Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

How long have you been able to run on it?  I lasted a good 6 months before it just got to be too much!

shu_runner

I got a call from my doctor with the MRI results.  He said it came back normal, with no signs of tearing.  So I guess that is good news in one way, and bad news in another, because I still don't know the source of my pain.  But for now, I'll take it as promising news.  I have my follow up with him Monday to see if we can move on to the next thing.  Thanks for listening to me whine for a bit.  I'll keep checking in on you guys to see how you progress, especially since my husband is currently in physical therapy for his torn labrum and looks like he will be taking the surgery route by the end of the year.  I've been relaying a lot of advice and stories from this thread to him so far.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Waaahoo!!  Shu, if there's nothing structurally wrong with you, I would suggest finding a good sports minded chiro (can be easier said than done.)  My chiro was extremely helpful and while Graston/ART hurts like a bitch, they really do help with soft tissue/tendonitis stuff.

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

Waaahoo!!  Shu, if there's nothing structurally wrong with you, I would suggest finding a good sports minded chiro (can be easier said than done.)  My chiro was extremely helpful and while Graston/ART hurts like a bitch, they really do help with soft tissue/tendonitis stuff.

Thanks!  I will have to do that depending on what he says on Monday.  I started getting a lot of pain in my glutes the last week before my MRI, so I'm wondering if there is something going on in that region causing all of this pain.  It's been like trying to find a unicorn.

Hip Redux

Wow, good news on no tear, shu.   I second the recommendation to try some Art/Graston work - maybe even dry needling - if it's the soft tissues.

It's been about a year and a half....I had a foot injury and pronation problems so I didn't run for 2 months during that time...I never had pronation problems until the tear...not sure if the two have anything to do with each other....I also don't run 6 days a week anymore ....I'm down to 4...my hip actually bothers me more biking.... Which is weird because I started biking because I was convinced I would never be able to run again.

Hip Redux

Oh wow!   Yeah, strange biking bothered you but it's all so individual.

Prince of Fatness

Have we heard from MrFinn lately?

Still here. Been busy. I'm doing ok. Got cleared to run this week. Ran a bit at PT and went for a short run this morning. I am out of shape.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Still here. Been busy. I'm doing ok. Got cleared to run this week. Ran a bit at PT and went for a short run this morning. I am out of shape.

NICE!  How did it feel?  How far did you go?  Are you doing a Dallison and just running short and easy runs or are you doing a run/walk thing like me?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

NICE!  How did it feel?  How far did you go?  Are you doing a Dallison and just running short and easy runs or are you doing a run/walk thing like me?

It felt OK.  I was 13 weeks this past Thursday.  I saw the surgeon on Tuesday.  Not much to report there other than he said that I can run.  I mentioned that I still had pain sitting (not as bad as pre-surgery but I am not as active either).  He said that it is not unusually and I can see improvement for up to 6 months.  So we will see.  I asked about rowing and he wants me to hold off from that for a couple of more months.  I made another appointment with him for two months from now.  I may cancel but at least I have an appointment in case I have questions or something comes up.

PT was Thursday.  There I alternated between walking and running on the treadmill.  I would say that I got about 6 - 8 minutes of actual running in.  Then I ran Saturday.  Just a mile at a very leisurely pace.  For now I am going to run a mile or so every other day and see what happens.

Will probably do one or two more PT sessions then work on my own after that.

Not at it at all. 

KathyL

It sounds like everyone is doing great! Nice to hear about running post repair! I am hopefully getting off crutches tomorrow after 4 weeks. I am so excited! I know I won't be 100%, but I keep thinking about everything I will be able to do again! Question for the veterans, how long until I can do things like clean, pull weeds, grocery shop, walk for a little exercise?

Hip Redux

It sounds like everyone is doing great! Nice to hear about running post repair! I am hopefully getting off crutches tomorrow after 4 weeks. I am so excited! I know I won't be 100%, but I keep thinking about everything I will be able to do again! Question for the veterans, how long until I can do things like clean, pull weeds, grocery shop, walk for a little exercise?

Congrats!   I was cleared to start walking as soon as I was 100% off crutches, working up slowly with increasing distance.

As far as pulling weeds, I'm definitely still not ready for that.  Heh.  Iol  

All kidding aside, kneeling and working will be one of the last things that feels comfortable - I'm 10 weeks now and kneeling, sitting cross legged isn't quite 100% though close.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That sounds good, Finn.  I feel like I'm going to be in PT forever, but at my zero dollar co-pay I know I should just keep going.  Did you have any pain anywhere during your mile?  Or afterward?

Yay, Kathy!  No crutches!  I think I went to the grocery store at some point around 5-6 weeks and it was kind of scary because even though I was walking, I was walking very slowly and people just zoomed on by.  I was cleaning without issues around then too.  As for walking for exercise, I just increased very slowly.  Down the block and back, then around the block, then 1/2 of a mile, etc.

This week takes me to 2 minutes running/3 minutes walking.  We'll see how it goes.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

That sounds good, Finn.  I feel like I'm going to be in PT forever, but at my zero dollar co-pay I know I should just keep going.  Did you have any pain anywhere during your mile?  Or afterward?

No pain during, really.  Still hurts sitting for longish periods.  Remains to be seen if that gets worst with more activity ... something I will be on the lookout for,

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

6:03 mile! i ran the annual harrisburg mile tonight and was expecting 7-8 min mile as i was taking it easy. I started out slow and gradually increased speed. nothing really hurt and i was able to pick it up each 1/4 mile.

I was not pushing it and all felt good. Last year i ran a 5:31 in 96 degree heat and i would have been around 5:20 if i was fine. I was just happy to be out running a race again. And in other news my wife ran a 6:59!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half