Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

dallison

registered pw

It has been a good run, I think it may be torn again. I have my mri on 3/6. The inflammation is a bit different and the aching is in different areas.

I would think there's a 20-30% chance that it isn't torn and possibly an overextended something, but who knows.

It was from a 175 mile December. 44 miles was in three days over Christmas and then a 5 mile race on 12/31. I was going decently slow and just enjoying talking to other runners.

This blows b/c i know what it entails.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Oh no, same hip??  Where are you aching now that is different?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh man, that sucks, dallison.  I'm confused why it would tear again though.  Isn't the point of the initial surgery/bone shaving to stop the bone from rubbing/tearing the labrum?

Running is dumb.

kilkee

runktrun

People can develop torn labrums (labra? that sounds wrong...) without having FAI, and generally once cartilage is damaged, deterioration can accelerate.  Totally sucks, but yeah, you did have a good run with the repaired hip for a while.  Here's hoping it either calms down on its own or the fix isn't too bad!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

dallison

registered pw

It was similar where i had the same kind of inflammation in the front.

My results came back negative with no tears or any issues at all. I most likely ripped something and with continually running, it is never healing. I was having pain in my butt and to the side of my hip where it rotated from repetition.

I need to take off two full weeks to properly heal this bugger. I dodged a bullet this time.

Oh no, same hip??  Where are you aching now that is different?

2017 goals:

kilkee

runktrun

Good news! But sounds like your body is telling you to back off, so smart move taking a break.

dallison

registered pw

You are 100% right. It feels incrementally better everyday. Now that i have this gift, i need to be smarter. I did abuse myself last year and shouldn't do that this year.

Good news! But sounds like your body is telling you to back off, so smart move taking a break.

2017 goals:

kilkee

runktrun

I did abuse myself...

Don't we all, to some degree Wink

I had a hip flexor/joint capsule/labrum "flare" of sorts that eventually calmed down.  Lots of stuff in that region to irritate.

Hip Redux

I'm back in PT now for SI joint issues.    I have had issues with my right SI joint since surgery but nothing too limiting... but recently after about 2-3 miles running my whole lower back aches and gets really sore (where usually during the day my pain is very local to the right side/over the SI joint).    When it first started, I could finish runs and it was just a little uncomfortable and today I had to call my husband to come get me I was so miserable.

Did anyone go through anything similar?   Was it all from the SI joint?

dallison

registered pw

That's good that it's doing better. I think i am going to stick to one or two marathons this year so i can run Boston next year.

Don't we all, to some degree Wink

I had a hip flexor/joint capsule/labrum "flare" of sorts that eventually calmed down.  Lots of stuff in that region to irritate.

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Because I'm just so keen to keep this thread alive...

My hips have gone haywire for the past few weeks.  I have no idea why.  It's been 3.5 years since surgery and my surgery hip has held up remarkably well.  I've put it through backpacking trips and bike tours and some running when the rest of my body cooperated.  (Let's not talk about that.)  I did a 22 mile hike down and up the Grand Canyon with no problems back in March.  I've been biking a ton this year with no issues.

My "good" hip started to ache after a routine 12 mile hike a few weeks ago.  I limped after sitting for too long for a few days, but it started to improve.  Then my surgery hip started hurting about 4 days later during a routine bike ride.  It felt like my femur was ramming into my hip socket as I was pedaling.  So I stopped biking and hiking and rested.  It's been two weeks.  And my hips have been all over the place since then.  For a few days in the beginning, I would sit at my desk at work and I swear to god I felt both of my femurs pressing into my sockets.  It was a horribly uncomfortable feeling.  That went away after a few days.  Then my hips started alternating pain.  A week ago I would have told you to just put me under the knife as I was 100% positive I had torn the labrum on my good side.  A few days later the pain switched to my other hip.  Now it's back in the good hip today.

I am 100% lost on why this is happening.  In all the years since surgery, I haven't had a flare up of any kind.  Is this a flare up?  I'm so confused why both hips are hurting and why one feels okay for a day or two and then the pain switches sides.  Do I have some sort of nutrient deficiency going on?  WTF.

I leave to hike for 6 days on the Appalachian Trail in less than two weeks.  We're supposed to cover an 85 mile section.  I'm stressed and worried about it.  I'm going to at least try and start it and we can bail if necessary, but talk about ruining a vacation.

Running is dumb.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Oh no, Mandy, that sucks. :-(

I can sympathize on the ruined vacation, as you know.  (Still down with the pelvic sfx.)

Hip Redux

Damn, Mandy!!  I hope it goes away as mysteriously as it came.

Any back pain?  Referred pain from somewhere else?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks, guys.  Nope, no back pain.  I've been having a right hamstring issue since June 2016, but I don't really see that being the problem.  The hamstring thing has been mild and naggy and won't go away, but it's been there for so long I don't see how it could cause this much chaos.

Running is dumb.

shu_runner

I am 100% lost on why this is happening.  In all the years since surgery, I haven't had a flare up of any kind.  Is this a flare up?  I'm so confused why both hips are hurting and why one feels okay for a day or two and then the pain switches sides.  Do I have some sort of nutrient deficiency going on?  WTF.

I don't have a good explanation for you as to why this is happening, but I can tell you this has been happening to Mr. Shu a lot lately.  He even has days where all he has to do is take a step and his hip almost seems to give out.  I assumed all of his flare ups were due to the degree of arthritis he is dealing with in both hips.  Sorry they started bothering you again, Mandy.  I feel for you guys.  Sad