Would this irritate you in a race? (Read 530 times)

I was having this conversation with a few of my running buddies after the Philadelphia Half Marathon and was looking for some more opinions. This is something that I like to do during races, and want to know if it would irritate you, or if I'm possibly p***** people off.

I'm bringing up this race in particular because I was a little more chatty during this run. Something that I like to do, especially during the middle part of the race, is pick a runner or a small group of runners and surge to them, chat them up a bit and then rinse and repeat.  It occurred a lot more in this race because I finished at 1:21 with slight negative splits and there were a lot of runners that went out for the 1:20 barrier and fizzled at the end.

So these are a few of the encounters:

Encounter 1 - Me: Is that Obama in front of us?

Girl:  WHAT?

Me: I think that's Obama.   (Runs up next to the guy while looking back) and shaking my head) Never mind It's not him!

Encounter 2 (We are about to hit the first mile climb out of 2) - Me:  (Loudly) This is awesome! I was really looking forward to this climb. Thank God it's here!

Pack of 3 Runners: Silence

Me:  How come nobody wants to talk to me!

Encounter 3 -  Right before mile 10, I'm starting to get gassed

Me - Hey Guys, what's up!

1 of 2 guys running the full marathon:  (He noticed my breathing) Whoa man.  You need to take it easy, still a lot of race left.

Me:  No way man! I think I got 16 more miles left in me like this.  ( I then surged for the last 5K of the half)

These are just a few examples, and I know they are a little ridiculous.  But do you think that I am irritating people by doing this.  I find it fun and a nice way to set my mind right when the race gets tough.

What do you guys think?

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Yes.  You're irritating people.  Please stop.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Runner100

As a public service, please post a list of all races you have entered or plan to enter in 2014.

+1 Smile

Dream Maker

I'd think it ws great, but then again, I wouldn't be anywhere near you in a race to have any thought of it at all.  People who have any cause to take themselves more seriously might be annoyed.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I do not do any talking  in a race unless it is to say something nice to a person.  If I get passed I say, "nice job, keep it up."  If I pass someone who is struggling I say, "You're doing good, keep it up!"  The stuff you are saying sounds like you are trying to mess with people.  Like some kind of psychological mind f*ck.  I would also find it weird and distracting and I would probably talk about you later in a disparaging way.

Leah, mother of dogs

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I do not do any talking  in a race unless it is to say something nice to a person.  If I get passed I say, "nice job, keep it up."  If I pass someone who is struggling I say, "You're doing good, keep it up!"  The stuff you are saying sounds like you are trying to mess with people.  Like some kind of psychological mind f*ck.  I would also find it weird and distracting and I would probably talk about you later in a disparaging way.

+1

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

Mmmmm...beer

If you can talk that much, you're not racing hard enough. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

But do you think that I am irritating people by doing this.  I find it fun and a nice way to set my mind right when the race gets tough.

What do you guys think?

If I'm racing I'm not talking. Hate people to tell me I'm looking good, almost home or it's the last mile. You must not be racing hard enough if you can talk down to those you are passing. But then I'm old and slow, so I'd never see you in a race anyway.

Get off my porch

Normally, I do give words of encouragment to those I pass, but only when they are walking. But... At my last race, I met a runner who was REALLY annoying. There was a lady running with her niece, behind me. Her niece was really struggling, so she was constantly trying to motivate her. Just before the half way point, she ran ahead to where I was and starting flirting with me. Then she fell back to motivate her niece, then back to me, etc. She did this until we passed the two miles left marker, then she ran ahead to finish the race within her goal. I ended up running with her niece to the finish line. I was so annoyed because I was huffing and puffing, and ready to collapse, and the second half of the race was full of hills. The "Aunt" was litterally running circles around me, talking up a storm, and never lost her breath once. (The silence would have been amazing).

xhristopher

Doesn't bother me one bIt. I'll throw stuff out like that myself, usually in longer distance races, but it's often met with a grunt or whatnot. I find it helps take my mind off the pain, if just a couple seconds. If I'm pushing my son in a 5K we usually chat the whole way. If you aren't conversational during the first half of a marathon you are probably going too fast. It's a good indicator.

Here's a tip. Chat with the volunteers. They will usually reciprocate.

HappyFeat

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

PDoe

Irritating.

jeffdonahue

There is a difference between talking TO people, and talking DOWN to people.  I think it's great that you are feeling awesome during this race, but touting that to others that may not feel as great is just you being kind of an @$$.

I love when people I dont know run with me and we have a conversation, but if someone came up to me and was talking the way you were I think I'd be inclined to trip them and see how they finish up the race with a little road rash.

mikeymike

I'd probably just pick up the pace until you couldn't talk anymore.

Runners run