Why is it so hard to find Cross Country shoes? (Read 179 times)

I went to 5 places today to try and buy a pair of XC spikes for my daughter and I felt like I was on Mars.

1. Sport Chalet did not know what they were and said they didn't have any. They actually did but only 1 style in mens.
    2. Sports Authority did not know what they were and when I explained it they said they didn't have any and they didn't.
    3. Big 5 Came closest with lots of spikes for sprinters, but none for anything else and they had no clue what the difference was or even why the difference would matter. I tried to explain why running XC on your toes would be a bad idea but quickly realized I was wasting my precious breath.
    4. Foot Locker had none.
    5. Fleet Feet said they were getting some in "very soon."

What gives here? Has anyone else had trouble finding these? XC is a huge fall sport and I don't understand why no one carries the shoes.

Feeling the growl again

Because despite it being a "big" fall sport, lots of the kids don't buy spikes and just race in regular running shoes, and so few enough are sold as not to justify most shoe/sports stores carrying them.  Even most specialty running shoe stores don't carry more than one or two styles.

The market is just small.  Just like me trying to buy a lighter-weight trainer, which is outside the norm for what the masses are interested in.  I rarely, rarely waste my time going to brick-and-mortar stores for shoes anymore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Because despite it being a "big" fall sport, lots of the kids don't buy spikes and just race in regular running shoes, and so few enough are sold as not to justify most shoe/sports stores carrying them.  Even most specialty running shoe stores don't carry more than one or two styles.

The market is just small.  Just like me trying to buy a lighter-weight trainer, which is outside the norm for what the masses are interested in.  I rarely, rarely waste my time going to brick-and-mortar stores for shoes anymore.

I understand the small market with spikes, but even a decent racing flat? Can't find those either! I would have been satisfied if I could have even found one to try on so I could know what size to order online. Returning shoes online is such a PITA.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Both Running Warehouse and Amazon make it pretty easy to return shoes. I've bought and returned shoes to both without any issues. Running Warehouse also has an online tool called Shoefitr that can help you find the right size based on a shoe that you know fits well, although they probably won't have measurements for most of the XC shoes.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I understand the small market with spikes, but even a decent racing flat? Can't find those either! I would have been satisfied if I could have even found one to try on so I could know what size to order online. Returning shoes online is such a PITA.

Yes, racing flats are just as bad.  Low-volume items used by single-digit percentage of runners.  The main reason I still race in a flat I hoarded multiple pairs of in 2003-2005 is because the couple I bought new in brick-and-mortar stores did not work out, and nobody carried a good variety to do a good job of selecting a new one.

As WhoDat indicated, there are places with decent return policies.  Best to try those, keep driving around and your frustration level will only increase.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

kcam

Just not enough people buy racing flats or XC spikes for stores like the ones you mentioned to carry them.  I stopped even looking for racing flats at LRS a long time ago.  My LRS is Running Warehouse.

Mohammed Farhan

look online at eastbay.com or fttf.com

Half Fanatic #846

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

MrH

Another reason why XC spikes are not popular is quite a few HS courses include portions on surfaces that aren't 'spike friendly', so many kids who want a racing shoe lighter than their training shoe will go with flats like the Nike Air Zoom Streak XC 2.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Check out an Illinois store called Dick Ponds. (http://www.dickpondathletics.com/) They have a huge supply of XC shoes/spikes.

I always order my son's through them w/out him trying them on, even though we could drive to the store.

I set the expectations and tell him XC shoes are meant to hurt your feet -- that's so you run faster and get to take them off sooner.

Why is it sideways?

One caution I will throw out there with spike shopping online: spikes are all over the place as far as how they fit.  I remember wearing a 12.5 in one brand and the next season needing a 11.5 by another brand when I wanted to upgrade my spikes.  Your best bet is a brick-and-mortar to actually try them on.  XC spikes are only for dropping the overall weight and to provide better traction to maximize speed.  A lot of the brick-and-mortar locations offer student-athlete discounts, too.

There are a lot of locally-owned running stores that are generally pretty good about carrying a decent variety of spikes.  Always check out their website if they have one and call them up to make sure that they carry what you are looking for.

The lightweight trainers and competition flats are becoming extinct because of two things: the emergence of minimal/natural/low-profile footwear and how light many of the day-to-day trainers have become.  As spaniel noted, there aren't that many people that are looking for racing flats or lightweight trainers, so it is not worth it to a lot of stores to stock more than just one size run of one or two options.

Feeling the growl again

There are a lot of locally-owned running stores that are generally pretty good about carrying a decent variety of spikes.  

Depends where you are.  Around here, I rarely see a single option on a shelf.

Depends where you are.  Around here, I rarely see a single option on a shelf.

The store I went to work for last year after a mid-life career change gets into T&F and XC spikes in a big way. I did not have a clue what a "spike night" was until I worked the T&F one in March. We had about 200-250 athletes show up at each of the nights (two locations)

We expect 400 - 500 athletes at the XC nights in September. ooh boy

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Might be a bit of a drive from CA, but here ya go 

Join us for our annual Cross Country Spike Nights!
                                We will have SPECIAL DISCOUNTS for all Student Athletes,FREE pizza, drinks and expert advice!

Be cool when you go back to school, gear up at Runners Forum!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.