Would this irritate you in a race? (Read 530 times)

yes

i dunno

Current Goals: Run and stuff

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I didn't realize a lot of runners were so sensitive.  I guess I'm used to football banter, and didn't realize people took themselves so seriously who are finishing 85th in a race.

For most runners, where they place in the field is irrelevant.  We race against ourselves, because we are the only ones we stand a chance of beating.  That doesn't make us take it any less seriously.

Maybe it is just the difference between people who are introverts and people who are extroverts.

Leah, mother of dogs

You're just too cool for us.  We're all secretly jealous of you.  You have these totally not exaggerated stories about having energy to tease people in a race because they are running really hard but are going to finish behind you.  You're a manly man big guy who engages in manly football banter and lets others draft behind manly you.  You're not a loser who finishes 85th and you can't understand how someone could be trying hard and be that slow.  Thank you for agreeing to stop.  Your kindness and humility is exceeded only by your overall superiority.  Not everyone can be you, but we can wish.

Guys, I never intended for this thread to be malicious or have it receive this type of attention.

I never thought anything of the things I was saying. It was brought to my attention by my friend that what I was doing could be seen as taunting or could be making other runners mad.  I was seriously, just trying to get other runners honest opinions.

Telling someone in person the tone of voice, or the exact interaction is a lot different than expressing it on a thread.  How I came across was very arrogant, and I apologize.

I was seeking honest opinions about race etiquette. I was not trying to brag, or belittle anyone that is trying hard.  I did fly off the hook a little bit in my last comment, because of all the negative feedback which I did bring upon myself, and I'm sorry.

bhearn

Speaking of introverts (generally me)... people racing with headphones generally irritate me far more than people who talk too much.

Slo

So when I was in Staten Island and doing a trial run, I was working with 3 club runners.  A huge headwind came off the Hudson and they were racing hard and their pace started to slip.  So, I ran in front of them so they could all draft me. I'm a bigger guy and my effort wasn't all out so I thought this a 'polite' thing to do.

I didn't realize a lot of runners were so sensitive.  I guess I'm used to football banter, and didn't realize people took themselves so seriously who are finishing 85th in a race.

And JimR, who still says cool story bro?

I don't know if you are some troll trying to work up a little dander or if you are seriously this self conceited.

Do you really have to point out they are club runners, racing hard and falling off, you're a big guy and wasn't running all out? Don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back.

Yes, if you were working together then the right thing to do is to help out. I'm sure they appreciated it. I've done it myself albeit it was midpack runners that I finished with.

Your post come across as self centered, egotistical and appear that you are trying not to brag with the intent to brag...maybe that's your nature. Dunno...and this isn't meant to be a personal attack...just my simple observation.

MTA...Sometimes it takes me 10 mins to finish a post...damn work...I see what you posted above.

mikeymike

Alright everybody, deep breaths.

Runners run

Joann Y

No worries (seriously) but this may be a good opportunity for growth and self reflection. All together now, kumbaya...

Slo

Speaking of introverts (generally me)... people racing with headphones generally irritate me far more than people who talk too much.

I have someone I'd like to introduce to you. You might change your mind!

But yeah...agree

xhristopher

Jkurtz' initial post didn't bother me at all. I just figured he was a goofball. If he passed me and bragged, whatever. It would probably help spur my competitiveness and I'd have fun marking him to pass back before the finish. I do think we've piled on and ganged up a little much tho …

Depending how I'm feeling anything can be an annoyance in a race. I've been irritated by a slappy footed runner and by guys grunting like tortured and dying mules being strangled by trolls with garden hoses and chains but I know that's my own personal issue.

Short of physically touching me none of what's been represented above would lead me to finish any slower in any race.

jfa

Grunters and wheezers are the worst.

JPF

Alright everybody, deep breaths.

Can't.  I'm racing and chatting at the same time.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe the headphone wearers are the sensitive runners (who don't like talking, or people, or grunting, or footfalls) who have figured out how to pacify themselves enough to run with other humans without getting deeply upset.

Maybe. But, I'm not exactly putting money on it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Maybe the headphone wearers are the sensitive runners (who don't like talking, or people, or grunting, or footfalls) who have figured out how to pacify themselves enough to run with other humans without getting deeply upset.

Maybe. But, I'm not exactly putting money on it.

I think you are on to something. Going back a couple pages, I now understand this guy a little better.

25K around Cape Ann a few years back, approaching 15 k I'm coming up on a shirtless  older guy, star spangled short shorts and a rolling stones bandana on his  head just wailing away off key to what I think was a live stones album playing on his iPod. 

GC100k

I was not trying to brag, or belittle anyone that is trying hard. 

And yet you did.

And I'm sorry that I did.

And yet you did.