Need help! Lost motivation with 25 days until first Marathon (Read 1068 times)

I need some help/advice. I di not know what is going on!! I am 25 days from my first Marathon. Up until this week, my training has been going good. BUT...I am having trouble finishing my basic scheduled training runs this past week. It is cold here in Michigan so I have been running on the treadmill. This may have something to do with it since 99% of my running is usually outside. Has this "loss of motivation" happened to anyone else so close to race day?

It doesn't usually happen 25 days out, but I have had it happen. You could just train through the funk, since your taper will start soon anyway and that will probably the solve the problem. Another option is to just put in a cutback week where you do some alternative activities like swimming or lifting weights that'll get you pumped up again and a little rested from the running. Most of my funks have come from over training, although I can understand how the dreadmill could encourage it just by itself.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Another Passion

Let me help you with your motivation (and this may sound crass)... I live in Michigan, too. I am training for my first marathon, too. I don't like running in the cold and the wind and the snow either, but I am anyways. Shut up and run! Your first marathon will be what you put into it. It's all you, dude. I hope that wasn't too harsh. Wink If you'd like the subtle approach... watch this for inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sHBgUgFP8 (it's slightly over 7 minutes long)

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I personally love Daddyo's signature: The Marathon race itself, is the victory lap. The real marathon is the training you do to get there. You're well into your "real" marathon, you really need to find something inside to get you past your training wall. Once you've done that, the excitement of the day will carry you through your victory lap. You can't let up now, now is the time to dig in and git 'er done.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, that happens, it's quite common. Especially if you have to run on a treadmill. Ick! Just keep up the training, HTFU, and visualize how it will feel when you cross the finish line. You'll be fine. What race are you running?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Old Running Guy!

It is probably the treadmill. I live in Michigan and don't like the cold, but I do run outside in the cold. 6 weeks ago I ran a 5k race and it was 9F at the start, so just get out there. You will always remember your 1st marathon, you'll remember them all, but the first one is special especially the last half mile where the crowd will just be cheering you. Don't give up now, when you are running just picture the finish line at the marathon and what it will feel like as you cross it. Good luck, let us know how you do in the marathon!!! Harold Big grin

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
              Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

DeadMopoz

Look, it is not like you must run it. It suppose to be fun, and you have to be ready. I would say - take 2 days off, go to swiming pool/sauna/hot tub, relax. Lower you milage next week. It is not the last maraton out there. There is a really long time before next Olympics, so no need to rush. As for treadmill - I was running on it for 2 hours on daily basis for pretty long time. Tv, mp3 player, etc does not seem to help much - it is still boring. One thing that really helped me - is setting elevation to "random", so it goes from 1% to 7%.
                  Crap. I just wrote you a bunch of positive stuff and deleted it. In short: Such feelings are normal, but YOU CAN DO IT. I know it. If you're running anything at all in crappy winter (the blues, winter blahs, cabin fever SAD, etc) you're ahead of the game. It's so mostly mental. Everyone focuses on the glory, but there's a lot of pain and doubt, too, in such an endeavor. Overcoming said pain and doubt is what makes it worthwhile.
                    If you'd like the subtle approach... watch this for inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sHBgUgFP8 (it's slightly over 7 minutes long)
                    Yes, that was harsh and uncalled for, but you did post a good video. I watched all of it, and I hope that I am never able to post any whines ever again.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

OK, I will not complain anymore after watching that video!! What an awesome individual! Thanks for all your replies.
                        OK, I will not complain anymore after watching that video!! What an awesome individual! Thanks for all your replies.
                        I have had this happen before to me and some of my friends. Training for a marathon is a lengthy process and you most likely put your body through a lot of stuff it's never been through. It won't hurt to take a day or two off and refocus, just don't let it go further than that. I know it is cold up in your neck of the woods now but if you can go find a new course to run to change things up a little. Also, Go to the race website and click on pictures from the past years races and get areas of the course in your mind. Look at the merchandise pages. Read some of the runner's comments from past years. Hopefully all of this will help you get some of the excitement back. Best of luck and congratulations for making it this far!
                        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                          I live in Michigan and don't like the cold, but I do run outside in the cold. 6 weeks ago I ran a 5k race and it was 9F at the start, so just get out there. Harold Big grin
                          /threadjack Harold, we have a MI group on here, growing by leaps and bounds! Check the link in my signature if you'd like to come visit sometime! Smile /threadjack off
                            I've run through the last seven winters here in Michigan and give you a ton of credit for even attempting to train for a marathon around here. It sounds like you are pretty much finished with only 25 days to go. You'll be cruising into your taper in another week which will give you time to turn this mental landslide around. Just because the Michigan winter has kicked your butt mentally doesn't mean that you need to come up short physically. Get this last week and long run in and you'll be good to go. You may also be interested in checking out a little club I started for us temperature challenged runners, the More Miles Than Degrees Club. With the temps hovering in the single digits, you'll have more than enough mileage to join. Tom BTW,what marathon are you training for?
                              I am training for the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, FL. Truthfully, I usually run outside and have more than enough gear to make it happen. The problem lately is the wind and the sub zero wind chill factors. I have my last long run this weekend and with temps in the 30's, I will be just fine. Thanks again for all the support!
                                Hey Jeff, sounds like you've got it under control which is great. This is the first time I'm running through a New England winter, so I feel your pain. You could always buy a ticket for The Spirit of the Marathon movie tomorrow night, it's supposed to be pretty good and the theater should be nice and warm.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.