Help critique my interval workout. (Read 859 times)

I couldn't agree more with the guys vouching for the run by feel\effort approach.  I switched my philosophy in the fall of last year and I quickly reaped the benefits.  

I think the biggest thing for me was getting the work in. I had no idea if I was hitting my paces, because guess what there is no "pace" you should be hitting instead there is an effort. So this will work with a morning workout (not as sharp) a high mileage week workout (legs are tired) or on the other side if you are having a great day you will not be limiting yourself. Not bailing on the workout because after 3 reps your paces are dipping, because when you run them this way you rarely if ever go out too fast because you are not shooting for a time, and things generally feel better after a few reps. 

If you were curious after the fact about paces and what not, you could set up your Garmin to not show your pace but then hit the lap button for each rep and then check it after the fact (I do this for tempos).  Just remember when you are reviewing your workout what effort you were putting out at the time.  You are what you are, and it changes day to day.  Thats why effort over paces is a great way to go.

It may take a bit to adjust, you will feel naked out there for a bit.

Another thing that you hear is the garmin makes me run faster because I see my pace is slipping and then I pick it up. My response to that is that it's not helping you it's a crutch.  If you are paying attention to the way you are feeling you should have a good idea if you can run faster or not. It DOES mean you have to pay attention to your body\breathing etc.

It will make you a better runner.

npaden

The more I do this running thing, the more I think that some days are just good days and some days aren't quite so good.

Did this same workout (except 12 X 400m this time instead of 10 X 400m) and intentionally set the target at 7:30 pace instead of 7:20 like last time and this time I ran a little slower than the target pace instead of much faster than the target pace.

My average pace was 6:57 with an avg HR of 169 on the fast intervals for the interval set that I posted on the first post of this thread.

My average pace for the fast parts of the interval set I ran yesterday was 7:34 with an avg HR of 168.

Effort seemed to be about the same as last time and that seems to be confirmed by my HR numbers.

I think partly it is that it was day 6 in a row of decent volume of running for me, but I was coming off similar mileage last time, just 4 days in a row instead of 6.  Also I was sick over Christmas and thought I was fully recovered, but maybe not back to 100%.  Mostly I think it just wasn't a great day for some reason and I think my interval run  that generated the first post just happened to be on a really good day for running for me.

In some ways I think this last one was a better workout because I was much closer to actually meeting my target paces, my last 7 splits were 7:29, 7:31, 7:29, 7:35, 7:29, 7:35, and 7:26 so I was much more consistent at hitting my target pace and I actually was running without any markings showing the 1/4 mile marks, I was just really trying to focus on maintaining a consistent pace.

Actual splits were: 1:50.7; 1:59.3; 1:53.8; 1:53.5; 1:55.0; 1:52.1; 1:52.7; 1:52.2; 1:53.7; 1:52.2; 1:53.5; and 1:51.4.  This was on a 3/4 mile track around a park that I was somewhat able to pick out spots where I was going to start and stop the intervals.  The loop is a tiny bit over 3/4 mile so the start and stop spots were moving forward a little each time, but I had a general idea.  Maybe the 7:30 pace is just a pace that I can lock into fairly well for some reason, but I was pretty happy with my consistency on the splits anyway, especially those last 7.

I did change my audio cues to just tell me the distance and the current split pace.  Still had it set every minute, but like last time, most of the time it would only give me one audio cue during a split and if it gave me 2 cues during a split the first one would be inaccurate because it was too soon, but the last one would be pretty solid.  If I keep 7:30 pace as my target for all of my interval work on this first half of my plan I might actually get it sorted out where I can run that pace without needing a cue.

I did run my first marathon pace run the other day and I was really happy with my pacing on that.  I was shooting for 8:45 and ran my 5 miles at target marahton pace in 8:42, 8:41, 8:40, 8:39, 8:39.  I only had my audio cues set on every 1/4 mile on that run, but the traffic was heavy and I couldn't hear half of the cues so mostly I really feel like I was locked into a good pace and kept it going.

Oh well, I have a 2 mile race coming up on Saturday and I was really thinking I had a 14:00 in the bag after that first interval workout back in mid December, but after yesterday I'm not as positive about that.  I think I will go out at a 7:15ish pace and see where I'm at after the first mile.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

MrNamtor

I do too much speed work when I should be doing more long easier and steady runs. I know this, and yet I don't do it. Why? Lack of discipline.  I LIKE running sprints and doing fartleks and doing interval training. It's not wasted effort, because I have a certain type of fitness that many here don't have. But am i fast? Well, I am a fast sprinter, especially for my age, but my stagnant 5k time also tells me something.

Sooo...if i were to give anyone advice, i would tell them to do a lot of long slow/steady distance work before doing any speed work. That is the base for the endurance needed to do quality speed work leading to faster race times.

If i were a coach i wouldn't even have my runners do any speed work until about 6 months of long slow/steady distance training runs.

That's my 2 cents.

Slo

This

The more I do this running thing, the more I think that some days are just good days and some days aren't quite so good.

Slo

I had some time to come back and read your post in greater detail.

Don't over think it.

As far as the two mile...go out blazing. Don't discount race day magic. If I ran my 5k's based on my interval times I'd be going out 30 sec's slower. 14 should be in the bag.

Did this same workout (except 12 X 400m this time instead of 10 X 400m) and intentionally set the target at 7:30 pace instead of 7:20 like last time and this time I ran a little slower than the target pace instead of much faster than the target pace.

My average pace was 6:57 with an avg HR of 169 on the fast intervals for the interval set that I posted on the first post of this thread.

My average pace for the fast parts of the interval set I ran yesterday was 7:34 with an avg HR of 168.

Effort seemed to be about the same as last time and that seems to be confirmed by my HR numbers.

I think partly it is that it was day 6 in a row of decent volume of running for me, but I was coming off similar mileage last time, just 4 days in a row instead of 6.  Also I was sick over Christmas and thought I was fully recovered, but maybe not back to 100%.  Mostly I think it just wasn't a great day for some reason and I think my interval run  that generated the first post just happened to be on a really good day for running for me.

In some ways I think this last one was a better workout because I was much closer to actually meeting my target paces, my last 7 splits were 7:29, 7:31, 7:29, 7:35, 7:29, 7:35, and 7:26 so I was much more consistent at hitting my target pace and I actually was running without any markings showing the 1/4 mile marks, I was just really trying to focus on maintaining a consistent pace.

Actual splits were: 1:50.7; 1:59.3; 1:53.8; 1:53.5; 1:55.0; 1:52.1; 1:52.7; 1:52.2; 1:53.7; 1:52.2; 1:53.5; and 1:51.4.  This was on a 3/4 mile track around a park that I was somewhat able to pick out spots where I was going to start and stop the intervals.  The loop is a tiny bit over 3/4 mile so the start and stop spots were moving forward a little each time, but I had a general idea.  Maybe the 7:30 pace is just a pace that I can lock into fairly well for some reason, but I was pretty happy with my consistency on the splits anyway, especially those last 7.

I did change my audio cues to just tell me the distance and the current split pace.  Still had it set every minute, but like last time, most of the time it would only give me one audio cue during a split and if it gave me 2 cues during a split the first one would be inaccurate because it was too soon, but the last one would be pretty solid.  If I keep 7:30 pace as my target for all of my interval work on this first half of my plan I might actually get it sorted out where I can run that pace without needing a cue.

I did run my first marathon pace run the other day and I was really happy with my pacing on that.  I was shooting for 8:45 and ran my 5 miles at target marahton pace in 8:42, 8:41, 8:40, 8:39, 8:39.  I only had my audio cues set on every 1/4 mile on that run, but the traffic was heavy and I couldn't hear half of the cues so mostly I really feel like I was locked into a good pace and kept it going.

Oh well, I have a 2 mile race coming up on Saturday and I was really thinking I had a 14:00 in the bag after that first interval workout back in mid December, but after yesterday I'm not as positive about that.  I think I will go out at a 7:15ish pace and see where I'm at after the first mile.

tl:dr.

I don't worry about good workouts or bad workouts--both will happen. They are part of the process. Put them in the log and move on.

I agree with Slo_Hand re: the 2-mile. In December I raced my first two races under 5k in over 20 years: a mile and a 3000m, both on the track. The mile was first, and it was quite a shock to the system. The 3000 was a week later and the memory of the mile was still fresh so the pace was less shocking, but still felt insane. If you're only used to road races of 5k and up, 2-mile pace should feel insanely fast and never really let up.  Have fun.

Runners run

npaden

Thanks for the replies guys.

I read mikeymike's race report on his 1 mile race and I don't think I'm ready for that level of effort right now.  I've never run anything shorter than a 5K since maybe junior high school so I'm a bit worried about how it's going to come out.

I for sure need some race day magic if I'm going to hit 14:00.  My first 5K that I ran back in October I had a 6:55 first mile split then a 7:23 second mile and that was the result of race day magic.  Of course the 3rd mile was 8 something and I crawled to the finish line, but I've gotten in several hundred miles of running since then so I would think I could at least go that fast if I'm completely over being sick.

I think!  Slo_Hand has me pegged.  I better get back to thinking about writing these financial statements so I can get a run in after work!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

If you ran a 14:18 2 mile split, It'd be very surprising if you won't get a sub 14:00 2 mile.

npaden

My memory was faulty.  I went back and checked and my splits on that 5K were 6:55, 7:34, 8:15..

So a 14:29 split.  My PR 5K was a couple weeks later and the splits on it were 7:21, 7:18, 7:12..

To be safe I'm going to try to go out around a 7:15 pace on that first mile and then try to reel it in from there.  It's highly likely that I will run a little faster than planned on that first mile anyway.  Mentally I seem to have a lot better time with something left in the tank and pushing it in instead of nothing left in the tank and just trying to hold on.

MrNamtor

My memory was faulty.  I went back and checked and my splits on that 5K were 6:55, 7:34, 8:15..

So a 14:29 split.  My PR 5K was a couple weeks later and the splits on it were 7:21, 7:18, 7:12..

To be safe I'm going to try to go out around a 7:15 pace on that first mile and then try to reel it in from there.  It's highly likely that I will run a little faster than planned on that first mile anyway.  Mentally I seem to have a lot better time with something left in the tank and pushing it in instead of nothing left in the tank and just trying to hold on.

i think its amazing that you're 200 lbs and run those times. I would say that's pretty good for your body type.