Public Apology (read description) (Read 665 times)

SevenDeadlyShins

THUGLIFE

Dear users, after a recent outlet of information that was found out that I was trying to become a marathon runner at well undertrained for a marathon and just not going to be ready for it. I am just wanting to apologize for acting like a dumb twit that is. I would really like to one day run/walk a marathon but before I even asked for advice on here I had already read some information and the thought of trying to compete in a marathon with only 2 and a half or three fourths of a month to train was daunting. The reason I really got motivated to run was I watched a Nova documentary about how they took 12 everyday people who would never even think of a marathon much less a mile and they were able to get them to be able to run a marathon at the end of the program. Of course, they had a few injuries and setbacks along the way but they all did. Now albeit, that they also had 20-24 weeks to train for the marathon as well. That was one reason I was real excited for trying to do one. But I now realize the big picture in what only having 10-12 weeks to train for one and your not even close to be able to run that decently is like. As much as I was wanting to do this, I find it a little disappointing that it is pretty much PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I am not completely mad or upset by that fact it was just something I really looked forward in doing. See, my standpoint has always just been a fallback on basic natural fitness. Not training fitness but just more of a little athleticism. I have been able to do 2 10k's without training or practice running before them. They were not great but they weren't that bad. Especially the 2nd one. I will hopefully one day attempt a marathon but it won't be 2015 I'm sure. I am wanting to try a half marathon though. Is this more feasible to try and run within 10-12 weeks then a marathon? The same place where I was going to run the marathon will also have a half there too. So i will try and do that. Is it possible to train for a half with only 10-12 weeks? I know some run it on little training but I would try and get miles in. Hopefully build up to about a 8-10 mile long run near the end.   Anyways, I just wanted to say that I am sorry for being a little stubborn and flat footed to get to run a marathon. It isn't something I should of shoved back at you.

NEW UPDATE: 7/24/15 at 5:41

I would also like to point out that I am sorry for acting immature at this time. I am like some of you have said. I am quick reacting and I think if one person doesn't agree with me then they just don't be supportive or their negative and everything else. I am also sorry that it is also noticable that it is much harder to relate to you adults. I am pretty sure most of the runners (about 80%) are mostly likely over 22 at least. I mean I don't know the way things are. I am sorry that I may of insulted others in my stupid back lash. I am sorry for being impatient as well. I know I still have plenty to know about running and many other things. But like some cool people on here have said that I am just doing too much too soon. I am sorry for being over persistent  at times. I only put this in bold in hoping that people will recognize it as well. 

Bests...

1 mile: 5:44

2 mile: 12:48 

5k: 20:05

10k: 57:55 

I heard you're a player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach. 

You are confusing "Running is Stupid" with "Running is boring", there's a difference.  Stupid things are rarely boring, they provide entertainment for the performer as well as the audience.

As far as running a Half, pretty much anyone can run a half marathon, just at what pace you want to run it and if one can get in under any cut offs is the only question.  Hal Higdon has a good 12 week training program, it works.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

and the user with the tag line... "Running is stupid". Not sure what you'r point on being here is but since everyone has as much as right as you do I guess you'll be on here. I see you as the person on the couch with your screen being displayed on your 50-75 inch flat screen and your using your laptop to control the screen and your just saying "look at all these stupid people, running half marathons and whatever. What are they thinking? Running is boring....and pointless. Almost as pointless as ice hockey, tennis and Women's professional basketball". But then again, that's just me.

steph  

Joann Y

I personally appreciate the apology. It's a hard thing to do. I think you could train for the half marathon in a short amount of time. It's doable. I'd try the plan that Happyfeet suggested.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Run lots.  Fit appropriate race goals to the amount of running you are doing.

#artbydmcbride

I don't post from my couch 

Runners run

AutBatgirl

I don't post from my couch 

But do you say "look at these stupid people running half marathons and whatever"? You know, as you run your 20th marathon or whatever number you're up to now.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Feeling the growl again

Although, I don't apologize to Mr. Trollercoaster and the user with the tag line... "Running is stupid". Not sure what you'r point on being here is but since everyone has as much as right as you do I guess you'll be on here. I see you as the person on the couch with your screen being displayed on your 50-75 inch flat screen and your using your laptop to control the screen and your just saying "look at all these stupid people, running half marathons and whatever. What are they thinking? Running is boring....and pointless. Almost as pointless as ice hockey, tennis and Women's professional basketball". But then again, that's just me.

facepalm indeed.

Kid, you have to realize that on this site a large number of us actually know each other.  I've actually had dinner with Ms. "Running is Stupid", and she is a wonderful person...and runs a lot.  Including marathons.  The phrase "running is stupid" is an inside joke around here.

This site is 99%+ adults.  People are awfully helpful but not if you approach us with such an attitude.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mr MattM

Seriously?  You don't think you can complete a marathon on just a couple of weeks training?  Of course you can!  If there is a generous time limit a reasonably fit person can complete a marathon.  Sheesh.

be curious; not judgmental

mikeymike

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here??

Runners run

bhearn

But do you say "look at these stupid people running half marathons and whatever"? You know, as you run your 20th marathon or whatever number you're up to now.

30 by my count, but AthLinks may be incomplete. Plus God knows how many halves, basically one every weekend.

The King of Beasts

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here??

gosh, what a great movie, classic.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

My question is:  Was I like this at 15?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

AutBatgirl

30 by my count, but AthLinks may be incomplete. Plus God knows how many halves, basically one every weekend.

You know, I actually typed 30 at first, but since she tends towards modesty I dropped it. Should have gone with my first instinct! Smile

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Joann Y

My question is:  Was I like this at 15?

Probably. I was a stubborn raging idiot from at least age 15 to 25. I'd give the guy some slack. Wait, I think I might still be an idiot. And stubborn. Just not raging. As much.