52nd overall...but 1st for beer (Read 1038 times)

It's pretty damned competitive in these parts, five seconds over my PR of 18:50 was good for twelfth place in the M 40-49 age group (12/108 AG, 52/976 overall). But I did my homework beforehand, scouting out the Berkshire Brewing Company kegs at the end of the concourse. The official beer results (certified by a former President of the Somerville Road Runners) show that I was the first to tip a beer this morning. The certifying authority in black cap (damned if I can remember his name, but he was a member of SRR when it had 40 members (now 500+) and met his wife through the club.) Things get a little fuzzy after that, I had a minimum of four (and more likely five) beers before I headed home for lunch. A nice run, free beers and a T-shirt is a nice way to spend a Sunday morning, the An Ras Mor race in Kendall Square Cambridge is highly recommended. I looked for my SRR friend Bucci, but didn't see him. Otherwise a perfect race. Smile

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You, sir, obviously have your priorities straight. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You, sir, obviously have your priorities straight. Big grin
        Evil grin

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Impressive -- combination of physical fitness and mental acuity to achieve that first.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Somebody told me that squinting makes you faster. Sadly, it's not true. Photo by Ted Tyler of Coolrunning (as always, LOTS more at http://www.jimrhoades.com/ )

E.J.

mikeymike

Well done, BadDawg. Way to represent.

Runners run

Sorry BadDawg I've been sick the past week. Can't shake the cold. Great race! 18:50 !?!? I also may be a little sick for our Super 5k showdown next year as well if you keep throwing times like that around.
                  Sorry BadDawg I've been sick the past week. Can't shake the cold. Great race! 18:50 !?!? I also may be a little sick for our Super 5k showdown next year as well if you keep throwing times like that around.
                  Sorry to hear you're under the weather Bucci, hope you're 100% soon. I had a pounding headache on Saturday from allergies. 'Tis the season, but thankfully it usually doesn't bother me for long and I just OD on Benadryl/Nyquil for a while. I probably didn't word that particularly well, A.R.M. was 18:55 (five seconds over my PR of 18:50). Disappointing, I wanted about 18:40 but it just wasn't to be. I was only four or five rows back, but when we got to the first corner the pack gets condensed and I was kinda stuck. Coming to the final turn I got cut off/stuck behind one of those darned yellow SRR singlets, and wound up starting my kick too late. While my time was slightly disappointing I'll call it a wash and a good day, I exceeded my free beer expectations. Smile And I gotta say, I love the race logo of the leprechaun buckling himself in for a wild ride.

E.J.

Well done, BadDawg. Way to represent.
                    Thanks mikey.

E.J.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Great race and +1 on the priorities being straight post-race.

Chris
                      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

18:55 gets you 12th place for 40-49? Damn... that IS a tough crowd. It sounds like they need 5-year age groups for that one.

All in all who really cares about the run........ BUT CONGRATS for being first in line for the beer -- you should received a medal or something for that accomplishment........GREAT JOB....... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

18:55 gets you 12th place for 40-49? Damn...
                            Yes but only because this was a relatively small race with no grand prix points at stake. Welcome to New England.

Runners run

I say this in all heterosexual honesty... Nice shorts. An excellent selection for that race.

I say this in all heterosexual honesty... Nice shorts. An excellent selection for that race.
                                With a Polish surname, nobody knows that my mother is one of millions of Horgans born in Cobh, County Cork so I have to tip my scally cap to that side of my heritage when I can.

E.J.