Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Oops.  After shutting things down for the second half of June (quad strain) and laying low through July, I didn't feel I was ready to race a HM and DNS'ed Parkersburg.

I am still snooping about for a HM target for later this fall.  Probably not 'til early DEC, though.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Updated with what I know. Good luck all, lots of fall races coming up...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Thanks, Kevin.  I just checked the front page, and that list is looking kinda forlorn!  Hopefully, it's just been a combination of race-day bad weather and ambitious goal-setting.  I'm gonna make an effort to get another of us "over the wall".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

lagwagon

Thanks for the add, Kevin.  One minor change as my race has changed (Princeton sold out in July)  I'll be doing the Trenton (NJ) Half on Nov 10.

Still aiming for sub 90 min, but the training has been tough.  I'm up to ~50mpw, which i'm happy with and will plateau at.  I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the pace on my tempos....been able to work in 4mi @6:45 pace (also a few 2x15mins), but its definitely tough...I'd say 90-95% effort.   Tried to add a fifth mile last week but fell short (on a hot day).  

On the flip side, I had a couple of nice long (14 mi) progression runs last month.

Decided to scrap the quality work this week in prep for a 5k race tomorrow, and probably back off to only two quality days (tempo + progressive long run) for next week or two until I can shake that not-so-fresh-feeling in my legs.

L Train

Kevin -

Could you please add me to the list for Wilmington HM, 9/23 Wilmington, MA. 

Thanks.

You got it. Good luck, L Train!

I ran the River Run in Berea yesterday.  I was on pace for sub 90 minutes after 10 miles, but miles 11 and 12 were tough.  I ended up at 1:30:40.  One more chance this year, the Towpath Half Marathon on October 7th.

CNYrunner, Dutchess County Classic HM, NY 9/16

Good luck CNY!!!!

DanMoriarity

Can you add me for the Toronto Waterfront Half, Oct. 14?

mnyce Towpath and Dan in Toronto added. Good luck.

CNYrunner, Dutchess County Classic HM, NY 9/16

Good luck CNY!!!!

Thanks!

Sunday begins the journey......then another swing on 9/30 at the Smuttynose Rockfest half-marathon (NH) and then 10/21 at the Baystate half-marathon and if  90 minutes is still not conquered we'll see about November. Tough summer so this one on Sunday must be run with grit and heart.

Not logging my miles but running about 55 miles a week including track work, long runs, and a hilly tempo run when work travel doesn't keep me away from the hills of Western, MA. 

roar.

DanMoriarity

mnyce Towpath and Dan in Toronto added. Good luck.

Thanks. I ran a 1:21 several years ago, but haven't run a half in a couple of years and suspect it will be touch and go to break 1:30. Here's hoping ...

A swing and a miss.....not surprising though given the non-focused tough training months of June and July.

No excuses though, I gave it what I could on a perfect day for racing at the Dutchess County Classic in Poughkeepsie NY. 1:34:5x and 2nd in the 45-49 age group. First mile was a 6:55 and went through 10 miles in 1:10:06, so held close to 7:00s for longer than I thought and faded.

I haven't raced since the Memorial Day Marathon in Lenox, MA, so this was a good baseline and lets me know what I need to do more of now.

Onward to 9/30 and another crack at it!

Onward to 9/30 and another crack at it!

Nice. Solid effort and good rust buster to carry you on.

And this week...make way for the L Train...

hairshirt knitter

Hey Gville Kevin, please could you list me for the Valley Harvest half-marathon in Wolfville, Nova Scotia on October 7th? I was down to run the full, but I unexpectedly hit my sub-3:30 marathon goal this weekend!! So, one major race left on the calendar and one major goal left for 2012...

Recent running form has been (for me) great, but the Valley Harvest route isn`t very flat or fast, so we`ll just need to see how it goes. I`ve just done 4 races in the last two weekends, and other than a slight cold, have come through apparently unscathed. I might come off the boil big time now, but I have a couple of weeks to regroup.