Trying running as a commute - also dirty marketing tricks by Ottawa Marathon (Read 1057 times)

Wow that's pretty awesome. I was interested in the thread from the title. My commute in is about 1/3 yours though :/ How old is your little one? My guy is almost two and that's made me try to restart running (currently doing a learn to run thing) I walk/run him to day care twice a week Smile

Redleaf, I remember you as a fellow canuck from a couple years back, have you been hiding out in one of the user groups or just coming back to the forums?

Boy 1 turns 2 at the end of the year, Boy 2 is 3 months. Running with Thing 1 in a stroller was a couple time a week thing in the spring, momma needed time by herself while growing Thing 2. Hill repeats and marathon pace (effort) runs with the stroller got me strange looks. Dirty looks when I went by people.

Viich, I assume you're running alongside the Ottawa River into Hull?  Not a bad commute, but as I recall the snowclearing along that path gets pretty patchy as the Winter goes on. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Yea, that's what my brother says, but I'll give it a go with yaktrax as long as I can.

redleaf

Redleaf, I remember you as a fellow canuck from a couple years back, have you been hiding out in one of the user groups or just coming back to the forums?

Boy 1 turns 2 at the end of the year, Boy 2 is 3 months. Running with Thing 1 in a stroller was a couple time a week thing in the spring, momma needed time by herself while growing Thing 2. Hill repeats and marathon pace (effort) runs with the stroller got me strange looks. Dirty looks when I went by people.

Thanks - nope I basically stopped running when I got pregnant. I tried to continue a little but was actually a little relieved when the doc said I had to stop. After he was born (January 2011 - so just a little behind your Thing 1) I slipped back into my old (pre-running) ways. Now I've got an almost 2 year old and 50 pounds to lose so I thought I'd restart. Doing the walk/run thing and trying to get back into being consistent. Slowly trying to eat better too. I'll worry about the beer later Wink

I get dirty looks too. Mostly of the "why are you running" variety I think. That's one of the reasons I like the treadmill (although most don't). We joined a gym and I can just watch the news etc with earphones and ignore everybody else. 

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Redleaf:

It's not 'why are you running' in the way you think, it's that you running makes them feel bad that they're not. Very few runners I know, other than some kids, are supportive of anyone running, no matter how slow.

So, I've been get out twice a week so far, including an ice storm monday and nice and cold this morning. My next challenges will be maintaining running during the holidays and getting this routine started again in January. Yaktrax are definitely a must, and I may be shopping for something a little more aggressive.

Funny thing, I saw my footprints from my run Monday this morning, there were spots where only one other person had gone by in two days in a reasonably sized city.....

keeponrunning

Little can motivate one more than seeing 00:0? on a race time.  Welcome back to running Smile  Also, jealous that you live in Ottawa and run to Hull.  I'm a fellow Canuck but am south of you, and I wish I lived in Ottawa.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022