Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2012) (Read 6766 times)

hairshirt knitter

Well done Chris - nice one! That's a great time, and a fantastic result overall.

Not for me today, on this very scenic course. I'll take the recent best 1:31:37, but this was a hilly course and not for especially fast times. Only 18 people out of 534 went under 1:30, and my time was good for 26th overall. Oh well, going to have to leave it for 2013 now!

Ugh.

Gun Time: 1:35:28
      Chip Time: 1:34:56
      10K Split: 44:10

Hit the 10K mat and just slowwwwwwwwwwed. Going to incorporate some more 5K and 10K races (which I like MUCH better anyway!) before the next attempt in spring 2013. ONWARDS!

lagwagon

Chris,

Outstanding race!  I looked at your log and was instantly impressed by the tremendous summer of training you had.  Very happy to see it translate into a huge result.  Hard work pays off! Congrats!

L Train

Congrats Chris!

Just had a quick look on the UK rankings and this puts me around 30th place in the country for M60 age group.

Wow! Congrats!

Chris UK

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and good luck to everyone else attempting.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

DanMoriarity, Toronto Waterfront Half, ON, 10/14

Best of luck Dan!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

CNYrunner, Baystate Half, Lowell, MA 10/21

EGH3, Baystate Half, Lowell, MA 10/21

Go George! Go CNY! And I'll actually be there to hopefully get an IRL report.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Thanks. And yeah, Gville's going to run back to back sub 1:30 halfs Sunday. 

Thanks! Taking another swing at it and excited to do so---or crazy, or both.

Go George and yes, Go Kevin!

Perfect day for racing in Lowell and even ran a PR and got closer, BUT this isn't Horseshoes or Hand Grenades and almost doesn't cut it.

1:31:33  1/78 in the 45-49 age group----happy about the age group placement although the awards listing has me inexplicably in 2nd behind someone who ran 23 minutes slower than I did. Hey! It's correct on the overall listing, so whatever. But hey! I want my swag!

Not sure what it is with me and **&%##$$ 1:31  Three years in a row now and at an October half-marathon, I ran a 1:31:33 

I usually go out too fast, so kept telling myself to relax in the first mile and maybe I did that too much---7:20 for my first mile. I looked down as we passed the marker and saw that on my watch and thought Oh S...t!  I had gone out at the Dutchess County Classic in 6:36. Oops!  So I tried to stay calm and focused on getting to mile 4 at 28:37 and then 9 miles at 1:01:34----actual: 4 miles was 27:35, 9 miles----forgot to look and then 10 miles at 1:08:58 ( a 10 mile PR...heh)....so I got excited again and said...okay, just a 5k....Do this! Not sure where that minute or so went, but there it is...another 1:31---most tactics were okay----carried my own water, cut the tangents, didn't freak on the little inclines and flew down the other sides like a child with abandon. I zoned out a bit in mile 5 and mile 9 and that was dumb....and I didn't mix up the paces well. I get into a pace groove and need to surge and kick. I feel like a high schooler again trying to get down below 2:30 in the 800---once I did, I ran 2:18-2:21, but dang it took forever. Time for some more fast-finish workouts and maybe hire someone to pace me from mile 10-13...any takers?

Anyway, happy with the 81st place overall and the ever so slight PR by seconds.

Two more 2012 chances:

November 25 Wolf Hollow 1/2 marathon in NH

December 9 Holiday 1/2 marathon in CA (have to be there for work, so why not?!)

I'd really like to graduate, but the pursuit is fun too.

George!? How did it go? Where you wearing a Swamp singlet and neon-green flats? If so, I think I saw you. 

Never mind...figured it out. .... Excellent! 

Kevin?!   Nice work and a BQ! You'll get the sub 3:00 I am sure.

Nice run, CNY. 

George did great, but he can make it official for the thread.

I managed, one sub 90 half, but kinda blew up after 20 miles. Run and learn...definitely a beautiful day though.

I'll put those two on the calendar for you. Keep it up!

L Train

George!? How did it go? Where you wearing a Swamp singlet and neon-green flats? If so, I think I saw you. 

That was me.  You likely saw me because you likely passed me.   

That was me.  You likely saw me because you likely passed me.   

Hey L Train....yeah, figured as much and sorry I didn't know to say anything...not that I could force words out of my mouth anyway.  You did block the breeze for me for a bit in the early miles, so thank you....I barely clear 5' 2" and running amidst tall folks is quite helpful. Live to fight another day for both of us, eh?