Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Sorry to hear it TechW. Good luck getting healthy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Well, tried jogging for the first time in 2 weeks since I strained my calf muscle: didn't even make it 100 metres before the pulling started. It's looking more and more like I won't be making it to the start line at the May 6 BMO Vancouver Half Marathon this time around. 

I know I'm in better shape than I was 6 months ago, but if I can take any consolation from having to pass, I think I would've missed my sub-90 goal this time around....my training was feeling 1:40ish. OK, that really does nothing to console me. HATE giving up before starting! HATE giving up after starting. HATE giving up. Period.

SO frustrated!

Gah.  

I don't think you're "giving up." Get better and ease back into the game. It's a tough sport. Your injury will pass.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Chris UK

Late entry - North Lincolnshire Olympic Year Half Marathon - 5th May - Scunthorpe, LN

I'm now back to reasonable training miles and with care my IT band is in check. I still think 90 minutes is a stretch at this time but there are some good M60 Vets in this race to pull me along. I did get within 90 seconds on April 13th whilst similarly nursing my knee so you never know.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Great, Chris. Good luck this weekend!

Lazy idiot

1:33:32.  Humid.  I'm okay with it, though.  

Tick tock

1:33:32.  Humid.  I'm okay with it, though.  

Solid run, Drew, nice job. 

Chris UK

1:31:03

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/9a75cfb6f9d04493a7d8c0479f5d2917/workouts/7d62aa94b553462f8b41e68e3a251503

Still heading in the right direction but not quite there yet. More or less on track at mile 8 but started to fade into low 7:00's after that. Need to get my knee right and get back to those long runs and a bit of tempo work. Still 24 seconds quicker than 3 weeks ago so happy enough with that. The guy I beat in that race ran a belter today and went under 1:30:00. There was a bit of confusion with the computer results so the trophies are going to be mailed to us. Early indications are that he was the M60 winner with me runner-up so another trophy gained for the cabinet if so.

Probably not doing another half now until early October unless one jumps out at me. A few shorter races through the Summer with some decent miles training and I hope to crack it then.

3000 miles

Great run, Chris. Getting close.

Chris UK

Great run, Chris. Getting close.

Thanks Kevin and thanks for looking after this thread. It's a great motivator for everybody attempting to do this.

3000 miles

40 mins for 10km is probably harder than 90 for the HM!

If you can do a 40 min 10k you can probably do about 1:28 for the HM.

Multi terrain 10km (gravel, grass and roads) on a very windy day but managed 42.08 so well chuffed. On a good day and a fast course I think I could have been close to 40 mins but it will have to wait

Next half marathon will probably be in early July - still think 90 minsfor the half is harder that 40 mins for a 10km !!!

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

hairshirt knitter

I'm running the Bluenose 1/2 in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Sunday. I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near sub-90. The more I think about this, the more I think this is the hardest of the goals, inclined to agree with Redgraffle. Holding 4:16s for 21k is tough.

Sunday, I'll head out at 4:30 or so, and see how I feel. It's a hilly course, so no expectations other than a tune up with 4 weeks to go to my goal half.

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend.

Alright. Big weekend.

Best of luck to:

Save Cheevers, St. Michael's Running Festival Half, MD, 5/19

Mendeldave, Brooklyn Half, NY, 5/19

Tchuck, Cellcom Green Bay Marathon (HALF), WI, 5/20

And to rubadhubh as well.

Go get em guys!

SMART Approach

No go. Worse time 8-9 years but heat was a bear in Green Bay. Crazy!They called the races at 2 hours and 20 min. Too many dropping and ERs were full. My time was 1:37:23. Can't control mother nature!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tchuck, from all accounts, that's pretty good considering the conditions. Tough break.

Time to re-commit to this and get on it. I'd like to hit this before I turn 50 (in two years) and while it's a personal and perhaps silly goal, mattering little in the grand scheme----the clock is ticking!

I didn't run a half-marathon as planned in March and then slogged through Heatfest 2012 (aka Boston Marathon). I am an old lady so I still hit a BQ even if it was a PW. I've decided against a fall marathon and will try and wrestle this 90 minute goal into submission in the coming months. 

I ran a 1:31:35 at the 2010 Hartford half-marathon and then a 1:31:37 at the 2011 Hartford half-marathon. Only counts in horseshoes and and grenades.....

I ran a 1:33 :05 on May 19 (Mother's Day half-marathon in Whately, MA) on no speed work and just goofing around, so I've set the baseline for what's next:

Dutchess County Classic half-marathon on September 16, 2012

Baystate half-marathon on October 21, 2012

November half TBD.

Congratulations to all the graduates!