Is it OK to take NSAID after a workout? (Read 3451 times)

BTW--when I was having trouble with my ITB, my orthopod had me on piroxicam for 30 days. That's an ibuprofen on steroids.
    I have been having issues with my ITB for about 4 weeks. I have stopped running for 5 days and now most recently for 10 days. I am icing, taping and stretching. What does the piroxicam do?

Go Pre!

Heh. I enjoy being both insane and alarmist. Must be why I like the pain... MTA: out of curiosity, is the other post okay because it conforms to your preconceived notion and the answer you wanted to hear? Sorry my answer was not what you wanted, sorry somebody answered the question you asked with inconvenient info... Wink
      Couldn't agree more with this. People should pose the questions like this..."Is blah blah blah ok for me? Can I do blah blah safely? - please only answer if it is yes. Thank you"

Go Pre!

This thread now has me worried - I'm not sure if I am being sensible or overcautious. What if you wake up a few hours before a run with a headache and take one 220mg Aleve capsule before going back to sleep? Is it best to skip the morning run?
        Very occasionally should be fine. Trent will concur I think. (And Trent is the last word on everything you know Smile ) Stay hydrated as well. Dr Daddyo
        C-R

Good grief. Let's get some perspective here. Trent is a physician and a runner and is asked about NSAIDs to which he graciously provides his medical opinion. This is something, as with all advice, one can choose to follow or not. As a former D1 athlete (not running - soccer), we treated normal aches and pains with ice baths, whirlpools, ben-gay and rubdowns. Serious injuries were a whole 'nother matter for professional trainers/medical staff. Seems like the underlying comment (praphrased) provided that NSAIDS used for normal aches and pains is a questionable choice and NSAIDS used for a serious injuries masks and does not treat the underlying problem appears right in tune with common sense. Personally, I stopped using the stuff mid year last year while fighting an achilles injury because it masked treatment progress. Won't go back to using them either since my normal aches and pains from running are 1) expected 2) remind me I'm still kicking 3) help me determine if I am "hurt" or "injured" - big difference between the two 4) allow me to score sympathy points with DW for HTFU - well ok that one is BS as she has no sympathy for what she calls "self-inflicted punishment" Try other means which were suggested or not - your choice. Ok - soap box is clear for the next person.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm staying OFF the soap box, but I do have a question (for real). I have achilles tendonitis, and the doctor prescribed 800 mg ibuprofen three times a day. I've been taking it for two weeks now. I did have a blood test that showed my kidneys are doing OK with it. I was under the impression that taking it would help with the inflammation - is that not correct? I could live with the pain, I think, although I can't be sure since I guess it's been masked for awhile! Thanks for your help. I want to get back to running ASAP. Friday, I started PT, and I guess I'll be doing that for 2-4 weeks.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are taking ibuprofen at a high dose as treatment for a diagnosed disease, achilles tendonitis. You are being monitored with blood tests and, presumably, repeat visits with a healthcare professional. This is fine, and the ibuprofen in you is being used to treat the inflammation, not the pain. Over time, you should expect to wean off of it, replacing the ibuprofen with stretching, ice and physical therapy. CarmelRunner, yessir!
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Trent.
                  Heh. I enjoy being both insane and alarmist. Must be why I like the pain... MTA: out of curiosity, is the other post okay because it conforms to your preconceived notion and the answer you wanted to hear? Sorry my answer was not what you wanted, sorry somebody answered the question you asked with inconvenient info... Wink
                  Inconvenient info? Please. If you are referring to my post (and clearly it appears you are), I simply offered a second opinion. I really would have expected a more reasoned and professional response out of you, Trent. I have valued your thoughts/observations/musings on these boards, and find the above comment a bit out of sync with the Trent I have come to know.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    I have been having issues with my ITB for about 4 weeks. I have stopped running for 5 days and now most recently for 10 days. I am icing, taping and stretching. What does the piroxicam do?
                    I'll let Dr. Trent answer the question.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Lazy idiot

Inconvenient info? Please. If you are referring to my post (and clearly it appears you are), I simply offered a second opinion. I really would have expected a more reasoned and professional response out of you, Trent. I have valued your thoughts/observations/musings on these boards, and find the above comment a bit out of sync with the Trent I have come to know.
                      As I read it (and I could be wrong), Trent was referring to the OP. Sometimes people want to hear an answer and when the response they get is not in their expected results, they dismiss it as inconvenient. It didn't seem to me that Trent had any problem whatsoever with what you posted. If anything, his post you quoted above was sarcasm gone slightly awry. My $0.02

Tick tock

areesemd

What does the piroxicam do?
                        It's just a different NSAID (like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Nabumetone, Celebrex, etc). Some are once a day, some are multiple doses a day. Some people respond better to one class than another. All generally carry the same risks. You should not take more than one at a time (ie, don't take Advil if you are on Piroxicam). Andy
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pron8r, I was NOT referring to your post. I thought your post added some important nuance. As Drew (and Carmel and Daddyo before) pointed out, I was responding to the OP. The OP asked if NSAIDS were okay, clearly wanting to hear that they are. I stated that they probably are not safe when regularly used to treat the natural pains of running. Your post suggested that in some cases, the opposite was true, that they are safe. I responded to your post positively, adding only that your son sees different populations of patients than I do in practice, and I have seen many cases of NSAID induced renal failure among normal healthy adults. As a result of our two posted perspectives, the OP called me alarmist (presumably for suggesting that NSAIDS are not generally safe when used in this way, my response inconvenient because it did not support his desire to use NSAIDS). The OP thanked you for agreeing with him, since your response clearly was more convenient for him. But I was not trashing your post. At all. And I apologize for any confusion.
                            Pron8r, I was NOT referring to your post. I thought your post added some important nuance. As Drew (and Carmel and Daddyo before) pointed out, I was responding to the OP. The OP asked if NSAIDS were okay, clearly wanting to hear that they are. I stated that they probably are not safe when regularly used to treat the natural pains of running. Your post suggested that in some cases, the opposite was true, that they are safe. I responded to your post positively, adding only that your son sees different populations of patients than I do in practice, and I have seen many cases of NSAID induced renal failure among normal healthy adults. As a result of our two posted perspectives, the OP called me alarmist (presumably for suggesting that NSAIDS are not generally safe when used in this way, my response inconvenient because it did not support his desire to use NSAIDS). The OP thanked you for agreeing with him, since your response clearly was more convenient for him. But I was not trashing your post. At all. And I apologize for any confusion.
                            My apologies. My misunderstanding. That can happen when you've just run a 27-hour relay with little to no sleep. Think I'll take some aspirin and go to bed.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Enjoy your sleep! I prefer a beer to aspirin after a good long run. I hope you did well!
                                Good info, Trent. Thanks. I've never been tempted to take NSAIDS after routine workouts, as I too enjoy the reminders of my efforts (and, being young, they're pretty mild anyway). However, the day after a race (well after rehydrating), I may be given to taking a little something. What think you? If it matters, I've only raced twice so far in my first year of running, and I don't plan on picking up that significantly. Maybe one every 2 months or so.
                                Brandon