Would this irritate you in a race? (Read 530 times)

DaBurger

I'd probably just pick up the pace until you couldn't talk anymore.

+1

Know thyself.

Nightvisionrn

Dick behavior. Stop it.

xhristopher

There is a difference between talking TO people, and talking DOWN to people.  I think it's great that you are feeling awesome during this race, but touting that to others that may not feel as great is just you being kind of an @$$.

I love when people I dont know run with me and we have a conversation, but if someone came up to me and was talking the way you were I think I'd be inclined to trip them and see how they finish up the race with a little road rash.

Good point. Topic of conversation is critical.

Yes.  Sounds more like taunting than talking.

Slo

Appears the consensus is beyond irriatating...you're being an @$$.

joescott

I'd probably just pick up the pace until you couldn't talk anymore.

yep.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes.

steph  

delicate flower

Meh, wouldn't bother me in the least and I'd probably reciprocate.

<3

I don't think I'd be irritated. I'd probably welcome the entertainment value of the whole encounter. But I would be thinking, "What an ass. This will make  a great story later."

Current PRs:  Half-marathon: 2:04:46 (Nov. 2013) /10k: 55:01 (Oct. 2013)/ 5K: 25:40 (Dec. 2013)

Upcoming races:  5k Jan. 25, 2013

Half marathon Feb. 23, 2014

If you can talk that much, you're not racing hard enough. Big grin

I see your point, but if you can't talk like this early in a marathon, I think you're racing way too hard.

xhristopher

yep.

Do you run away from all your problems.

<rim shot>

npaden

It wouldn't bother me, but sounds like it would bother a lot of other people.

I was guilty of something similar during my first marathon this year.

I was running the flying pig and it really only has one big hill.  I had trained for the hill pretty well and slowed my pace a little on it and felt really good at the top.  After the hill, for the next 1/2 mile or so, I kept asking people I passed when we were going to get to the big hill because I heard it was a tough one.

I thought I was being witty, I guess I wasn't.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

Yeah.  There is a difference between talking TO people, and using them as objects for your own amusement.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HermosaBoy

As a public service, please post a list of all races you have entered or plan to enter in 2014.

Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Meh, wouldn't bother me in the least and I'd probably reciprocate.

Yeah, I'd definitely enjoy it. I like chatting during a race. But I have discovered that some people cannot talk at all -- even people who race about the same speed as me, while we're running about the same speed, and whilst I can talk. I've deduced that ability to talk is like reaction to temperature - it really does vary. Plus, some people don't want to chat or hear talking. I think it's pretty clear that the people who are calling you insults on this thread are people who don't want to hear chatting Smile

Saturday I chatted with a couple guys, one of them for a couple miles, during my race.

During some of my regular series races, there are some people with whom I regularly chat - guys (& a girl) who are all close enough in speed that we all find ourselves in the same area after the start. Some of them are very witty, at least in my opinion. Of course, in these cases, we all know each other, and there isn't a risk of offense.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.