Would this piss you off? Runner literally pushing another runner to the finish - I'll explain (Read 1129 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

The past two weeks I've run races where I'm slightly faster than another runner, but the last 1/4 of a mile her much faster husband comes and literally pushes her to the finish. The effect of his pushing makes it so that passes me with less than 10 feet to go (well, the first race she passed me, the second I knew what he was doing and I pushed myself harder). I'm not talking about her husband coming out and saying "go you can do it" and pacing her in, I'm talking he LITERALLY puts her hand on her back and is pushing her. It pissed me off, but I'm feeling like maybe it should not because even though he's touching her, she is still doing the work. Maybe I just need to motivate myself better or something.

Bring it on.

Jill_B

I fly.

I should add that these are small races - less than 150 runners in each.

Bring it on.

Any form of cheating does piss me off......but unless you are running for prize money it probably doesnt matter all that much....and you and she both know who won. So I dont think I would waste too much time worrying about......everyone that saw the races (other runners) know too......So, yes it would piss me off,, but no I dont think it 'really' matters.....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

The voice of mile 18

that seems across the line of fair play to me. it's one thing to cheer her on or pace her but actually pushing is too much. i would be definitely irritated not sure about full blown pissed

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

mikeymike

No it wouldn't piss me off. That's just weird.

Runners run

I'd probably be annoyed, but wouldn't really worry about it. If it's a USATF or IAAF sanctioned race (and possibly RRCA - I'd have to check the rule book) then you could complain to race officials, but chances are that for a non-prize money local race of 150 people you'd be wasting your (and the officials') time. Any sort of aid to a runner from a volunteer or spectator has always resulted in a DQ, and new rules with IAAF and USATF recently make it so that you can't receive aid from other runners either. Not sure if those went in last year or this year; I'd have to look it up. Don't stress about it; just use it as motivation to kick their asses. And since the husband is faster, does that mean that he has finished and is doubling back and then helping out? If so, then that would be even more annoying. You could always tell them that it annoys you and ask them to stop. That'd probably be easiest.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Go Pre!

it's just stupid but wouldn't bother me.
                  I could care less about the cheating part, but I think it is just plain dangerous. If he pushes her to hard and falls, she is then a hazard for runners behind her. Maybe a word with a race official would be in order and they could say something to him. Just my .02 Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
                  Jill_B

I fly.

And since the husband is faster, does that mean that he has finished and is doubling back and then helping out? If so, then that would be even more annoying. .
                    I didn't really consider it cheating, just annoying I guess. But yes, the husband finished about 5 minutes before and then ran up to about 1/4 from the finish and waited for her.

Bring it on.

I was wondering if you time was faster in the second race. It sounds to me that you also receive a push by running harder to keep her and husband from passing you. So if this has help you run faster and run harder I would say it is a good thing however if she was to keep you from placing in you age group or keep you from get some type of prize then something should be said. but if not who cares, in the end you are really just out to run the best you can and have fun right. With that said I couldn't feel good about my self if I had someone pushing during a rund. I personally find all cheating repulsive
                        I used to visualize the guy ahead of me pulling me along... I never thought of just roping him and actually doing that. This sounds like the kind of guy who would yelll at umps for calling his kid out or would do half of the kid's science project to try and make him win a prize. I'd think of it that way.

I agree with Mikey that it's mostly just weird. And I can't imagine that it really improved her time much anyway. Someone physically pushing my back near the end of a race would probably slow me down...and pull back a bloody stump.

It pissed me off, but I'm feeling like maybe it should not because even though he's touching her, she is still doing the work. Maybe I just need to motivate myself better or something.
                            She is not doing all of the work. She is receiving assistance from another person in the form of a secondary propelling force. Such an action is a violation of USATF Competition Rule 144, "Assistance To Athletes", which states: 1. Competition under these rules consists of self-propelled motion without assistance. 2. Except as provided in road races (Rule 241 - Medical and safety Concerns for Road Events) and in long distance walking events (Rule 232), during the progress of an event a competitor who has received any assistance whatsoever from any other person may be disqualified by the Referee. "Assistance" is the conveying of advice, information or direct help to an athlete by any means. If the races that you ran were conducted under USATF Rules of Competition, then she would be subject to disqualification. Even if the races were not conducted specifically under USATF rules, it is clearly a selfish and unsportsmanlike act which no credible race director would condone. If an age division award were at stake, then I would report it to the race director. In any event, I would be perturbed. Of course, any incentive to "dig a little deeper" and pull out a stronger finishing push is always welcome. Smile
                              That's just wacky. If I did that to my wife she would turn around and knee me in the nuts. Is this a pre-planned race strategy of theirs or he just comes back and finds her to encourage her at the finish and gets carried away with his "support".
                                That would definitely piss me off, regardless of the size of the race or what place it was for.