Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Ok, thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be making best friends with netflix and my laptop hah. How long was it until you were off crutches?

Four weeks!

JB52

Four weeks!

That's encouraging, thanks! How are you doing now? How many weeks/months is it post-op for you?

Hip Redux

That's encouraging, thanks! How are you doing now? How many weeks/months is it post-op for you?

Surgery date was May 2nd, so coming up on the four month mark.  Doing pretty good all things considered!   I can walk, hike, elliptical and do some light weightlifting without problems.  Haven't started my run/walk program and biking isn't quite comfortable yet but other than that, my hip feels a lot better.

JB52

Surgery date was May 2nd, so coming up on the four month mark.  Doing pretty good all things considered!   I can walk, hike, elliptical and do some light weightlifting without problems.  Haven't started my run/walk program and biking isn't quite comfortable yet but other than that, my hip feels a lot better.

That's good to hear! Did your surgeon give you an estimate as to when you'll be 100%? I'm hoping to be able to golf by April if I get it done in September, would that be too aggressive?

Hip Redux

April would be 7 months or so?  That seems like a reasonable expectation.   My surgeon says ~6 months in terms of feeling 100%, some take a little longer, some shorter.   He stresses patience. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

To answer a few questions, I also did not have very high pain levels pre-op.  Just a steady, dull ache in my groin while running.  Toward the end and before surgery, I developed a shooting pain while rolling over in bed at night and also more aching while sitting.  I was on crutches for 3-4 weeks.  I took 4 weeks completely off from work (typical office job), 2 weeks part-time, then went back full time.  I thought it was a good schedule for me.  The part-time weeks were needed, as sitting in an office chair has very limited positions.

I am almost 6 months post-op and do not feel 100% yet, but I am running again.  It's a slow process, but I am happy I had it done.

Running is dumb.

JB52

Oski: Yes, 7 months or so, just depends on when I get the surgery done.

Madison: good to know about where you're at now. Looks like I'll be doing a bunch of reading then seeing the timeline you and others went through work-wise. I have a dull ache now as well with some sharp pain if I move in a weird way, can't really replicate it. I also can't stay standing at work all the time, I now have to switch between seated and standing (I made a really rudimentary stand-up desk).

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but how long did it take to have surgery after you decided with your surgeon that you wanted to have the surgery done? Also, did you guys lose/gain weight while recovering? I ask because I'm pretty thin at 5'10 and just under or at 140lbs and I haven't worked out in two months and have been losing muscle, so definitely don't want to lose more.

Hip Redux

I had my appointment with the surgeon mid-March and was scheduled for a May 2nd appointment.  So it was about 7 weeks or so.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but how long did it take to have surgery after you decided with your surgeon that you wanted to have the surgery done? Also, did you guys lose/gain weight while recovering? I ask because I'm pretty thin at 5'10 and just under or at 140lbs and I haven't worked out in two months and have been losing muscle, so definitely don't want to lose more.

I think it really depends on your individual situation.  I know both Oski and I were improperly diagnosed and both tried numerous conservative treatment options first (PT, chiro, rest, etc.)  So you may not be able to have surgery without exhausting other options first.  However, I could have had surgery quite quickly after meeting with my surgeon.  (4 weeks or so?)  I chose to put it off for a few months due to scheduling reasons.

I lost a little weight initially during recovery for a myriad of reasons, but mostly because I was pretty conscious of what I was eating, my parents were cooking healthy food for me (I moved home temporarily) and I was exercising by walking around my neighborhood on my crutches.  You're going to lose muscle no matter what you do, but there's no reason you have to lose weight if you're trying not to.  Hello cupcakes!

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, this happened tonight.  My hip felt good. 

Running is dumb.

JB52

7 weeks? I'd want to get it done ASAP. Rest hasn't helped, tried PT and the exercises left me extremely sore, and I've been to a Chiro as well and it hasn't done anything. At this point I just want to get it done, I'm still in dull pain ever since last Monday which is nuts. I already eat pretty healthy so I'm good on that front, may need to add some ice cream hah.

Nice job Madison!

Were you guys able to do upper body stuff like push-ups or pull-ups while recovering or is it pretty much bed rest?

Hip Redux

Also, this happened tonight.  My hip felt good. 

BAM!  Nice Smile

As far as muscle loss, I was shocked at how small my quad on the op leg got!  It's just now starting to look normal again.

I am up about 5 pounds from pre-surgery. Not bad all things considered but I am definitely more squishy. lol

JB52

BAM!  Nice Smile

As far as muscle loss, I was shocked at how small my quad on the op leg got!  It's just now starting to look normal again.

I am up about 5 pounds from pre-surgery. Not bad all things considered but I am definitely more squishy. lol

ugh, lovely, ok, don't want to lose any more size. Hah I imagine I'll get a little squishy just from being so sedentary.

dallison

registered pw

My wife has a sickness. She only started to run to help lose a couple lbs. She has been running for over two years now and she really likes it. Last night she came home after pt and said, i think i might try to run a little tomorrow. lol, she's sick. they had her on the water treadmill for about 20 minutes.

I will tell you that the water treadmill really works wonders. About half my time is spent on the water treadmill and trails and that has greatly helped me.

Obviously we are all different but it is highly recommended.

@Dallison: It's awesome to hear how well you are doing! Sorry about your wife though, at least it's only a couple weeks and not several months like you had to endure, hopefully she makes a speedy recovery.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

JB52

My wife has a sickness. She only started to run to help lose a couple lbs. She has been running for over two years now and she really likes it. Last night she came home after pt and said, i think i might try to run a little tomorrow. lol, she's sick. they had her on the water treadmill for about 20 minutes.

I will tell you that the water treadmill really works wonders. About half my time is spent on the water treadmill and trails and that has greatly helped me.

Obviously we are all different but it is highly recommended.

Ah ok, I hope the sickness is not life-threatening. I've never heard of a water treadmill until this thread, if I wind up getting the surgery I'll try to get access to one. If I cannot, would just walking around in a pool accomplish the same thing?