Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hey Adam!  I'm closing in on 7 months post-op next week and I still get a little aching toward the end of a run sometimes.  I think dallison does too.  So you're definitely not alone.  I just keep reminding myself that full recovery takes up to a year.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Tried out pilates for the first time last night - it was tough, but I made it through the entire session without needing a modification except for one move that was just too much flexion.   We did a lot of hip stuff (of course) and I'm encouraged that it might be a great cross training workout with running.

My gait analysis is tonight, as well.  If that's all clear, then the run/walk program is full steam ahead!

JB52

Still lurking.  

I had something similar to this when I got my MRI injection.  My hip hurt quite a bit the day of, and the following day.  In fact, it took almost four days for my hip to feel somewhat normal again afterwards.  Hopefully the pain clears up for you soon.

Funny you said yours took 4 days, that's exactly how long mine took to feel somewhat normal. Today was much better, pretty much 100%, tomorrow should be back to normal.

Hip Redux

So I need one of you to tell me that your non-op hip got a little cranky when starting back to running but that it went away and things are all good now.  K?  Thanks.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I need one of you to tell me that your non-op hip got a little cranky when starting back to running but that it went away and things are all good now.  K?  Thanks.

Hmmmmm.  Well, ummmm.  I got nothing for you, Oski.  My non-op hip hurt when I was on crutches, but otherwise it's been okay.  (Knock on wood.)  I did had some knee pain when returning to running, but it's since gotten better.

I am finding that I keep hitting new levels of normal if that makes sense.  I'm still getting better, even if the increments are tiny.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

All too familiar groin pain in the good hip today running.  So I guess I need to call the surgeon tomorrow and see what he wants to do.

dallison

registered pw

I still do and  I tend to slow down during a race. I am still dealing with knee issues as i think that the weakened hip from the last year made my knee weak or messed with it. I had x-rays done and no torn meniscus! It really doesn't hurt during a run, but does so after wards or the next couple days.

I backed off the miles last month to see if that helps, it may have.

I ran a trail 15k this morning and i had felt good. My knee felt good but my hip ached a little so i naturally slowed down. Since i haven't been training much, my times were slower. I struggled the last three miles but i finished. I run this course all the time, but they added some hills and i have not done any hill training.

The winner ran a 1:07 and i did it in 1:15, so not too far off. I can shave about 2-3 minutes from that time in the next couple years.

Mrs. dallison and i have a 2 mile race in vermont next weekend. It starts at the bottom of stratton mountain and goes to the summit. I missed last year but i ran it the previous two years. You almost fast hike it more than run it.

So far so good with running. I am 6 months post op and have run 70, 105, and 88 miles in the past three months. To be able to run that far so soon, i am happy.

My 5k results are about 30-40 seconds slower, but that is b/c i don't have the miles or intensity in.

I hope all of you are patient and rehab quickly.

Hey Adam!  I'm closing in on 7 months post-op next week and I still get a little aching toward the end of a run sometimes.  I think dallison does too.  So you're definitely not alone.  I just keep reminding myself that full recovery takes up to a year.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

dallison

registered pw

lol, taking it easy on an ironman. Anyone who does these is a beast.

Hip feels good!  Or rather, it doesn't feel like anything (which is how it should be, right?!).

I gave a private open water swim lesson on Saturday (day after injection) in really rough waters and it cramped a little but that didn't last long and I wasn't doing any rigorous swimming.  The 5k, however, went great.

I decided not to race it with the double running stroller (which is what I've been doing lately) and just go out and see how it felt to run hard.  I was 2 or 3 seconds away from a PR (set last year, pre-hip fracture, labrum tear, etc.)!   I'm quite happy.

I have the Princeton 70.3 Ironman this weekend.   Planning on taking it easy, but I feel a lot more confident about just doing it now.

I ran pretty hard outside at lunch today, trying (successfully) to knock out a migraine and also just to see how my hip would feel.  A few weeks ago running that effort would have felt tight and achy.  Today it felt smooth and comfortable.

Also, I tried sleeping a little bit on my right hip last night and the night before.  No pain!  So, hopefully this will last :-)

2017 goals:

dallison

registered pw

gtfo! that's great. I'm glad you are getting decent miles in. yeah, about that leg fatigue, it's a bitch. Especially when you were used to more miles w/o fatigue and could go longer. Welcome to the club.

I somehow wound up running at a 6 hour race over the weekend.    Don't ask me how these things happen.  First I was going to volunteer.  Then I got talked into registering because there were good raffle prizes.  Then I got talked into walking a few laps.  Then the next thing I knew I was going to run a few laps.  Anyway...  I ended my day with 18.5 miles.  The loops were just slightly under 2 miles, so we walked a loop, ran a loop, walked a loop, ran a loop, etc.  After running 3 loops, I was supposed to stop running, but it turned out that running felt better than walking, so we did a few run/walk loops.  4.5 hours later, I called it quits because a) I had general leg fatigue setting in and b) it seemed smart to stop and c) there was beer waiting for me.

Amazingly, I had NO groin pain.  I did have some hip pain, but it was concentrated on the outside of my hip.  That area was also very stiff the next day, but now it feels just fine.  This all makes me optimistic about the future.  I'm starting to forget about my hip some days, which is awesome.

2017 goals:

JB52

I saw my OS last week and I don't know if I should be glad or not. My mri with arthrogram said I have a hip stress fracture and labral tears anterior and anterosuperior. He moved my leg all around and I felt no pain, and he said based on that he believes that the labral tears are not causing my pain and just the stress fracture is and said I don't need surgery. He also said that people can have labral tears and not need surgery, have you guys ever heard of this?

I'm grateful he said I don't need surgery and when I asked about being able to ski in February he said I should be ready, but I don't want to see him in December at my two month checkup and have him say I need surgery then as I would also miss out on a golf trip in June. He just wants me to keep doing PT until I see him.

Hip Redux

Yep, for some people, it can be asymptomatic and never cause people trouble.   Same with disc bulges/herniations in the back - if you MRI any random group of people, some will have disc issues and no symptoms at all.

Prince of Fatness

Have not posted here in quite a while.  Tomorrow will be 6 months to the day post surgery.

I have been running since mid July and am now up to 20 minutes at a time.  That is not much, and is mainly due to the fact that I am quite out of shape.  I would say on average that I am running 4 - 5 days a week, walking at least 6 days a week, getting at least 3 core sessions a week, and get out on the bike a couple of times a month.  So I would say that I am active enough.  I plan on increasing the running gradually going forward.

As far as the surgery fixing my issues I think that it has helped but not cured.  On the plus side I have less pain sitting now than I did prior to the surgery, and I think that I am as active now as I was for the couple of months leading up to it,  However, I still have the tightness and (I think) nerve impingement issue in the area of my hip flexor.  I notice even with walking that it takes effort to pick up my leg to step up on a curb.  I am figuring that because of this I tend to swing my leg around while running instead of picking it up, which causes other problems.  Anyway I have an MRI of the hip from less than a year ago (that is when the labrum tear was discovered).  I should revisit that and see if anything was noted.  Also, I had a water skiing incident about 8 years ago where I did a split trying to come up from the water and tore up my groin on that side big time.  I am wondering if there is scarring in there somewhere that could be contributing to this.

So I need to come up with an action plan for following up on this.  I first wanted to make sure that I was healed up from surgery.  Plus I needed a break from visiting doctors' offices.  Even if the surgery did not cure me I think that it was worthwhile as all of the doctors that I have spoken with indicated that it will help stave off potential hip replacement surgery down the road.  So there's that.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Finn -  I had a lot of problems lifting my leg, so went for a second round of PT where they really focused on hip flexor strength.  Within two sessions, I saw huge improvements.   I spent most of the first 5 months avoiding using the hip flexors at all and it was like they had completely forgotten how to fire!   I can now lift my leg into the car without needing to lift my leg.   So maybe something like that would help?

Prince of Fatness

Finn -  I had a lot of problems lifting my leg, so went for a second round of PT where they really focused on hip flexor strength.  Within two sessions, I saw huge improvements.   I spent most of the first 5 months avoiding using the hip flexors at all and it was like they had completely forgotten how to fire!   I can now lift my leg into the car without needing to lift my leg.   So maybe something like that would help?

Funny thing is when I was tested both by the doctors and the folks at PT all indicated that I have good core strength.  Core work is the one thing that I can honestly said that I have kept up with over the past couple of years.

I really think that it is a nerve issue.  Back when I was running more I would have some occasions where my leg would go numb during hard workouts.  Just in my quads, so I think that it is femoral nerve.  My hip would feel pretty tight when this happened.  ART has helped with this in the past so I may revisit that at some point.  I also found some youtube videos on femoral nerve flossing and am going to give that a shot.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

It was more working on the small muscles that work on rotating and lifting the hip.  It's some core work, but definitely more hip focused.