Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Did anyone get increased pain seemingly randomly?  Like out of nowhere, I'm dealing with a lot more groin pain after weeks of being 99% pain free.   I'm pretty frustrated.  :/

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How long has the pain been going on?  I'll get pain randomly, but it doesn't seem to stay for very long.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

About a week now of increased groin pain.

PT was unconcerned. So..... ??  No idea.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How are you feeling now, Oski?

Today I get to do 3 minutes of running followed by 2 minutes of walking.  That seems like a lot, however I do think my body is getting stronger and more used to the running.  I am not having as many weird tweaks anymore.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Better-ish. Pain is definitely down from last week but not to where it was before (which was like zero).  It's definitely cranky hip flexors - I was putting on pants yesterday and the front of my thigh went into a massive spasm.  I've been able to keep walking, but I feel like I'm on the verge of a flare up constantly.

And three minutes of running is awesome Smile

dallison

registered pw

So far so good for the month. I have run at least one mile since last wednesday. I have 40 miles for the month so far. Most of my runs are from 3-6 miles and slower, but worthwhile.

All feels good and i am still stretching around an hour a day. I'm building mileage slowly also.

The inside muscle of my hip aches from time to time. I ran 6 the other day and it did ache more after the 3-4 mile mark where i had just run 3/4 mile downhill. So i would strongly warn you guys to really take it easy down the hills or avoid them for a while.

So far so good.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That's great, Dallison!  I think we underestimate just how much we've put our bodies through with this surgery and we have to be really patient about readjusting.  My running has definitely gotten better since I started.  I have been slacking on my PT exercises lately. 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I got a massage yesterday.  OMFG.  My hip flexors were like rocks - she worked them good and was much looser afterwards.  I am going to get on her schedule once a week for a few weeks just to keep avoid getting to that point again.   While the bruises are impressive and all, that was no fun lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've been thinking about going back to visit my chiro again for some ART/Graston to get things nice and loose.  I just hate paying that much though when I am not really hurting.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I  hear ya.   Nothing about this thing has been cheap!

dallison

registered pw

How do you feel when you are running? Do you have any aches or pains? How much slower or faster are you going compared to before? I would understand that you are going slower in fear or uncertainty.

When i go out sometimes i try to go incrementally farther since i really don't know how much i can or can't do.

That's great, Dallison!  I think we underestimate just how much we've put our bodies through with this surgery and we have to be really patient about readjusting.  My running has definitely gotten better since I started.  I have been slacking on my PT exercises lately. 

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

I tried the recumbent bike after having no luck with my road bike - and it definitely does not bother my psoas!  So that's great.  I did 30 minutes today without issue... EXCEPT.... it feels like when I get to the "top" of the spin (knee bent) I feel a resistance.  More than just a pinch but like something is locking me out of a full range of motion.  Anyone else had something similar?

btb1490

I've been thinking about going back to visit my chiro again for some ART/Graston to get things nice and loose.  I just hate paying that much though when I am not really hurting.

An ounce of prevention...

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How do you feel when you are running? Do you have any aches or pains? How much slower or faster are you going compared to before? I would understand that you are going slower in fear or uncertainty.

When i go out sometimes i try to go incrementally farther since i really don't know how much i can or can't do.

I mostly feel pretty good.  Right now I am at 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking x 6 intervals, so I am covering almost 2 miles while running.  Toward the end sometimes I will get a little achy in my groin or hip flexor, but I ice when I get home and then it goes away.  Apparently the fact that the soreness goes away is a good thing.  I assume it's just my body adapting to the new stresses.

My PT wants me running "faster", which for me is about a 9:30mm pace.  (Normally my easy runs would be around 10:30 or so.)  I can definitely tell that I've lost cardio, but I'm not sucking too much wind.  From what my PT says, I wouldn't worry about running a little faster.  I mean, I wouldn't go doing speedwork or anything, but she seemed to think that tempo pace was a good idea.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

An ounce of prevention...

Touche!  I might go after I start ditching the walk breaks in my runs.

Running is dumb.