Please help with my Summer training plan (Read 131 times)

rattlekrait

Hello everyone, i am new here, but it looks like there is a large community that i didnt know about. Glad to have found you because i am planning my summer XC training program and need help.

I have made a draft of a summer training plan to get ready for XC season this fall. I read up on the Summer of Malmo and have tried to model my training after it. It has doubles most days to allow recovery, and two more specific workouts/practice on Tuesdays and Fridays.

I am planning on taking the first two weeks of summer off to rest up. The first entirely off, the second with light running + weights.

Here is a link to my plan --- http://imgur.com/nUr1NjR

Week 3 - 38 miles
    week 4 - 39
    week 5 - 43
    week 6 - 45
    week 7 - 45
    week 8 - 52
    week 9 - 53
    week 10 - 45
    week 11 - 53
    week 12 - 59

Should i have a day off every 7-10 days?
    Also, is along runnecessary or should i split it up?
    What effect will weight lifting throughout the summer have on myrunning?
    Should i do hill sprints on the 2 weekly workout days so i am not weak when i get to xc hills?

Please critique, i honestly don't know much about what i am doing and want to arrive in the fall fast and still uninjured.

Thanks for any help!

I have a few observations.

Bear in mind that these are stated without knowing your age, history, or other possibly relevant details.

If you feel like you need a day off, take it.

I think a long run is helpful without splitting it up.

While I don't know anything about your lifting plan, I'd say it would be helpful and make you stronger.

Hills can help for more than just hills.  I don't think you need to do them every week, but they will be helpful for you.

I think the gradual build up you have going looks good.

Here are a couple of things about your specific plan:

I don't see any warm up or cool down miles for your workouts.  Those are good things to have in your plan.  That will make most of the doubles unnecessary.  And I think, at your mileage, doubles are unnecessary.  You can recover from your runs without doubles.  Just make sure that you aren't "racing" your easy days.  Save your hard efforts for your workouts.  If you start to feel like things are too much, back off to one workout a week.  I think the tempo stuff would be most beneficial at this point.

My suggestions would be to add 1-2 mile warm up and cool downs to your workout days and see how that shifts your mileage around.  Try to do one run a day, and only if necessary, add a double.  I think you'll benefit more from the longer aerobic work over the summer and still have plenty of time for workouts when the XC season comes.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

The voice of mile 18

have you talked with your coach about this plan? your coach knows you and your current level of fitness better than I do.

yes you should take rest days and even rest weeks. without proper rest after working hard your body will not be able to rebuild itself stronger

what sort of volume are you at now? will this plan be a big increase compared to what you are doing now?

instead of two runs a day would you consider cross training to try and avoid over use injuries?

I

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy