badges for achievements (Read 687 times)

Julia1971

So let's say I'll add this feature, what kind of badges would you want?  I will need this info to assess the complexity of the feature and thus whether it's worth my while to delay other features.

Let's see.  Off the top of my head...

• Miles run.  Maybe different colors for every 500 mile increment.
    • Races run.  I'm not sure PR badges would work since people who were fast when they were younger would never get one.  But maybe different badges for running a certain number of standard distance races (5K, 10K, Half, and/or Full).
    • Log stalking related achievement badges.  Maybe some badges that might signal to people that this might be someone whose log they may want to look at to achieve what they've achieved.  (Sorry, that sentence was painful).  For example, a BQ badge or sub-20 5K badge.
    • RA achievement badges.  Maybe some fun badges specific to RA culture like a "member since" badge. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Could we make it retroactive? Like, could I get a badge for the PR 5k I ran in 1977? Because that would be cool.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The badge for letting a kitten drive your car will be cool too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Could we make it retroactive? Like, could I get a badge for the PR 5k I ran in 1977? Because that would be cool.

If it were only going forward I would need to consult with Doug Litton on how to earn badges.  It would seem, IMHO, kind of silly to judge one's running accomplishments by some arbitrary date assigned by when the functionality goes live.

If I were concerned with stinkin' badges, that is.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Sorry guys.  I was way under the weather yesterday and didn't do much.

I doubt the badges would be a money maker.  My only interest in adding it is because you asked for it.  Having a "Company X badge for doing Y" is more gimmicky than the badges feature.  This is why I'll never be rich...

So let's say I'll add this feature, what kind of badges would you want?  I will need this info to assess the complexity of the feature and thus whether it's worth my while to delay other features.

If it delays the implementation of ANY worthwhile features then don't add it.

xor

I would not prioritize badges high on any list, but they can be cool.

Some are site-related.... "5 year member" (either by join date or amount of running log data collected) and whatnot.  "10k club" or something related to total mileage collected in the running log perhaps.  I dunno about a badge for annual mileage.  Maybe a badge for being a member of a few of the user groups here... like 'ultrarunner' or 'trail runner' or 'marathoner' that links to the group.  But only a few of the groups that want this.  (it could help increase discoverability of certain groups, perhaps)

Some might be community-related... badges to denote mods might be cool.  Beyond that, have to be careful... popularity contests can be annoying.  Badges for post count can be annoying.

Some might be running-related... I guess the 10k club is running related, but I brought it up above because it implies usage of the log here.  The running related ones, I dunno.  Maybe some specific ones that are user-selectable.

I don't think there "needs" to be any badgery, and if this goes forward, just a few to begin with.

One thing I like about the feature longer term is that it is open ended.  A way to add badges later... designed by others if you don't want to be Art Boy... might be cool.  And can add a sense of community.

Or not.  I'm kind of ambivalent personally.

xor

Oh also... as this site possesses a community with a sense of humor (in most cases), a few fun badges should be included...

"I survived the coolrunning migration"  (based on join date)

"I survived the RWOL invasion" (based on join date)

An ostrich badge... well, just because

Maybe a "bagel".  I do not know how you earn this one.

Perhaps an 8 ball.  Only including that one because I don't understand it.  So I mock it.

Finally: badges don't have to display on posts (except perhaps the mod badge and stuff like that).  In profiles.  Which users already select whether to display or not.  Maybe in running logs. Processing overhead for this should be lower.

Considering the number of users who access RA via smartphones and tablets (I say, typing on my iPad), I'd urge badge placement so as to not increase screen clutter or page length.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

OK, random thoughts from someone who really doesn't care about badges:

- Post count badges -- eh.

- "thumbs up" badges -- if some mechanism to "like" or "thumbs up" posts etc, it gives some sort of real meaning above post count

- membership time badges -- some validity to this -- number of years

- Distance PR badges -- 5K/10K by 30sec or 1min, HM by min or 5min, marathon by 15-30min over 3hrs and 10min under 3 hrs...1min under 2:30 (not going to be many here).  Ultras, talk to the experts (ie not me).

-Mileage badges -  seem kind of silly as YTD (not displayed long at end of year), but ok if reflecting what was done the prior year

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

- Distance PR badges -- 5K/10K by 30sec or 1min, HM by min or 5min, marathon by 15-30min over 3hrs and 10min under 3 hrs...1min under 2:30 (not going to be many here).  Ultras, talk to the experts (ie not me).

There might be a problem with time based badges for men vs. women.  I hadn't thought about that in my post but since I'm already scheming to earn every badge possible, realized the sub-2:30 badge might be out of my reach.