Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

Nice. Solid effort and good rust buster to carry you on.

And this week...make way for the L Train...

Turns out my chip time was a 1:33:5x....so while still not at goal, it's closer. On to 9/30 and the work ahead. Thanks for the thread!

Fixed. We don't give up full minutes 'round here.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      L Train

And this week...make way for the L Train...

Thanks GVille. 

But if I'm honestly assessing where I am, I don't think this is going to be the race, even though it should have been (the course and time of year is perfect for it).  I'll be happy with 1:32, sad to report. 

Thanks GVille. 

But if I'm honestly assessing where I am, I don't think this is going to be the race, even though it should have been (the course and time of year is perfect for it).  I'll be happy with 1:32, sad to report. 

What's sad about it? Isn't this a train-through race?  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

What's sad about it? Isn't this a train-through race?  

Yeah, pretty much, but I don't feel like the problem is that I'm tired from training.  My body just isn't responding as quickly as I expected, at least so far.  Sad's not really the right word.  I think it's just weird for me mentally posting goals that are slower than I've run before in that not so distant past (heck, 8 months ago) when I've actually had OK training.

MTA: That post looks whiny.  That's not how I meant it.  I'm just saying it feels weird to post goals that are slower, though I know inevitably that's where everybody gets.  No biggie, as long as I can keep it together well enough to run a BQ time in Philly.

Yeah, pretty much, but I don't feel like the problem is that I'm tired from training.  My body just isn't responding as quickly as I expected, at least so far.  Sad's not really the right word.  I think it's just weird for me mentally posting goals that are slower than I've run before in that not so distant past (heck, 8 months ago) when I've actually had OK training.

MTA: That post looks whiny.  That's not how I meant it.  I'm just saying it feels weird to post goals that are slower, though I know inevitably that's where everybody gets.  No biggie, as long as I can keep it together well enough to run a BQ time in Philly.

Not whiny, just in the thick of training and tired.  I am confident you will more than keep it together, post-taper. 

Why is it sideways?

About 5 days after my last race on September 9th, I developed some pretty severe pain in my left leg just above the ankle.  Turns out I have a stress fracture and won't be able to run for at least 3 more weeks.  I was only 40 seconds off of the 90 minute goal!  I'm so frustrated!  Hopefully it heals quickly and I can get 1 more shot at 90 minutes this year. For now it looks like I won't be able to run the Towpath race in October.

lagwagon

mnyce,

Stress fracture is a bummer.  Although its contrary to the spirit of this thread, for my money, 40 seconds is close enough to say you run a 90 min HM (save the "sub" part for next time.)  At any rate, its a nice new PR for you...  

Careful on the comeback though, 3-4 weeks sounds optimistic for a stress fracture...even the more typical 6 weeks passes quickly, just heal right or you'll risk doing it over again too soon.

lagwagon,

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.  I certainly don't want to do this again any time soon (or ever).

I hadn't posted a <1:30 goal in here because, frankly, I didn't think I'd hit it this year. But...

9/23 - Wilmington HM: 1:29:20. Huzzah. 

Running the Baystate HM 10/21. We'll see how much the short course at Wilmington helped.Big grin

L Train

Missed by a mile - no worries.  Congrats George, you looked great as you laughed at me while passing. 

I hadn't posted a <1:30 goal in here because, frankly, I didn't think I'd hit it this year. But...

Running the Baystate HM 10/21. We'll see how much the short course at Wilmington helped.Big grin

WOOT!

DanMoriarity

Way to go!

Missed by a mile - no worries.  Congrats George, you looked great as you laughed at me while passing. 

Thanks. You worked hard this week. Nice intervals Thursday, BTW.