Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

I've been doing pre-op PT and they use the strap on me as well.  I gotta admit, it feels good.  I have much more ROM afterwards.

I tried to find a photo of the one I get the most relief from but I don't see it - Basically my leg is bent while I lay down and the strap is around my upper thigh - the therapist ties the remaining belt around her waist and she uses her weight to pull against the hip while holding my knee straight.

Ok, well... that sounds kinky but I swear it's not lol

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've been doing pre-op PT and they use the strap on me as well.  I gotta admit, it feels good.  I have much more ROM afterwards.

Back when I was doing PT the PT used that belt.  I joked that she was so small I didn't think she'd get much leverage (she was maybe 120).  Fast forward to when I was seeing my Chiro, and he used the belt.  I told him about my PT and he laughed and said "Yeah, you're gonna feel this" and I did.  It felt good but MAN it was a stretch.  He's a lot bigger than I am (and a LOT bigger than my old PT).  In hindsight, my PT did nothing.  In fact, most of the time I saw her, nothing much happened :-(

At least it was a low copay.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good luck tomorrow, MrFinn!  Please report back in alive later.

I have my second post-op tomorrow, finally with my surgeon!  I'll get to hear all the details and have him explain the photos from surgery.

Yesterday night and tonight I walked a mile Smile  I was really dragging toward the end of both walks, but I always wake up feeling fine the next day and supposedly that's key - no lingering soreness.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks!  Surgery will be late morning so at least I don't have to wait until the afternoon.  I will check in here when I am able to.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Good luck, MrFinn!

Did you get your surgery photos, Mandy?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I took them home with me from surgery! They look like the surface of Mars.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

Good luck.

Thanks!  Surgery will be late morning so at least I don't have to wait until the afternoon.  I will check in here when I am able to.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

I took them home with me from surgery! They look like the surface of Mars.

COOL!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

COOL!

Do you want to see them?  I don't think they look like much, but I am happy to post my insides.

I updated my blog for weeks 3 and 4.  I will let y'all know how my post-op appointment goes this afternoon!

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I am alive!

Surgery was scheduled for 11:15 but I got a call from the hospital this morning asking if I can come in an hour earlier.  Damn right I can.

The surgery went well.  The surgeon said that nothing unanticipated presented itself.  My labrum was torn from about 12 o'clock to 2:30.  He repaired that and shaped my femur a bit.  He said that the labrum was "beat up"  and that it must have been torn for a while.  I had some arthritis but it wasn't bad.  Who doesn't have any at age 51?

They gave me a spinal block right before surgery for the pain.  They wanted me to pee before leaving the hospital but I had to wait for the numbness to wear off before I could do that.  I left for the hospital at 8:15 AM and got home at 5 PM.  Pain pills seem to be doing a decent job of making this bearable.  Hope to transition to OTC meds in a couple of days.

So all in all he is optimistic that I should recover well from this.  I have some pictures, and see him in 12 days.  I will ask him to explain the pictures to me then.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Excellent news, Finn!  Sounds a lot like mine.  Do you know how many anchors they used to repair the labrum?  I was on pain pills for about 2.5 days and then was just fine with ibuprofen.

My post-op appointment went just fine, but it was mostly pointless.  My surgeon had a 30 minute delay, so things were pretty rushed.  After spending too much time in the waiting room, I was finally called back.  Some resident/intern guy came in and wanted to compare my ROM from my right to my left.  Dude totally manhandled my operated side, pushing and rotating my leg with the same force as my right.  Ummm, hey, I just had surgery 5.5 weeks ago!

I had to fill out some form regarding my pain and activities.  Dr. Keene came in and we chatted for a few minutes.  He just wanted to know that I was healing well and that my incisions weren't causing me any pain.  Check and check.  I asked about restrictions and he said I had none.  I asked about biking and walking and he said not to increase too quickly, but I could very slowly increase time and resistance.  I scheduled another appt in 6 weeks.  He said that the most progress is made in weeks 6-12, so bring it on!

They also left some of my papers in the room when I was done, and I read them.  Pretty standard stuff, but the sports med doc wrote that I was an "ultimate marathon runner."  HA! 

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Excellent news, Finn!  Sounds a lot like mine.  Do you know how many anchors they used to repair the labrum?

Not sure.  I did not have much time to speak with him and was still a little doped up.  Really the only thing that he said that would be considered bad is that the tear was fairly significant and had probably been there a while.  But his general tone remained optimistic during the conversation which was good.

I have my first follow up with him on the 21st and plan to ask him these sort of questions then.  I should start keeping a list so I do not forget anything.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

They also left some of my papers in the room when I was done, and I read them.  Pretty standard stuff, but the sports med doc wrote that I was an "ultimate marathon runner."  HA! 

Ha!  That's a new one. lol

Glad to hear it went well, MrFinn!

dallison

registered pw

Mandy, that is great news. I hope the recovery is smooth.

Finn, Hopefully you are feeling fine today.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Prince of Fatness

Finn, Hopefully you are feeling fine today.

I am, thanks!  I always sleep on my back so there was very little adjustment with that. Pain is not bad at all with the meds.

I have this pad on over the incisions that I am supposed to leave on for a couple of days. Makes me feel like I have something in my shorts pocket. Also thick enough to make me wonder how the icing is.

Not at it at all.