Ballet (Read 1294 times)

I had no previous training but just started taking an Adult Ballet 1 class.  My motivation's increased balance, flexibility, and coordiation.  Anyone else using ballet to cross-train?  I've only had 3 classes so far but it surely is a lot more fun than going to a yoga class to me!

Eunice

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I never considered ballet, but I would love to do belly dance if I could rope a friend into doing it with me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If you ever move out East, I could hook you up. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you ever move out East, I could hook you up. 

There is an instructor in our area who is rumored to be very good, but I think it would be way more fun with one of my equally graceless friends. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I recently started using ballet to cross-train too. I am an ex-ballerina so I enjoy it much more than most other cross-training activities AND it is a very good way to strengthen your feet, legs, hips, core, etc... Good luck! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Thanks DirtyGraceFlint!  I'm planning on signing up for the fall term, too, which is 18 weeks as opposed to the summer session that I'm currently in that's only 7 weeks.  Any pointers or things I should pay attention to when cross-training with ballet?  Thanks again!

Eunice

kcam

I had no previous training but just started taking an Adult Ballet 1 class.  My motivation's increased balance, flexibility, and coordiation.  Anyone else using ballet to cross-train?  I've only had 3 classes so far but it surely is a lot more fun than going to a yoga class to me!

Eunice

Though I enjoy the ballet I don't think I'll be using it for cross training - that would be quite ugly.  One of my wife's friends is a long-time ballet performer.  She took it up as an adult and has been attending classes/workouts (whatever they call training sessions for ballet dancers!) and performing in small ballets once in a while for years.  She loves it.  I consider her ballet to be very much akin to us runners just doing it as a hobby.

BTW, I like your response to the Why Do I Run profile question.    "To feel more powerful and confident".  Outstanding! 

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Thanks DirtyGraceFlint!  I'm planning on signing up for the fall term, too, which is 18 weeks as opposed to the summer session that I'm currently in that's only 7 weeks.  Any pointers or things I should pay attention to when cross-training with ballet?  Thanks again!

Eunice

That's great! You must really enjoy it! I would love to take classes again but my daughter's schedule can be a bit of a pain to work around - but you have inspired me to look into fall classes

Pay attention to posture and form as much as you can...you are still learning! I think the most important thing is to move slowly and try to maintain control of your body and its movements. The slow controlled movements are what build strength and help to keep you from getting hurt!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

mikeymike

All I know is my about to be 11 year old is in dance and gymnastics 6 hours a week and she can run like the wind.  At least when she doesn't have a broken toe.

Runners run

xor

I know an about-to-be 11 year old who can break like the wind.

mikeymike

Yeah my daughter dabbles in hip hop but mostly she trains in the more classical styles.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

I know a 2 yr old who can break wind in classical style.

p90xvideodvd

The slow controlled movements are what build strength and help to keep you from getting hurt!

Eunice

Arthur Lydiard used to always say; "You should run like a ballet dancer, not like a weight lifter."  I'm assuming you want to cross-train to still do well in distance running (everybody's objective is different and, it seems to me, sometimes they have completely other objectives).  When you look at what you need to be a better distance runner, physiologically as well as mechanically, you should understand that your picked cross training should provide 60~70% of your max aerobic effort for a prolonged period of time, which I would imagine ballet practice would do; as well as to, as someone already had mentioned, strengthen your legs.  What Lydiard meant is that you'd need springy and bouncy strides, just like a ballet dancer on the stage, not bulky and clumsy, however strong they may be, strides.  You'll need powerful yet feather-light strides and ballet could be a perfect exercise to do just that.  One of the girls I had coaches was an ex-ballet dancer and she had no problem performing hill exercises.  She's run 19:30ish for 5. 

I know Yoga provides good flexibility and breathing effect; but I'm not sure how much "good flexibility" might contribute to distance running...  I'm not saying Yoga is waste of time; but I believe ballet practice could be a lot more effective.

wickedlady

Nobby, yoga offers much, much more than flexibility.  It builds a lot of strength, as you mentioned control of breath, lung elasticity, etc., and mental strength.