Would this irritate you in a race? (Read 530 times)

xhristopher

Rereading the OP I see two different things being lumped together for one response. 1.) Being chatty & 2.) Being overtly annoying.

I jumped in and say I do it all the time. Well, that's probably the chatty part more than trying to be annoying. Bad jokes are along the lines of "I don't remember this hill last time" but I might also just ask someone how's it going.

DaBurger

Generally, flying past someone in a race that you're negative splitting telling the people you're passing how great you're feeling (or how EASY THIS COURSE IS) is imo pretty disrespectful (hence the lack of response in #2 of the OP, with the follow up making you sound more like a turd).

If they have an ounce of competitiveness at all, they're already down because someone passed them and they're probably falling off the pace that they hoped to run.  The last thing anyone wants to do in this situation is hear about how good you're feeling.

MTA: In a half, most people running around 1:20 are either trying really hard and racing, so don't want to hear it, or are out for a training run, then you're just making yourself look like an idiot to a 1:12 guy.

Know thyself.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What I appreciate is the fast runners taking time to tell me, "You're doing great!" as they fly by me.  It really does help me to keep going.

The Pocatello Kid.

Love it. I love working with the runners around me trying to make it fun.

pedaling fool

Well, I've only participated in one race ( http://www.gate-riverrun.com/ Wink this year and will do again next year, but I don't believe the OP's actions would cause me too much discomfort.

I can only think of one thing that really irritated me and that was that I (since I was a newbie) went to the back of the pack in my pace group (10-11 min/mile pace) and I was passing people doing way under this pace; not only passing slower runners, but people that stopped and walked Disapprove

I can understand having a bad day, but not that many people; they should of atleast been in the 12-minute groupAngry

I'm going to the front of my group next year.

Does anyone think that the OP is trolling a bit or exaggerating the number of people he ran down and made the comments.  If he ran like that and still ran a 1:21, dude has talent.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What I appreciate is the fast runners taking time to tell me, "You're doing great!" as they fly by me.  It really does help me to keep going.

Like the helpful people who say "you're almost there", which restores your spirits, and gives you the extra energy you'll need to deal with the huge hill and long climb hidden around the next corner

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

Does anyone think that the OP is trolling a bit or exaggerating the number of people he ran down and made the comments.  If he ran like that and still ran a 1:21, dude has talent.

This and frankly I give it a 2 out of 10.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

if only 1 time would not really irritate me,  would probably just chuckle & then ignore him.   but instead of purposely doing this maybe OP would be more focused & would have ran 1:18   ??  just saying

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I do the same thing! I always try to engage runners around me and say funny things. I'm pretty slow so I always hope the people at a similar pace arent too hardcore to enjoy a few comments or quick chat. I've met friends on the course doing that including a woman I now run with occasionally. Generally though, I'm met with crickets.

At the half marathon I ran yesterday, we actually cross the finish line .3 miles into the race. I threw my arms up and exclaimed, "Yes! Woo hoo! That was so easy! I PRed by over 2 hours!" Everyone was super focused and didn't acknowledge me. I probably really irritated them.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Thinking back, I did make a comment to a guy at my last half, who was dribbling two basketballs, that I was seriously thinking about tripping him.  But then again, if you're running a race dribbling basketballs, you're inviting comments like that. Smile

You know, I am up for anyone doing what they want to in a race, but if that "basketball dribbler" was on my same pace, I'd be pissed...  Last thing I want to her while while running is dribbling behind me for 13 miles!   The repetitiveness of those basketballs bouncing would bother me possibly even more than the OP's comments.

Dave, I'll see ya at the 50K in a couple weeks.  Like you, I mostly focus on running quietly, vice chatting while running.  But I know why you don't talk to anyone while you are running... Because you are ahead of almost everyone else out there! Wink.  Good luck at the 50K...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

During yesterday's half, as I approached a gaggle of cops monitoring a cross street at around 9, I (jokingly) asked if they could slow the runners coming back (out and back leg) for me. One cop said " like throw ball bearings?" I said "exactly." We all chuckled a bit. Well, they did. I was racing. A short time later, as I closed on two guys my age, they moved aside and said to me "new rule, no passing us." I chuckled at that And thanked them for moving aside. Then before 12, a guy my age I had passed at 5 passed me back, I told him "good job, I didn't think you were coming back." He chuckled a bit. They were about the only things I said all race. They all helped me at least and, to the OP, IMO, within the realm of acceptable things to say.

bhearn

During yesterday's half, as I approached a gaggle of cops monitoring a cross street at around 9, I asked if they could slow the runners coming back (out and back leg) for me. One cop said " like throw bball bearings?" I said "exactly." We all chuckled a bit. Well, they did

I had to read the whole thing twice before I parsed that correctly. You really scared me for a minute there.

Old, Slow, Happy

Dick behavior. Stop it.

Hi, my name is Dick and I don't do this. Angry   I also would speed up until there was quiet.

Depends on your delivery, the other person's mood/goal/inner-whatever-may-be-going-on, etc. I'm up for some banter too, especially if it's a long race and I know I'm going to be near the same person/group a while. So if I find myself running with someone, I gauge them, engage them, and tell them immediately tell me to shut the hell up if they need to focus/don't want to talk. My feelings won't get hurt.

Sounds like the OP may be right up against the witty/wanker redline.

What annoys me are the weird breathers/foot slappers that you can't seem to get away from. I try to tell myself it's not intentional, but egad.