going on.  I hope you don't have to join this thread, either!   But you know, your story sounds similar to some of us here  - mine definitely came out of nowhere.  And stretching my hip flexors also made it worse (which kind of made sense because the psoas was also impinging on the labrum).  But tendonitis can certainly mimic many of the symptoms, so there's hope.

Thanks!  I'm having a hard time staying positive, that's for sure.

Hip Redux

Damn.  Sad  Is he a runner as well?

I just realized that this week will mark my one year injury-versary.  

Hip Redux

Thanks!  I'm having a hard time staying positive, that's for sure.

I know that awful feeling of waiting for the MRA and then waiting for the doctor to get you the results.   I sat in my car after the appointment and cried.

I think before the official diagnosis and the weeks after the diagnosis were probably the lowest I've felt in a long time.   But then at some point, you realize that you can't change things and you just have to deal with it and do whatever you need to get better.   Even if you do have it, things can and do get better!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Not well.  He's been in a lot of pain.  The first couple days it was just a burning sensation, but now he's just back to pain.  He should start physical therapy next week.  He's not very optimistic.

Well, crap.  PT didn't help me either.   He might almost want to hope that PT doesn't help so that surgery is a clear cut answer.  Lots of people seem to have pain come and go and then waffle over whether or not to go under the knife.

Oh, Oski.    I guess I celebrated two years last month.  I haven't felt like a runner in a long, long time.  But I get to do my 30 second intervals tonight.  Patience, patience, patience.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

Yeah, pt didn't work for me either.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

shu_runner

Did anyone have an FAI not show up on an X-Ray, but did show up on the MRA?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

This is what happened to me, Shu.

GP takes X-Rays in 2012.  Signs of osteitis pubis.  Sends me to sports med.

Sports Med Doc #1 tells me there is no osteitis pubis - lots of X-rays have a dark spot in that area. Don't worry about it.

Sports Med Doc #1 orders regular MRI - wants to check for FNSF.  I ask for MRI with contrast.  Denied.  Get regular MRI.

Sports Med Doc #1 tells me my MRI looks fine; no sfx.  Diagnosed with tendonitis.  Shipped off to PT.

PT for 4 months.  PT does nothing.

Too many painful appts with chiro doing Graston/ART helps a little.

Chiro visits stop helping after I try to increase my mileage.  Chiro obtains copies of my MRI to send to some Olympic runner doc people in Oregon.

Runner doc people say MRI looks fine.  I give up.  Stop running, start biking, try to enjoy my summer.

Fall of 2013 make another sports med appt.  Stupid Doc #1 no longer there, get a new doc.

Sports Med Doc #2 tells me it's probably either a labral tear or snapping hip syndrome.

Sports Med Doc #2 orders correct MRI.  Tells me I have a torn labrum.  Refers me to my surgeon.

Surgeon whips out some compass and protractor thingy on the first visit and starts measuring all these angles on my X-Ray and points out the FAI.  First time I have heard a doctor mention FAI to me.

So I really think it depends on who exactly is looking at your X-Rays.  Also, my surgeon answered a lot of my questions with, "We won't really know until we get in there.  Imaging can only show us so much."  There have been a lot of people in the facebook groups who say, "My MRI only showed a small tear, but once the surgeon got in there he said it was completely shredded."  The good news is that you're (hopefully) going to get an answer shortly after the pain set in.

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

The good news is that you're (hopefully) going to get an answer shortly after the pain set in.

Thanks, Mandy!  The timeline is helpful.  My doctor was pretty clear that he saw no impingement, and it was the first thing he pointed out to my husband on his X-ray.  And yes, the bolded part is key.  I just need to sit back and roll with it for now.  If it's torn, it's torn.  Not much I can do to change that course.

Hip Redux

The psoas can play a big role in the impingement as well and that won't show up in the x-ray.

I saw this that was interesting:

An anatomic study that appeared recently in the American Journal of Sports Medicine identified - for the first time - the cross-sectional anatomy of the iliopsoas tendon at the level of the labrum.

Several authors have implicated iliopsoas impingement on the anterior labrum as a cause of labral tears. They have stated that a tight iliopsoas tendon could cause compression over the anterior capsulolabral complex, leading to labral lesions. Labral tears at the 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock position of the acetabulum are directly under the iliopsoas tendon. This labral tear is considered an anterior tear, while most labral tears caused by trauma, femoroacetabular impingement, capsular laxity/hip mobility, dysplasia or degeneration  are usually found at the 11:30 to 1 o'clock position.

(this matches what they found in surgery - tear from 12-4 o'clock from cam, pincer and psoas so this makes sense to me!)

Hip Redux

Shu - was the MRA today?  How did it go?

shu_runner

Shu - was the MRA today?  How did it go?

Thanks for checking in.  It's actually next Wednesday.  Looking forward to the holiday weekend to distract me!

Hip Redux

Thanks for checking in.  It's actually next Wednesday.  Looking forward to the holiday weekend to distract me!

Ah!  OK Smile