Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Everyone have a good weekend?

Tried bike ride #2 - no go.  My hip flexors really hate it.  And just like last time, the few days after my psoas is very cranky.   Soooo bummed.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, crap.  Is it just biking outside that irritates things, or even on the trainer?  (Not that anyone wants to ride the trainer in the summer...)

I need to do a full blog post here soon.  I'm feeling pretty good these days, like I am getting stronger...PT appointment tomorrow.  I hope they bump me up to more running, because I've kind of, ummm, been being very liberal with my "30 seconds." 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

On the spin bike, I can sit up straight - I think that makes a difference in the amount of hip flexion?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

On the spin bike, I can sit up straight - I think that makes a difference in the amount of hip flexion?

I wonder if you can find a bike that's more upright than your road bike to ride outside for a while?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I wonder if you can find a bike that's more upright than your road bike to ride outside for a while?

My bike is ridiculously upright because of my back issues.  I might see if I can adjust a seat a bit though.    Wah.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How about one of these? 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Heh.  I totally want a beach cruiser.  Big grin

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good news to report from me!  I went to PT today and she seemed pleased with my progress.  I got a real return to running program, too.  She wasn't upset that I was going over my 30 seconds at all.  Here's what I am supposed to do in the upcoming weeks.  (Note for posterity's sake - I am 18 weeks or 4 months post-op.)

Week 1: 90 sec run / 3:30 min walk x 6 cycles
                  Week 2: 2 min run / 3 min walk x 6 cycles
                  Week 3: 3 min run / 2 min walk x 6 cycles
                  Week 4: 4 min run / 1 min walk x 6 cycles
                  Week 5: 25 min continuous run or take 2 walk breaks

Which seems kind of scary, but I am not complaining!  She also mentioned that she wants me to run "fast" during my running segments to promote better mechanics.  So that will be kind of fun. 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

NICE!!   No pain or anything running?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Not really.  I mean, it's not totally normal (whatever that is) 100% of the time.  I will get a flash of groin pain or my hip flexor will go wonky for a few seconds, but I wouldn't describe any of it as pain that stays.  I hope that makes sense.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good luck with the MRI today, Shu!  Let us know how it goes.

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

Good luck with the MRI today, Shu!  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!  Will do.  Glad to see you have a return to running program in place.  That must feel pretty great after all this time!

Hip Redux

Good luck shu!

So I had a dream about running last night.   And I TOTALLY FREAKED MYSELF OUT in the dream thinking I had screwed something up. Whoa.  lol

dallison

registered pw

That is great! I like the running fast thing.  You will be running many miles very soon.

Last week we were hiking in Vermont. The one day we ran/walked 8.8 miles on a very hilly mountain. Two days later we hiked 6 miles with a total elevation climb of 3000 ft in 2-1/4 miles. that was fun.

we ran 3.3 trail miles yesterday and ran 1 hour on the water treadmill afterwards.

Nothing really hurt. My hip did start to ache on the 2-3 mile mark of the run, but wasn't bad later.

I think the trails will be a huge help in all of this too.

Good news to report from me!  I went to PT today and she seemed pleased with my progress.  I got a real return to running program, too.  She wasn't upset that I was going over my 30 seconds at all.  Here's what I am supposed to do in the upcoming weeks.  (Note for posterity's sake - I am 18 weeks or 4 months post-op.)

Week 1: 90 sec run / 3:30 min walk x 6 cycles
                              Week 2: 2 min run / 3 min walk x 6 cycles
                              Week 3: 3 min run / 2 min walk x 6 cycles
                              Week 4: 4 min run / 1 min walk x 6 cycles
                              Week 5: 25 min continuous run or take 2 walk breaks

Which seems kind of scary, but I am not complaining!  She also mentioned that she wants me to run "fast" during my running segments to promote better mechanics.  So that will be kind of fun. 

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

shu_runner

The MRA went okay.  I wont hear anything until Monday afternoon at my follow up appointment, though.  I don't think I was really prepared on how I would feel after.  Getting the contrast didn't really hurt, it just felt like a lot of pressure.  Afterwards, my hip felt really strange all night.  Now I'm in a decent amount of pain this morning, and I'm still limping a bit.  Not sure if that is normal or not, since they didn't really mention anything.  I was also expecting to have to wait in between getting the contrast and going into the MRI, but they literally loaded up my hip and then walked me down the hall and shoved me in the machine.  I'm just glad that piece of it is complete.