Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

I did three 30 second intervals running today at PT.  Felt good!  Didn't aggravate the hip flexors any more than usual lol

Hip Redux

Wow, quiet in here lately!  I hope that means everyone is doing great. Smile

Three month mark for me tomorrow.  Time flies when you are having fun?  lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I figured since you were on vacation, we would all slack off on posting.  I think I have just designated you our fearless labrum leader.

I had PT yesterday and we've added some weights to my exercises.  Yowch!  Now my glutes and quads are sore today.

I am continuing to feel stronger.  I feel more like normal normal if that makes sense.  Like I can pound down a hill trail running normal.  Right now I am at 3:30 minutes running and 90 seconds walking.  I interjected that step into my program myself, since 4 minutes seemed like a big jump.  Just being slow and steady like I said I would.  Next week I'll do the 4/1 of running.  I will be 5 months post-op this weekend! 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Does this position come with a crown of some sort?   

What's your mileage like, Mandy?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My Garmin is telling me that during my 3:30 minutes of running, I am covering approx. .38 miles.  So multiply that by 7 intervals and I get about 2.6-2.7 miles per run.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

That's awesome!

dallison

registered pw

So far so good again. it has been 4 months post op. I have been running 20-25 miles per week and i am working on 30-35 this week after i run this coming Saturday.

My groin/hip area really doesn't hurt and any achiness i have doesn't slow me down. I seem to have more pains in my knees than anything. I am working past that.

I am running around the same speed as pre-op. i ran 4 miles on tuesday, i think, and i was running below an 8 m/m.

Since i have been stretching/conditioning for the past 2.5 months, i stopped. I have been doing some, but not as much. I seem to feel better that i have done so. I guess it's almost like when someone takes a bunch of meds for years and doesn't seem to feel better but they stop taking most or all and they start to feel better, as if they were overmedicated.

I really feel good and am thankful to be running again.

I have run a few 7-9 mile trails and that feels good since it's slower, less pounding, and varying terrain.

I am a little slower going up some of the hills i used to mow down, but that will come in time. I'll probably run a 5k in Sept to test things out. i could do it now, but you know, i'm still a little scared.

I may attempt a half in oct/nov. I am not pushing it, but to some, it may seem like i am. i really would not be doing as much as i am if i didn't feel good.

I hope all of you are doing well also and can be back on the road in no time.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Awesome all around, dallison!  I also have some achiness from time to time while running.  I read somewhere that that means your hip joint is inflamed?  I don't know.

Where in your knees does it hurt?  I am also having some knee pain, but nothing consistent.  When I do get it, it's sharp, and in the inside of my knee.  I can press on it and it hurts.  I don't know if it's from my body adjusting to running, or new shoes, or what.

I am still in PT and doing some of my PT exercises at home.  I feel like my glutes are finally normal and firing again, since I can feel them burn when I am doing my exercises.  I have been more slack lately, but I am still trying to remember to do my lunges and step backs.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I "graduated" from PT yesterday.  I meet with the surgeon next week and I am going to ask to continue at my local place to do some soft tissue work (ART, dry needling) and to work on some more "impact" type things.    I made an appointment already since she books up fast, just need to get his approval/PT script to continue but I don't feel like I'm ready to be on my own 100% yet!

Hip Redux

So far so good again. it has been 4 months post op. I have been running 20-25 miles per week and i am working on 30-35 this week after i run this coming Saturday.

Damn!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I "graduated" from PT yesterday.  I meet with the surgeon next week and I am going to ask to continue at my local place to do some soft tissue work (ART, dry needling) and to work on some more "impact" type things.    I made an appointment already since she books up fast, just need to get his approval/PT script to continue but I don't feel like I'm ready to be on my own 100% yet!

Right!  I wouldn't want to be left alone at 3 months either.  think I would be fine by myself at this point, but I guess I'll just keep going till they kick me out.  My PT clinic also does running evals (the whole video analysis thing), which I think I might be able to do once I am close to done with PT.  She did bring it up last time I saw her...I should ask her again on Monday.

So I ran a little trail loop last night. Didn't worry about my stupid PT intervals, just mostly ran and walked when I felt like it and/or encountered a hill.  Covered 4.6 miles.

Any luck with biking recently, Oski?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Right!  I wouldn't want to be left alone at 3 months either.  think I would be fine by myself at this point, but I guess I'll just keep going till they kick me out.  My PT clinic also does running evals (the whole video analysis thing), which I think I might be able to do once I am close to done with PT.  She did bring it up last time I saw her...I should ask her again on Monday.

So I ran a little trail loop last night. Didn't worry about my stupid PT intervals, just mostly ran and walked when I felt like it and/or encountered a hill.  Covered 4.6 miles.

Any luck with biking recently, Oski?

Going to try again this weekend.  It's taken me a few days for the hip flexor to calm down after my last biking episodes, so I'm not totally enthusiastic about trying but I really should!

I would totally get the gait analysis!  I've been incorporating some random 30 second runs into my walks and I really can feel how much less restricted my hip motion is.   I definitely want to be sure that doesn't cause other problems though since I've spent the last 4 years running differently!

Hip Redux

Tried bike riding - still no go.  I feel a pinch when my leg is at the top of the motion.   My psoas and hip flexors seemed OK though, so maybe I just need to work through some scar tissue or something?   Wah.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wah indeed!    What does your PT say about it?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Wah indeed!    What does your PT say about it?

She seemed to think it was fine and that time would help.   But I am encouraged that my hip flexors are fine still today - that's a step in the right direction at least.   I'll see what the surgeon says wednesday and hopefully he okays my request for more PT.