Well I didnt expect this! (Read 913 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I already completed my daily run this morning, but I decided that today I would do a double. I am increasing my mileage so I thought what the hell. I went somewhere in the car with my friend and I said to her, "Hey, I dont need a lift back, I will make my own way back" I regret this as I arrived back an hour later, wet through, bleeding and generally very tired. I tried a different route, and it was a big mistake, I ended up going thorugh cow fields full with 2 foot mud pools. I even had to negotiate 2 streams, which came up to my waist. My energy was really zapped, and I was covered in nettle and thorne cuts etc. I arrived home. My partner expected me an hour earlier, clean and dry, but I came in the house looking worse for wear and very wet and bloody But hey it was an experience. That is what running is all about eh, thought I would share this with you all. Perhaps you guys can add to this thread with your unexpected happenings whilst out running.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Doug Little

Eddy, Was it more of a case of poor planning or double running? I have done similar runs and it was the dumb idea of going 'way off course', not the run itself that ruined it for me. Try as double run again on the same course but run the 'second' leg in the opposite direction. I live near mtns and realized what a great view I had 'finishing' You are right..it is about the experience. Doug

Sounds like fun to me...

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Half Fanatic #846

Last week I decided to go on a 9 mile trail run for the first time. I saw several deer, passed one turtle, found plenty of mosquitos, a few small creeks to jump over, muddy areas, etc. The trail was mostly single track with a few lake views through the woods, lots of roots and stick ups, up and down short but steep hills, and sharp turns. I only tripped 5 times on tree roots (yes - I kept track) and had one major face plant. I ended up sustaining three cuts or scrapes on the back of my leg, and one very muddy knee. Got my shoes wet and dirty, and stopped several times to get twigs, acorns, and leaves out of my shoes (I ordered a pair of gaiters the next day cause I'm definitely goin' back!). All in all it was great fun! The only things missing were ticks and horseflies, but I can go back for those anytime this summer. Fortunately, I didn't bleed much. Surprised Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

kcam

Eddy - I'm picturing you dragging into the house looking the way my dog looks after he escapes from the backyard and is gone for a few days. Not a pretty site ... or smell. Wink

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy - I'm picturing you dragging into the house looking the way my dog looks after he escapes from the backyard and is gone for a few days. Not a pretty site ... or smell. Wink
              You have got it in one. My partner pretty nuch said that I wasnt entering the house until I had stripped off at the back door! I think I will wait until Summer ti try that kind of route again. It does unfortunately mean that I will have to keep plodding the roads for the moment until it comes warmer.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

That's incredible considering how cold it still is where you live. I have similar temperatures where I live. You won't catch me wading waist deep streams in near freezing temps!! http://uk.weather.com/weather/today-Lancashire-UKXX1882

Slow-smooth-fast

That's incredible considering how cold it still is where you live. I have similar temperatures where I live. You won't catch me wading waist deep streams in near freezing temps!! http://uk.weather.com/weather/today-Lancashire-UKXX1882
                  Yeah it was a little cold!

Bugs

We want pictures next time!

Bugs