Runners Achilles Tendonitis (Read 272 times)

jmcfarlandrunner

I did my long run yesterday as I'm training for a marathon.

My achilles is inflamed and I believe that its achilles tendonitis. 
    Anybody in this forum have advice on how to deal with it minus the obvious (rest, ice, massage, light stretching, etc)?

I'm training for a marathon, so I'll taper my training to help heal this injury, I'm curious if anybody has tried compression socks or anything that might help during my runs.

Thanks in advance!

What worked for me:

CEP compression sleeves worn on the run helped me with post-run recovery.

Ice massage.  Freeze water in a Dixie (paper) cup -- way easier to use than a piece of ice.

You can put low lifts under the heels of your shoes' insoles; the little bit of extra height does make a difference.

Avoid uphills, especially steep ones, until the inflammation is under control.

Eccentric calf muscle training (aka "heel drops").  It's not the best video out there, but it's pretty clear as to the exercise itself.  I doubt there's much difference between 4 and 6 seconds on the descent, and who has all day to do these things???

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Jon the Freshman

I've had great success with a homeopathic remedy that can be done while you sleep. Take 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of ground black pepper and 1 tbsp flour. Combine all 3 and add water to form a paste. Press the paste around the inflamed area and cover with gauze/paper towel using tape to secure the bandaging. You should feel a significant change just overnight. During the day you can change it every 5 hours or so.
          I've had great success with a homeopathic remedy that can be done while you sleep. Take 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of ground black pepper and 1 tbsp flour. Combine all 3 and add water to form a paste. Press the paste around the inflamed area and cover with gauze/paper towel using tape to secure the bandaging. You should feel a significant change just overnight. During the day you can change it every 5 hours or so.

And if it doesn't work you can always serve yourself with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti.

+1 to Clive -- eccentric heel drops are effective, and there's good science behind them.

protex

Eccentric calf muscle training (aka "heel drops").  It's not the best video out there, but it's pretty clear as to the exercise itself.  I doubt there's much difference between 4 and 6 seconds on the descent, and who has all day to do these things???

I get achilles tendonitis flare ups 2-3 times a year and eccentric heel drops always work for me.  Usually it takes 2-5 days and I'm feeling much better.

I would also recommend a strassburg sock

Mysecondnewname

And if it doesn't work you can always serve yourself with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti.

+1 to Clive -- eccentric heel drops are effective, and there's good science behind them.

Big grin

TimoDorien

You can put low lifts under the heels of your shoes' insoles; the little bit of extra height does make a difference. The babydoll dresses is definitely the nightclothes of superior if you’re on the lookout for risqué nightclothes.

Now I want to change my username to Nightclothes of Superior.

Also: eccentric calf muscle training, ice, and compression socks (which also go well with risque nightclothes, if you're into that sort of thing.)

Latent Runner

I'm thinking TimoDorien is a spammer.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                    • 2-mile: 13:49
                    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                    • 5-Mile: 37:24
                    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

You don't say!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I don't know.  The babydoll thing sounds like good advice.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you see someone wearing risqué nightclothes, they're probably just trying to deal with their Achilles tendonitis.

Latent Runner

If you see someone wearing risqué nightclothes, they're probably just trying to deal with their Achilles tendonitis.

Hmmm, that probably explains what I saw when I ran the Bay to Breakers race back in 1980.  Tongue

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                            • 2-mile: 13:49
                            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                            • 5-Mile: 37:24
                            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                            LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmmm, that probably explains what I saw when I ran the Bay to Breakers race back in 1980.  Tongue

Yeah, it must be really endemic over there.

stshipley7

I'm starting to have this problem too. I really don't feel it when I run, but I do feel it when I point my toe down when not running. I really feel it swimming . . . kicking in the water does hurt for sure.

I'm wondering do I need to rest? Reduce training? I had planned a 10 mile race in October and a Half Marathon in November. I wonder if rest would knock those possibilities out. I have modified my stretching for the calves and Achilles to this: How To Stretch Your Calf Muscles | Runner's World ...

... and I've started doing the eccentric calf raises in the video linked above in this thread. I will try ice and massage.

Any feedback? I really need to know if I should back off or stop completely. I'd also like to know if I should plan on (and pay for) those races.

Much appreciated all . . . .

-STS