Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't have a good explanation for you as to why this is happening, but I can tell you this has been happening to Mr. Shu a lot lately.  He even has days where all he has to do is take a step and his hip almost seems to give out.  I assumed all of his flare ups were due to the degree of arthritis he is dealing with in both hips.  Sorry they started bothering you again, Mandy.  I feel for you guys.  Sad

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this about Mr. Shu.  I guess we're all bound for fake hips eventually, arthritis or no.  Thanks, shitty genetics!!

I tried to bike for 20 minutes last night and my surgery hip revolted.  So bizarre.  Biking is usually the one thing I can actually do.  Guess I'm done for the year.  I'm feeling a little better about our upcoming vacation.  Things have calmed down a little in general, although now I'm back to guessing I've torn the labrum on my good hip again.  Who knows what the next 9 days will bring!

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I am happy to report that my hips survived our vacation.  They both did really well while hiking, surprisingly.  We hiked about 80 miles in a week with a ton of elevation gain up/down mountains.  My "good" hip had some pain while resting/sitting.  It hurts now if I sit too long indian style.  (Sorry for the outdated/racist term, just didn't know how better to describe it.)  Something is definitely up, but I'm not going to worry about it right now since the pain is nothing near what I experienced on the surgery hip.  Maybe it's a smaller tear.  It wouldn't surprise me if this got worse with time.

In bad news, I still cannot bike.  Like, at all.  Not, "Oh, I can bike for an hour before things start to hurt."  I get on the bike and it's immediate weird feeling pain in my surgery hip.  I biked for 15 minutes yesterday and the pain was very present even later in the evening.  I am not happy with this development.  All I can think is an overuse injury (which is still WTF), so hopefully if I stay off the bike all winter, everything will be healed by spring?  I hate this.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Glad the trip went well!

The biking is weird though... hip flexor irritation or some sort?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The biking is weird though... hip flexor irritation or some sort?

Sorry, I just saw this.  I'm not sure, really.  It doesn't feel hip flexory.  It's since gotten a little better, but it's not back to normal yet.  I'm going to hopefully give a ride a go this weekend again.  (It's going to be cold, so I won't want to ride long anyway.)

Running is dumb.

drivendiva43

Hi!

My name is JANA. I had a larval tear/fai surgery on my right hip January 2016. Moe than 2 years later and I’m definitly losing hope. I have not been able to feel like I’ve recovered at all. I sometimes wonder if my anxiety and fear over the hip pain is actually causing the incessant pain. I have at times ran 8 miles on pure adrenaline and determination and sheer joy and love for running. Any time I get to high training points it does not last. From November 2017 to February 2018 I think I was running relatively painfree, about 4 miles a day. I felt great. It’s possible that I was in pain but was experiencing some mind over matter or something. Mid February the pain hit me and I had to back off. I badically stopped running, but continued to walk and do the PT prescribed to me by my physical therapist. Recently I’ve ran a small amount but honestly I am plagued with pain in both hips basically all the time. I actually can honestly say that when I am ACTUALLY RUNNING, I feel no pain. Weird. But after I always feel injured or rickety or tight and tense. I do my balance board and core work and flute work extensively each week. I see doctors all the time. The most recent opinion is that I should get a nerve block. I figure why not. Steroid injections prove to be worthless. I can’t seem to get this under control! I am committed to never running 2 days in a row ever again. If I ran 4 miles every day for 4 months you would think I could pull it together to run every other day low mileage AT LEAST without pain but alas, it  seems I cannot. I just don’t understand what is wrong. I start physical therapy again on Monday, but am beginning to lose hope to ever truly be able to feel like a runner ever again. It would mean a lot if I could find someone with any advice or similar experiences to talk to.

The only thing i ink I can think of is that I need to rest completely for a week which I am fearful of doing. I can’t sit still. I can handle just walking everyday though. I would think that is enough rest to heal any results of overtraining. I don’t know. I miss training for half marathons or even 5K’s! My life has been turned upside down since January 2016 and it is depressing and feels like an identity crisis that won’t quit. Thanks for reading...💭🙏🏻🙃😇👆🏻

Chris Melvin

Hi Jana, so sorry to hear this. I know how frustrating this type of thing can be. When we love and identify with running so much it really is not cool when we can't do it. Not sure if this helps, but I have suffered from inflammation in my hips for a few years. The past few months I have attacked it with arthritis type natural treatments such as Move Free and turmeric supplements. They are reasonably priced and seem to help. I definitely notice myself recovering quicker with less inflammation pain. Hip issues can be so many different things so it may not work for you but just wanted to mention in case you haven't tried these yet.

drivendiva43

Thank you! I will look into trying that!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

You guys. I haven't posted in a long time. I don't even remember if you are all updated on what is up with my hips. I ended up with bilateral labral reconstructions in 2016. I had some hip flexor tendonitis when I would try to return to running. I got a new job at the hospital and am constantly on my feet (old job was a lot of driving/sitting, likely angering my hip flexor) and my hips started to feel better.

I am actually running. Slow as hell, but actually running. I ran 4 miles for the first time in 3 years on Sunday. I ran 3 miles the next day. I am going to run another 3 miles today. It feels good and I have no pain. Which is good, because I have some weight to lose that I gained over the last few years. lol I am slowly ramping up my mileage and it feels so good.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dragging up this old thread to see how everyone is doing.  Anyone else having problems, or is everyone still feeling mostly good post-surgery?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Dragging up this old thread to see how everyone is doing.  Anyone else having problems, or is everyone still feeling mostly good post-surgery?

After five years.... my repaired hip started randomly giving me problems.  I got back on my stretching and PT routine and it's better but WTH?  (the unrepaired hip has been giving me problems...but honestly, I'm on borrowed time with that one anyway...)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

After five years.... my repaired hip started randomly giving me problems.  I got back on my stretching and PT routine and it's better but WTH?  (the unrepaired hip has been giving me problems...but honestly, I'm on borrowed time with that one anyway...)

Ugh.  What are you experiencing these days?

I'm kind of a mess right now.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Ugh.  What are you experiencing these days?

I'm kind of a mess right now.

Weird stuff, honestly.  I bailed on a run last week because my repaired hip felt like it was going to pop out of its socket - really unstable sort of feeling.   And then randomly it'll feel like there's a deep muscle spasming.     The unfixed hip is more typical - deep ache, sharp groin pain...

What's up with yours?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Weird stuff, honestly.  I bailed on a run last week because my repaired hip felt like it was going to pop out of its socket - really unstable sort of feeling. 

Fuck, I'm sorry.  I get that too sometimes.

Well, my repaired hip initially started to hurt back sometime in the fall.  I thought maybe it was my body reacting to the extreme stress/grief I was going through (because my body did all sorts of crazy shit during that time), but it just never really recovered.  I stopped running completely, aside from some sort stints on the treadmill over the winter.  In March, I went to Arizona and did this crazy hike (15 miles with 5,000ft of gain) and my hips did great.  I was all, hallelujah! maybe I've gotten over this weird hump of pain.  I waited a week after I returned home from vacation and tried to do a 4 mile run around my neighborhood and it went from okay to really bad pretty quickly.  I haven't tried to run since.  Threw down some pretty decent bike miles all this year until even biking and walking started to hurt sometime in mid-May.

So both of my hips have gone haywire since then, although I'm having more problems with my repaired hip than my "good" hip.  It's been a little reminiscent of my flare up in 2017 that I wrote about in this thread, but it also feels different.  I feel very, very stiff.  I've had pain while sitting.  Doing a 5 hour drive over the weekend was rough.  As soon as I get on the bike, it feels like my femur is ramming into my hip socket.  I get extremely stiff if I even just walk for an hour around my neighborhood.  Resting has definitely helped some, but not a whole lot.  I'm struggling to find a balance, because I don't think it's good to rest completely either.  Motion is lotion and all that.

I'm not sure I'm ready to open the can of worms by going to the doctor quite yet.  So I'm trying to get my shit to calm down somehow.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Saw this post and keep forgetting to respond.  Sorry that you and Oski are still having problems.

For me, my surgery was 5 years ago (I think).  My running never got back to where it was before things went bad with the hip.  But, I am running consistently at least.  About 1400 miles a year the last 3 or so years.  I had a lot of issues with tightness after the surgery.  What really helped me was a sports chiro that I found that does Graston.  He really loosened the hip up.  I still go in for a tune up a couple times a year.  It took me a while to let the racing go (at least the shooting for PRs part).  Now I just run for enjoyment ... I do more trail running ... really enjoy that.  At this point at 56 years old I don't think that I'll magically get faster.  I have a neighbor that I run with Saturdays and Sundays and really enjoy those runs.  I plan on keeping this up while I can, and enjoy it while it lasts.  If the hip blows up again and I can't run I'll figure something else to do.

The hip still acts up from time to time but I am able to manage it.  Ultimately I think that the labrum was only part of my problems.  Decades of being a desk jockey took its toll.  Lots of sitting.  Years of carrying my wallet in my back pocket and sitting on that (I really think that there is something to this as it pertains to posture and alignment).  When at work I try to get up walk around and stretch more often.  I also try to do core work 2 - 3 times a week.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

About 1400 miles a year the last 3 or so years. 

This is amazing to me and I'm super happy for you!  You're also at the age where if you had to get your hip replaced, you could do it and not worry too much about wearing it out.  I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm confronted with that situation at such a young age.  (Well, okay, 36 isn't super young, but it is for a new hip.)

Running is dumb.