Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dallison the rebel!  Sounds like you're healing well though.

6 weeks, 4 days post-op for me.  I walked just over 2 miles tonight with ZERO joint pain.  My hamstrings are a little sore from PT, but other than that I feel amazing.  I remember just a few months ago I went to Chicago to visit a friend and we walked and my stupid hip hurt so badly.  But now there's nothing.  I'm starting to believe that I'll run again someday.  I'm planning on trying the bike outside this weekend if the weather cooperates.

2 more weeks for Oski!

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

One week out and first PT session was today.  Not very eventful, which I expected.  Questions and answers, some ROM testing, some clear examples of what not to do,  The guy got a scale out and had me put 20% of my weight on it to see how it felt.  Interesting ... it is not that much pressure.  He had me walk with the crutches and putting the bad leg down, to gauge the feel.  I am faster on crutches without putting the bad leg down but I may use the bad leg a little around the house because it is a little more comfortable.  I also got some isometric exercises to do at home.  Not much but something.  So it begins.

I laughed when I got dressed to go as it was the first time that I put underwear on since surgery.  I know, TMI.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I didn't wear underwear for like the first 3 weeks unless I left the house.  It was just easier that way.

Have you been non-weight bearing until now?  They made me putting my foot down before I even left the hospital.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I've been staying off of it as much as possible.  They didn't make me do anything at the hospital.  They just told me 20% weight bearing max and that was it.  The first few days I was real careful but the last few days I have been putting my foot down more while standing (not so much moving with the crutches).  Doing the scale check today I am sure that I have not been overdoing it.  The 20% rule applies for 2 weeks then I will start weaning off of the crutches.

Not at it at all. 

dallison

registered pw

Dallison the rebel!  Sounds like you're healing well though.

I'm planning on trying the bike outside this weekend if the weather cooperates.

You know it! I really think you'll enjoy the bike ride. Getting away from the house was wonderful. You don't have to pedal all the time and can just cruise. That'll get you more mileage.

I picked up the flu from somewhere, probably from some rugrat at a kids' birthday party. At least i'm getting this when i'm not able to run.

I wonder if having surgery really let my immune system weaken and allow me to not fight off the flu as well as i would have when i was in normal running mode?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

I had a dream that ARod was in my doctor's office for a revision surgery and was having a labrum graft from a cadaver.

So. Yeah.  Two weeks out.  lol

Ironically, I am probably in the best shape in April that I've been in several years.  I'm religiously keeping up with my core work, cross training, lifting and hip strengthening work.   Just don't ask me to actually run because I am sure I would be sucking wind. lol

Mandy and dallison, you are setting high bars for recovery!

dallison

registered pw

I have realized what my weakness is when walking without crutches, elevation drops.

I was walking around work onto a trailer that sat about 2 inches lower than where i was coming from. I was leading with my operated hip and i knew the value of running around most of the time with crutches. Back to them for longer walks around work.

Yes, i know, i should be smarter than that.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Prince of Fatness

Two milestones today.

1) Got up the stairs standing.  I had been going up on my rear.

2) Took a shower by myself.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I needed to find out if I can drive myself to the doctors on Tuesday so I took a little test drive this morning.  Just down the street to the store.  Other than getting in and out of the car it was not bad.  The doctor is not too far so I should be OK.  Work is further but I do not need to go into the office until the end of the week.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am still not getting in/out of the car completely normally.  If I forget and I do, I get a zing of pain.  So I'm still slightly lifting my leg to get in.  The car thing takes a while to get comfortable, but you should still be able to drive.

Dallison, I got sick about 3 weeks post-op.  I definitely think your immune system is weak during these times.

Oski, I don't know if you saw this, but I there was someone in one of the FB groups who said she has a psoas release and was walking normally after 8 weeks.

I AM GOING TO RIDE A BIKE OUTSIDE TODAY!  It's a beautiful day here -- sunny and 60s.  I'll wait until the warmest part of the day and report back with how it goes.  I am ridiculously excited for this.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I AM GOING TO RIDE A BIKE OUTSIDE TODAY!  It's a beautiful day here -- sunny and 60s.  I'll wait until the warmest part of the day and report back with how it goes.  I am ridiculously excited for this.

Understandably excited.  Have fun!  I am thinking that biking will be my summer activity.  I have access to miles of canal towpaths which have very little in the way of hills.  That will be my weekend mornings.

I used my arms to help my leg in and out of the car too.  It also helped to scooch as far as possible over toward the center console.  That way I did not have to bend my knee as much.  Driving itself was not hard.  I have a stick shift but since my good leg uses the clutch it really did not matter.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Biking is also going to be my summer activity.  My hope is that a lot of biking will strengthen up all my muscles and will make my return to running easier.  My goal is to be able to resume bike commuting to work sometime in June/July.  It's a 33 mile round trip, so it's a pretty hefty commute.  I am going to buy myself a new bike after going through all this crap.  It's my reward for having surgery and making it through these last few years.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

YAY!!

Hip Redux

Oski, I don't know if you saw this, but I there was someone in one of the FB groups who said she has a psoas release and was walking normally after 8 weeks.

Thanks - I think I missed it.    The psoas stuff seems so all over the place - some doing well, some wish it was never done, etc etc.

I am really hoping for no psoas release and no microfracture.  Both will mean a long ass summer or recovery, I think.   Though of the two, I wouldn't be surprised if I need the psoas release because that psoas has been a chronic issue for me for years.  The potential cartilage damage could just be a blurry spot on the MRI.  :P

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I WENT FOR A BIKE RIDE!

I stuck to as flat of a route as possible and just took it nice and easy.  Low gears, easy pedaling, plenty of coasting.  The few hills I did encounter I just put it in a super easy gear and spin spin spin.  It felt totally fine and it was great to get outside.  I hadn't been outside on a bike since November, so the first few minutes were like, "Wheeeeeeeeeeee!"  I stopped at a picnic table half way through and took a 5 minute break.  I wound up going 10 miles in about 56 minutes.  Ridiculously slow, but the point was just to get outside and enjoy myself and see how it felt.  I'll consult with my PT lady on Monday, but hopefully this means I can start to bike outside a few days a week!

Running is dumb.