Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It's been a while since anyone posted on the thread. How is everyone doing?

My left hip was reconstructed in May and is doing amazingly well. Can't even tell there was a problem. We caught it early, though.

Right hip has a little soft tissue pain but nothing like the pain I was experiencing before the reconstruction back in March.

Doc wants me to be conservative and wait until 6 months post op on the left side before I run again. Losing my mind. I ride the stupid bike for 30-60 minutes at a time right now.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

Glad you're feeling good!

Things are ok over here.  Definitely noticing an uptick in pain on both hips with the increase in humidity, feels like a lot of extra "pressure" in my hips.  And my psoas continues to be a PITA.   But I did ten miles last weekend without major repercussions so I really can't complain.

Murph28

I had an MRA 2 weeks ago to confirm my left hip is torn. I am planning on surgery for it sometime in September. The right hip is finally feeling better. I tried some running and it felt fine but my knee started hurting so I backed off and continue to ride a bike for about an hour a day. I do have some discomfort in my right groin and the doctor I am seeing says a lot of his male patients with labral tears also have a sports hernia. He sent me to another surgeon and he thinks I have a small tear. They said they can fix that at the same time I have my left hip done.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Glad you're feeling good!

Things are ok over here.  Definitely noticing an uptick in pain on both hips with the increase in humidity, feels like a lot of extra "pressure" in my hips.  And my psoas continues to be a PITA.   But I did ten miles last weekend without major repercussions so I really can't complain.

Sorry about the psoas. I can't wait to be able to run 10 miles again. I dream about it. The other night, I couldn't sleep so I "ran" my favorite route in my mind and fell asleep. How sad is that? lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hey guys!

My hip is doing great, but I'm not really running much due to a hamstring issue.  *grumble*  It's always something these days, but I am very thankful my hip is cooperating, aside from my usual occasional achiness.  I was putting in a few 40 mile weeks there for a while.  The rest of my body just seems so much more fragile after surgery.  I don't know if that's a strength issue or a getting older issue or what.

Murph -- sorry to welcome you to the thread. 

Running is dumb.

Murph28

My left hip surgery is scheduled for September 26th. I had to switch to a different surgeon due to the first one dropping my insurance. My first one had a 6 weeks no weight bearing policy. This one says I can partial weight bear day one and be off crutches within a couple weeks. He said he hasn't had a patient on crutches over 4 weeks. I think the 6 weeks on crutches was the worst part of the first surgery. I like this but I am wondering if a couple weeks is long enough to heal.

Hip Redux

No,  a couple weeks isn't long enough to heal but you will be moving slow and cautious, not running upstairs and stuff.  :P   My protocol was weight bearing as tolerated from day 1.... two crutches for two weeks, one crutch for one week and then one crutch anytime I left the house for the last week (no crutches at home).   PT started day three after surgery and their goal was to get back normal motion as quickly as possible.

They say it's a good 2-3 months before the labrum is healed due to the low blood flow to that area, but if you go 100% rest (my surgeon's opinion at least) the muscle atrophy and scar tissue/limited joint mobility become serious problems to recovery.

Murph28

Makes sense on the 100% rest. I felt really good on week 3 but by week 6 my muscles felt terrible. Hopefully this one will be better.

mylestones

Hello! I'm checking back in here to ask how everyone is doing and ask about setbacks. I had surgery on my right side just over a year ago and the recovery went perfectly, no setbacks at all. I slowly built up a base after 4 months off, used Hansons method to train all summer and at the one year mark, ran a marathon PR! That was 3 weeks ago. The fixed hip held up beautifully, though my left (non-op) hip was a major pain from mile 9 in the race and all through training. Since a few days AFTER the marathon though, my right (fixed) hip has been hurting (mostly when sitting) very similar to pre-surgery. I thought maybe the stress of the race combined with being more sedentary might have messed things up, but now I'm worried I've done something more serious. I'm going in for PT and ART to see if that helps. Has anyone had issues or failed surgery that came up after a year?

Second, I'm going in for surgery on my left side in November, and am getting nervous. Talked to another hipster that had femoral "antaversion" (as dx by a CT) which made successful outcome less likely in the long term. My surgeon never even brought that up. Did any of you get CTs to address this before surgery?

Thanks all!

Hip Redux

Version issues come up frequently when diagnosing labrum tears - certainly, you want to have a doctor look at the various angles and determine if you have any issues before surgery, because often a different type of surgery entirely is needed to address version (anteversion or retroversion).    I don't think anyone here had that, more on the FB groups people.

As far as set-backs - I certainly get more achy at times than others.  Sometimes very stabby like before - but it often goes away after time.  I do know that if my psoas acts up, it must put pressure right at the same spot, because it feels very similar to pre-surgery until it calms down.  I hope you get some answers!

mylestones

Thanks Oski. I talked with my PT yesterday and he put some of my fears to rest about version. No reason to believe the surgery wasn't a success at this point. The hip does seem to be calming down a little too. The PT reminded me that I'd stressed it to the limit with the marathon so it would be surprising if it didn't flare a little. Just another reminder that just because it's fixed, it's not bionic! Nor am I getting an younger, and as much as I hate to admit it, that plays a big factor in recovery, both from surgery and from a marathon.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I saw the doc on the 24th and he said I can try running. However, my glute medius is still kind of stupid so I have been doing some hip exercises to help strengthen it. Everything was going great. Then I took my kid trick or treating and walked around the hilly neighborhood for 2 hours. Flare up. First one since surgery, though (on the right, 9 months ago). I have been babying it since then and eased off the rehab for a few days. It's improving but still kind of depressing.

BUT. None of the pre-surgery pain is present. No groin pain. No low back pain. I am just itching to run but I want to be as successful as possible. I have waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

I even went and had a fitting at the running store. Those shiny, new shoes are mocking me.

dallison

registered pw

This is a 2.5 years update with hope and encouragement for you all having trouble or recovering normally. I am 2.5 years post op and I have had my best year yet. I have had virtually no pain except when i run 2 marathons within a few weeks of each other. At that point i back off the mileage and speed for a week or two and resume. I am tracking to hit 1600 miles for the year. I have run 3 marathons, one 45k, 3-4 half marathons and one ten miler.

I have qualified for Boston with a 3:10 a month ago. I have run several 5k's under 20 minutes which is pretty consistent for me. I pr'd the 10 miler at 1:07 or close to it.

Please make sure that you all ease back into it and only gradually increase your activity level. Pre-hab is very helpful in your recovery. Make sure you a as fit as possible before surgery. It helped me and of course my situation is different.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

This is a 2.5 years update with hope and encouragement for you all having trouble or recovering normally. I am 2.5 years post op and I have had my best year yet. I have had virtually no pain except when i run 2 marathons within a few weeks of each other. At that point i back off the mileage and speed for a week or two and resume. I am tracking to hit 1600 miles for the year. I have run 3 marathons, one 45k, 3-4 half marathons and one ten miler.

I have qualified for Boston with a 3:10 a month ago. I have run several 5k's under 20 minutes which is pretty consistent for me. I pr'd the 10 miler at 1:07 or close to it.

Please make sure that you all ease back into it and only gradually increase your activity level. Pre-hab is very helpful in your recovery. Make sure you a as fit as possible before surgery. It helped me and of course my situation is different.

This is super encouraging. Thanks for updating!

I have been doing the Couch to 5k. I am so excited. I am repeating each week. I finally get to move to week 2 this week. lol So far, so good!

dallison

registered pw

Keep it up and improve slowly, it will pay off in the end.

This is super encouraging. Thanks for updating!

I have been doing the Couch to 5k. I am so excited. I am repeating each week. I finally get to move to week 2 this week. lol So far, so good!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half