I ran outside for the first time in four months this morning (Read 285 times)

delicate flower

I tore my ACL and meniscus on Jan 5.

I had surgery on Feb 5.

I started slow treadmill jogging on May 2 (been building up since then).

I finally got up the nerve for an run outside today.

I've done a few short test runs outside just to see how the knee would feel, but today was the first real run.  I was actually a little nervous, though my treadmill runs during May haven't hurt at all.  7 miles at 10:11 pace today.  That wasn't an easy effort, either.  I have gotten slow.  My easy runs were around 9:00 pace before the injury.  I'm thrilled that my knee didn't hurt in the slightest.  My legs felt like lead pipes though.  Today was a good day.  7 miles without walking.  The speed will return.

Anyway, just felt like sharing because I like hearing myself type and I am an attention whore. 

<3

Village people

That is awesome! Glad you are back running.

Glad to hear it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Conga Rats ulations!!

Runners run

If you don't mind me asking, how did you tear your ACL in the first place?

Revenge of the Nerd

Ba-boom!

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Chris T

That you, RG3?

delicate flower

If you don't mind me asking, how did you tear your ACL in the first place?

I tore it in a very unspectacular ski crash.

<3

Tiefsa

Good work!  It's such a difference when you get off of the treadmill.

an amazing likeness

Congratulations!

You made me go find my log entries..."Started out with light jog and felt crummy at about 0.5 mile (as usual at this point in recovery), but pushed through it and just kept going.  Left knee tender all along, both quads weak and limited turnover. Hard cardio work as well..."

Be patient.

Do NOT compare where your fitness is now to the past. Now is now. The past is gone.

Judge what your body is actually doing, not what you think it should do.

Patience is your friend.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

RunSaintRun

Wow, great news. Hope you have a full recovery!!

That's great news!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Be patient.

Do NOT compare where your fitness is now to the past. Now is now. The past is gone.

Patience is your friend.

Great advice.  This is what I need to remember!

delicate flower

Be patient.

Patience is your friend.

I hear ya, but it's hard not to compare where I was six months ago.  At the time of my injury, my running was really all starting to come together and I was confident I was going to start dropping big PR's all over the place.  And then BOOM, literally gone in an instant.  I'm just anxious to get back to where I was.  I only started running in 2011 so I am guessing my fall backwards would be further than someone with years of running experience built up in their legs.  I feel good though and I know I'll get there.  I'll just be building back up this year and am planning on a great 2014.

Thanks for all the comments!

<3

cmb4314

Congrats on getting back!

I hear ya, but it's hard not to compare where I was six months ago.  At the time of my injury, my running was really all starting to come together and I was confident I was going to start dropping big PR's all over the place.  And then BOOM, literally gone in an instant.  I'm just anxious to get back to where I was.  I only started running in 2011 so I am guessing my fall backwards would be further than someone with years of running experience built up in their legs.  I feel good though and I know I'll get there.  I'll just be building back up this year and am planning on a great 2014.

Me too, man.  I was at the very end of a great marathon cycle, felt like I was in the best shape of my life and ready for a huge marathon PR, and BAM, broken ankle (via a very unspectacular slip on the ice), and I've been out for nearly 4 months now, with really no cardio at all before the last couple of weeks since I was in a giant boot until then.

I start tentative treadmill running today, but my ankle still has no oomph to it so it's going to be SLOW and short with lots of walk breaks.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)