Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

dallison

registered pw

lol, it's funny what we get excited about, when these are common everyday things that people take for granted. That bike ride will change you.

I went to the dr and she said it was allergies. I didn't have a fever, but my skin felt like it had sunburn, my back ached and a bunch of other allergy things.

I feel much better today after the meds. The area around my incisions feels sensitive as if it hurts, but it's just from the sunburnt feeling.

i have been walking up and down stairs without crutches and have ventured into a store once or twice to see how i'd do. i'm better off sticking to the crutches for that one. There are too many chances of injuring myself.

Dallison, I got sick about 3 weeks post-op.  I definitely think your immune system is weak during these times.

I AM GOING TO RIDE A BIKE OUTSIDE TODAY!  It's a beautiful day here -- sunny and 60s.  I'll wait until the warmest part of the day and report back with how it goes.  I am ridiculously excited for this.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

dallison

registered pw

That is freaking awesome!

I WENT FOR A BIKE RIDE!

I stuck to as flat of a route as possible and just took it nice and easy.  Low gears, easy pedaling, plenty of coasting.  The few hills I did encounter I just put it in a super easy gear and spin spin spin.  It felt totally fine and it was great to get outside.  I hadn't been outside on a bike since November, so the first few minutes were like, "Wheeeeeeeeeeee!"  I stopped at a picnic table half way through and took a 5 minute break.  I wound up going 10 miles in about 56 minutes.  Ridiculously slow, but the point was just to get outside and enjoy myself and see how it felt.  I'll consult with my PT lady on Monday, but hopefully this means I can start to bike outside a few days a week!

2017 goals:

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I went for the same 10 mile bike ride yesterday and it felt even better than Saturday!  I pushed on the flats a little more and wound up riding it in 10 minutes less than before.  Whoops!  But it felt good and I figure as long as things feel good, I'm not going to worry about it.   PT gave me the okay to start biking a little when I went for my appointment this morning.  They told me 3x a week 10 miles at a time.  We'll see if I follow that or not.  I could have easily gone farther over the weekend.  My normal PT was gone today, so I had a new lady.  I am getting really tired of various athletic trainers/PTs/chiros/doctors asking about my 100K associated with all this.    They asked me where I wanted to get back to.  "Ummm, back to normal?"  "Does that mean running that far again?"  "Uh, yes?"  :skeptical look from person:  Sigh.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

But you're an ultimate marathoner!  Big grin

I rode both Saturday and Sunday with no pain.  Amazing.  But yet, walking around bothers the crap out of me.  T-minus 11 days!

dallison

registered pw

lol, 10 minutes 3x per week, riiiiiiigght!

I started pt tonight and i got all kinds of looks from my activity levels.

I went for the same 10 mile bike ride yesterday and it felt even better than Saturday!  I pushed on the flats a little more and wound up riding it in 10 minutes less than before.  Whoops!  But it felt good and I figure as long as things feel good, I'm not going to worry about it.   PT gave me the okay to start biking a little when I went for my appointment this morning.  They told me 3x a week 10 miles at a time.  We'll see if I follow that or not.  I could have easily gone farther over the weekend.  My normal PT was gone today, so I had a new lady.  I am getting really tired of various athletic trainers/PTs/chiros/doctors asking about my 100K associated with all this.    They asked me where I wanted to get back to.  "Ummm, back to normal?"  "Does that mean running that far again?"  "Uh, yes?"  :skeptical look from person:  Sigh.

2017 goals:

dallison

registered pw

lol, 10 miles 3x per week, riiiiiiigght! that won't last long.

I started pt tonight and i got all kinds of looks from my activity levels.

2017 goals:

NorthernHarrier

Well Mandy, no time for sympathy as the Cam-Rock trails are open. I rode out there this morning before the drizzle. You sound like you'll be ready for getting after it this weekend. We'll keep it under 10 miles so the PT's will be appeased. What do you think????  BTW--we really need to talk about this really long stuff, what are these ultra things anyway? Can't be good for you. 

Prince of Fatness

12 days post surgery.

I met with the surgeon this morning.  The stitches were taken out.  He pretty much just asked how I was doing, if any issues came up, etc.  I am just to stick with the PT (I will be going twice a week through May) and I will see him again after Memorial Day.  I drove myself there and other than having to be careful getting in and out of the car driving was not a problem.

I did bring the pictures that he gave me and asked him to talk me through them.  I could see the tear, and there was some fraying there as well.  He put 3 anchors in.  The anchors eventually dissolve (for lack of a better word).  The sutures are more permanent.  The after picture shows everything smoothed up nicely.  He showed me a couple of spots where there was arthritis (did not look too bad, he was not alarmed by it) and also where he shaved off some of the bone.

Tomorrow I return to the office for work.  I have been working from home off and on since the surgery.

I am still being careful with the leg.  I think once I get going more with the PT and get more to do at home I will feel more comfortable.  Pain is still there when I sit, but seems to be improving, and it isn't quite the burning sensation that it was prior to the surgery.  Feels more like achy muscles.

Not at it at all. 

mcmric

In February, I started experiencing pain in my right hip. I am a 45 year old male. 6’-2” 195lbs. I am not a long distance runner. I do a lot of high intensity training (uphill sprints, burpees, air squats, etc.). I don’t lift heavy weights, mostly body weight exercises. The pain wasn’t too intense but it has gotten worse. It was a dull throbbing deep in my groin, especially when I cross my legs. I also had pain in the front and outside of my hip. I kept training through the pain and ended up developing pain in my left knee (opposite side). This made me slow down and I went to see Dr. John Salvo at the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia. My x-rays looked good so he sent me for an MRI with a dye injection and a CT scan. The MRI showed a large tear in the anterior labrum of my right hip. The CT scan showed NO impingement (FAI). Based on everything I’ve read, this is unusual. Most labral tears are caused by impingement. Dr. Salvo recommended 6 weeks of PT to see if my conditions improve. The PT tested me and said my glut, core and hip strength is very good, so he gave me some stretches. Here’s my question: is there any reason to go through the 6 weeks of PT instead of just scheduling my arthroscopy? I’ve become deeply depressed over my situation. I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

mcmric

-

ultramarathon/triathlete

mcmric

Let me see if I understand this: You're you saying:  doc said you probably can get better with PT and don't need surgery and you're saying "should I just get the surgery and skip the pt?"

I'd be skipping the surgery at any reasonable cost.  If my doc has reason to believe PT can do it, I'd be jumping out of my shoes with joy (this is news I'm hoping to hear next week when I see my do, though I think I'm optimistic since mine's been aching again).

From what I've read, and my chiro confirmed this, a huge number of runners have labral tears that never go diagnosed because they are asymptomatic.   My doc was convinced he could get my other areas strengthened to allow me to run despite the torn labrum (then it turned out I actually have a stress fracture too).   Apparently lots of people tear this but in many cases strengthening the rest of the leg/hip can compensate and you can be "just fine" without going under the knife. 

Try the PT and good luck! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well Mandy, no time for sympathy as the Cam-Rock trails are open. I rode out there this morning before the drizzle. You sound like you'll be ready for getting after it this weekend. We'll keep it under 10 miles so the PT's will be appeased. What do you think????  BTW--we really need to talk about this really long stuff, what are these ultra things anyway? Can't be good for you. 

Ha!  10 mountain bike miles vs 10 flat pavement miles...I see no issue with this   Good to know the trails are open again.  I can't wait to go hiking!

Good luck at work tomorrow, Finn.  I was a little uncomfortable in my desk chair for a while, but it's gotten much better.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Let me see if I understand this: You're you saying:  doc said you probably can  possibly could get better with PT and don't need surgery and you're saying "should I just get the surgery and skip the pt?"

This slight change may be more accurate but other than that I agree with what you said.

mcmric I have been dealing with my hip issues for over four years.  I did not just jump into getting the surgery.  I exhausted many options.  I also had an impingement.  To echo what Dave said I would not be hasty with surgery.  For one thing, what if you really do have an impingement.  You would get the labrum repaired but then it would either not heal or you could be prone to another tear.  This early in the game I would at a minimum be getting a second opinion before deciding on surgery.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

mcmric

Let me see if I understand this: You're you saying:  doc said you probably can get better with PT and don't need surgery and you're saying "should I just get the surgery and skip the pt?"

I'd be skipping the surgery at any reasonable cost.  If my doc has reason to believe PT can do it, I'd be jumping out of my shoes with joy (this is news I'm hoping to hear next week when I see my do, though I think I'm optimistic since mine's been aching again).

Yes, obviously you should try PT first, mcmric!  You've only had your pain since February?  Give it some time and work on strengthening.  You might also want to find a chiropractor who does Graston/Active Release Therapy.  Surgery was a last resort for me after I was in pain for 2 years.

Running is dumb.