running and having to take a dump (Read 3077 times)

runnin from hell

anyone ever do this? im 29 years old and almost shit my pants a while back...for the first time since i was a toddler. it just crept up on me and wasn't aware of it before i started out on my journey... what do you do if you do long runs in the middle of nowhere (or in a race) and get the feeling that you might have to drop a load half way through? i *barely* made it back...
    xor

I think you should have worked in "pinch a loaf" somewhere.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*waits for Globule to post about blowing mud* Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Globule....... You cop a squat and wipe with your t-shirt and leave it. Well that's what I did once. Don't know I would do that with a nice technical shirt. Leaves maybe?
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Leaves maybe?
            Leaves of 3, leave 'em be...or somethin' like that.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

<george> Why would anyone take a dump? Wouldn't you leave one? </george> What you do in this situation is dependent on where you are. If you are in the country, you dig a hole. Cover it up when you are done. And consider taking some tp with you in a baggie when you go for a long run... for just such an emergency.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It seems that my expertise has been called upon. Sorry I took so long -- I was on the crapper. Click.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If you use the search function for "OBMPP", you'll find some of Globule's nuggets of wisdom. Here's one example:
                  Once "movement" is imminent, the trickiest part is finding your OBMPP (Optimal Bowel Movement Prevention Pace). Run too fast, and you hasten your body's process dangerously. Slow down too much, and your system may slow down, but then you're not getting much closer to safety. There's a real delicate balance in finding that pace that will mitigate disaster...
                  MTA: The legend himself beat me to it, you could also search "blow mud" Clowning around

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

~Gordo~

All of my long runs I carry with me 3 baby wipes in a plastic zip-lock baggie. I usually run early in the morning and long some not so busy roads. If that feeling approaches, I find a nice quiet out of the way spot, and do my business. Some people bring toilet paper in a baggie, I find much more refreshing using baby wipes. If my long happens to go by a construction site, port-a-potties are always good as well. I very rarely pass one up.
                    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or, why I don't like rolling outta bed and going for a run. I gotta have my coffee, first. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

For shorter runs I just go and hope, but also know where the nearest portapotty is at all times. For medium & longruns I try really hard to go first (coffee, bit of food), and if I haven't succeeded make SURE I route near portapotties - There is a route that puts a pp at mile 5 - perfect for almost all running induced bowels. MTA - for a race I get up early enough for serious bowel interference - coffee, food and plenty of time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Shocked Shocked Shocked http://www.distance-running-tips.com/distance-running-news-003.html
                          "More marathons are won or lost in the porta-toilets than at the dinner table," proclaimed marathon king Bill Rodgers while talking to a group of runners. [...] An estimated 30 to 50% of distance runners experience intestinal problems related to exercise. The vast majority (83%) of 471 marathoners who completed a survey reported they suffered GI problems occasionally or frequently during or after running: 53% experienced the urge to have a bowel movement and 38% reported diarrhea. [...] more difficult to pinpoint possible cause is diet; a nutritionist can be of assistance with this. They can help to determine if you are lactose intolerant; wheat intolerant or allergic to other foods. We want foods that will give us fuel but are also stomach friendly. Too many carbohydrates in your fluid replacement drink can also cause diarrhea. Later, I will give some tips on these foods. Stress or nervousness can also add to our distress. Before a race or difficult workout, we worry about how we will perform. We as runners need to learn to be relaxed on those days. We can only do as well as we can on a given day. If we just concentrate on doing our best, everything else will take care of itself. Do we get nervous before we go to sleep, even though we might not sleep well; no we do not. Yoga and meditation are great ways to learn how to relax. With Yoga we learn to relax some muscles while tensing other muscles. When we meditate, we learn to concentrate and open our minds while relaxing our body. Learn to relax and not have pre- race nervousness, or control it, and don’t let the nervousness control you. Here are some tips for dealing with the trots... See your physician. Drink fluids and make sure you are hydrated. Wear loose fitting clothing around your abdomen Eat foods that you know are safe on your stomach. Stay away from high amounts of fat, fiber, dairy, beverages high in sugar, and processed foods. Allow 4 to 6 hours to pass before you run after eating a big meal. Experiment with what foods work for you, and then do the same in a race. Determine if the time of day has an effect on the diarrhea. Find routes with bathrooms along the way. Last but not least seek support and do not be bashful about tell other runners of your plight. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            One of my favorite father / son moment came when, after my son finished a 5K XC meet, he said to me "man, I had to take such a crap during that thing!" Nice bonding moment there between a father and son who both run....
                              I only have this problem if I run early in the morning. The solution was finally to divide my run up... a quick 3-4 mile out-and-back run to start. By the time I'm back at the house, I know if there is a problem and can run inside to the bathroom if needed. Then do the rest of the run, whether I had to go or not. The best solution for me though, was simply to run later; afternoons during the week, more than an hour after I wake up on weekends.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07