badges for achievements (Read 687 times)

xhristopher

Trent, I kinda thought you would have posted the tattoo link to the real achievement badge.

Julia1971

I like badges in that they motivates users and keep them addicted to the site.  Many websites employ this technique (join date, post count, stars, thumb ups, badges) so from a business standpoint, it makes sense.  From a skeptical view point, it's gimmicky.

On the few sites I can think of that do this kind of stuff, I find it kinda gimmicky.  But, I'm on board the make Eric Smiley Face rich train, so I would join MegRuns and channel my inner Girl Scout.

kcam

I'm on board as long as we call them pieces of Flair.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

15 minimum.

Not dead. Yet.

• The amount of processing needed to determine the earned badge is computationally complex.  What happens if you recorded a marathon and subsequently issued a first marathon badge, then changed the workout to a 5k instead?  Every time a workout is modified, the system has to recheck all badges, which could get very expensive.

I don't think you need to would need to recheck the badges each time.  You could tie the badge to one (or a number of workouts).  Then if any one of the dependent workouts was changed, the badge would become invalid.  I don't really see a foolproof way to do it so people can't cheat though.  Any time you are basing medals on user entered data, you are opening up the opportunity to cheat.  All I would need to do is make a workout that says I ran a 2:00:00 marathon, and I would get a badge.  Anybody who actually did that is a jackass though, and wouldn't last on the site long.

Is there a national database of running times that you could tie into?  I don't know if such a thing exists, but if it does it could hold a treasure trove of data.  Basing medals off of that list would be totally cheat free and probably easy to do.  Just have the user enter some sort of identifying info in options and then download their data.  That data could be used for all sorts of other things as well.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Wing

Joggaholic

I suggest BYOB, and put them up on your profile page. The whole running log is an honor system anyway...

dennrunner

I've been thinking about this feature a lot (a hectare?) lately.  There are 3 challenges in adding this feature:

• The amount of processing needed to determine the earned badge is computationally complex.  What happens if you recorded a marathon and subsequently issued a first marathon badge, then changed the workout to a 5k instead?  Every time a workout is modified, the system has to recheck all badges, which could get very expensive.
                  • Coming up with badge worthy achievements.  As npaden said, where do you draw the line?
                  • Coming up with badges.  I'm not a graphic designer.  Creating icons and images take me much longer than writing code.

I like badges in that they motivates users and keep them addicted to the site.1  Many websites employ this technique (join date, post count, stars, thumb ups, badges) so from a business standpoint, it makes sense.  From a skeptical view point, it's gimmicky.2

1. Too late. Who's not already addicted?

2.  Very.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't think you need to would need to recheck the badges each time.  You could tie the badge to one (or a number of workouts).  ..

Or you could make them opt in, and have a menu/button to "Update Badges" -- move the processing to opted in users who are specifically trying to update theirs.

Or even go into a badges menu, and click "Apply" for a particular kind, for it to process to check if you qualify for that kind.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges...."

It is kind of gimmicky.  And I'm sure some subset of people would like/be motivated by them.  Perhaps you'd need a poll to gauge how seriously people are interested in this.

The original version (slightly altered by Mel Brooks)

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Now get off my lawn.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Queen of 3rd Place

Let's see, we already have mileage groups, a way to track PRs, and graphing tools that enable informal analysis. Outside of RA, every tiny local race gives out awards and participation goodies. You can get a medal for finishing 13.1 mi in 3.5 hours (e.g., Disney) or 26.2 in 7, 8 or more hours (LA, NY, Bataan). OTOH if it makes people happy and keeps them running, it could be a good thing. *shrug*

Ex runner

You'll ruin your knees!

I am overdue for my Lurker Badge... wait... crap!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

You get a special Soul of the Raccoon badge.

Tiefsa

Nature called when I was running, so I had to go number two in the woods badge.

I think this one is actually for making paper from trees, but I see it differently.

You'll ruin your knees!

You get a special Soul of the Raccoon badge.

Heh!  Missing title... King of DamNation!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)