Scared to Run: treadmill or get over it? (Read 210 times)

Gizmo2019

Hi everyone! I’m back!!

(if anyone remembers me).

anyway, I’ve been a germophobe most of my life and it’s gotten worse as I age (not quite ocd). So with being shelter in place in beautiful California, I’m terrified of running outdoors.

im afraid someone’s going to run towards me in the opposite direction and breathe on me. And I wouldn’t be able to step off the track due to traffic. I know covid isn’t technically airborne but I’m scared. I could go out super early when there’s less people, but I don’t want to risk anything. We have 4 kids at home and no family around to help us if anything went south.

i was supposed to Start training again this spring for another 10k in oct (which not sure if they’ll hold it just yet), but hopefully the sf marathon in 2021.

i tried jumping roping and other things at home for the last 2-3 weeks and managed to get 2 miles a week for quick runs.

my husband thinks I gotta get over this fear and just go early and on non crowded paths. My issue tho is I’d have to get up super early 4-5 times a week, and as of now the sun is not up early enough to give me the time I’d need to add miles. I’ve already been just “maintenance” ing my endurance up until shelter in place running only 3-4 times a week 2-3 miles each time.

my feeling is, those miles aren’t worth what my goal is as I want to add on , build, etc, at the same time...the world is in a crisis! What does it matter?!? Just get fat, right? Who knows when races will Re open.

the other “non option” is a CHEAP treadmill. I have no room in the house (I hate clutter). I always planned to buy a super nice treadmill when we move back East where we’d have a basement and it’s too icy to run outdoors.

but for now in this house, I’m looking for something electric, that folds, that will last Maybe 5 yrs? Hopefully under $400?!! I did A Quick search and all the good ones are $1000+.

are there treadmills that can be stored and used outdoors?

im very clueless.

what are all you runners doing lately if you’re at home?

runnin gal

I'm fortunate to live in a large residential area with sidewalks and right now, not much traffic.  I don't worry about running outside at all, if  I meet another runner or dog walker I just give them space.  I don't have to touch traffic light buttons or use water fountains.  If I was in a more heavily populated area I would run as early as I felt I could do so safely.  Forget about races and training plans.  Even If races are being held again in the fall I will not be getting back into crowds yet.  My feeling is to try to keep up regular exercise and maintain a healthy diet.  Good health is the overall objective,  racing is a "non-essential."  Do what you're comfortable with to support  your physical and mental well being.  Stay well!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Are there reasons you can't run before the sun rises?  I often did that even before COVID, as it was the only way to get everything done in a day.

Also, a few notes in response to your background (with the caveat that I am not a medical professional, epidemiologist etc - just an idiot on the internet) that may give you a bit of reassurance.

1) Those tests showing how long the virus potentially lasts on surfaces, in the air, etc are conducted in labs.  Labs are not the real world.

2) As a general rule about viruses, your risk depends on the amount of exposure, with more being worse.  If you think about it, there are vaccines that work via exposing one to a very small dose of a live virus - small enough that your system can fight it off easily so that you develop the proper antibodies.

3) The big risk is from the virus getting into your system via inhalation (nose/mouth) or eyes (tearducts).  Just coming into physical contact with it on your skin won't make you sick.

None of which is meant to indicate that we shouldn't be VERY VERY careful, and adhere to all guidance given to us.  And definitely, if a route is too crowded to walk or run on without sufficient spacing, then we should be responsible and avoid it.  But I wouldn't lose sleep over a runner passing within 6 feet of me for an instant (unless they coughed or sneezed on me at that moment).

That being said, since it's getting very hard in my area to run outside while maintaining proper spacing, I did go ahead and rent a treadmill for 3 months.  You probably won't be happy to hear that I paid $1K for a 3 month rental.  Most of that was for delivery and pick-up charges - $250 for each (which I didn't think was too much, given how hard it was to deliver). The rental itself was $150 per month.  I am in the Washington DC area.

It is a good solid healthclub treadmill (Lifefitness), but still..my 3 month rental costs significantly more than you want to spend on a purchase.

Based on my research, I do not think you will be able to find a usable treadmill for under $400, especially since you will also have to pay for delivery, since it will be quite heavy.

I'd also note that, in my limited experience, the cheaper treadmills are much less pleasant to run on and can be hard on your body.  Purchasing a treadmill so you can keep running will not prove a good investment if you get injured and can't run.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Can you wear a headlamp in the mornings so you can run earlier? You said the sun was t up early enough so I swims that means you can’t see which a flashlight and headlamp could fix. 

As for being a germaphobe, yeah even after microbiology and immunology I’m not worried about people coughing on me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Yooper3.1

my feeling is, those miles aren’t worth what my goal is as I want to add on , build, etc, at the same time...the world is in a crisis! What does it matter?!? Just get fat, right? Who knows when races will Re open.

Yes, after all of this is over, we'll see a lot of folks who have put on the COVID 19.

SMART Approach

A few points.

- The virus can be spread by droplets in air

- If avoiding people (crowds) while running and maintaining social distancing....even if someone coughs exactly as you were running by the odds of it getting to you 6+ ft away is very rare. AND this is assuming they have the virus

- Any running is valuable running

- Be aware and safe outside.

- TM doesn't seem like a great fit for you. I think you need an outlet and getting outside is it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

Gizmo, just do what you are comfortable with, if getting up and running early adds to your stress, then the benefits of the run for your immune system will be negated by the added stress. I am currently getting up early like i have for the past ten years and still running, in fact, in a complete act of foolish hope, i am actually still marathon training because as of yet, the marathon i am planning to run in mid May has not been cancelled yet. when I pass people we just give each other space, most everyone where i run is good about staying on the left side of the road, so if someone comes towards me they are on the opposite side of the street. also, where i live there are currently no cases in my suburb and less then 100 in my county. but me being comfortable running outside doesn't mean that you have to be.

sorry, no idea about treadmills!

if you can't run then how about just trying to maintain some fitness. there are all sorts of workouts online right now. one i found that my daughters and i all enjoyed was a list of the ABC's and after each letter was an exercise (30 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, 1 minute wall sit, 25 jump squats....that sort of thing) and you had to spell your whole name as the workout. it was fun and we had a great time! my youngest daughter has a long name so we allowed her to use her nickname Smile  there still lots you can do at home right now to get your body moving even if running isn't possible. and if you maintain a little bit then when you do feel comfortable running again, you already know what you need to do to build up and you will be ready to go!

Gizmo2019

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. I also live in a huge residential area with lots of sidewalk space. When I leave my subdivision, there’s a sidewalk on either side of a 4 lane road for recreational folks. Plus a bike lane. There are traffic signals every 1/2-3/4 mile. One of my fears was when I’m on those sidewalks..it’s a gorgeous path lined with sometimes tall bushes..there’s no way to escape. Or if I jump into the bike lane, THEY (understandably get mad at me 😃). And I’m mostly afraid of a biker coughing and trailing his infected droplets into my open mouth. If I’m panting while running, So is anyone else who s running close to me. In the past when I’d do my early morning long runs ..as winter approached, I’d have to start later in the morning which meant more car traffic. Which meant having to hit the crosswalk button (but there’s only really one major intersection) and usually I use my elbow or fist. And I think you’re right runnin gal, to just forget racing goals for now. I think

i can feel comfortable with just mild improvement and holding it.

darkwave: I’ tried running in the dark before and I’m too scared now. I used to bd invincible but after having dependents, “I need me, for them.” I’m mostly afraid of bobcats attacking me or any feral cat, being faced with coyotes, and package thieves tho I’m thinking they are laid off lately. You’ make great points on the virus lab tests. All things I’m aware of but still don’t trust (I’m in healthcare too but no expert). Thanks for reassuring me.

you are also right about the treadmill issue. I’m not happy at all that you spent $1000 to rent something for 3 mos!! Couldn’t you have just bought a new one for a thousand more?! Jk

i totally understand and yes i Won’t be happy with anything tinky-dink. My plan when we moved into a home with a basement was to buy one that goes downhill too, I hear those are even more pricey.

Brewing: no headlamp bc I need to see like a 1-2 mile radius to feel safe. I once went out at the crack of dawn, barely any light, an owl hooted at me, following me for like 1/2 a mile. It almost ate me. I never ran so fast that morning.

Yooper: with all the baking they’re making me do, it’s more like the covid 39. And yes I HAVE to eat it too! 😡

Gizmo2019

A few points.

- The virus can be spread by droplets in air

- If avoiding people (crowds) while running and maintaining social distancing....even if someone coughs exactly as you were running by the odds of it getting to you 6+ ft away is very rare. AND this is assuming they have the virus

- Any running is valuable running

- Be aware and safe outside.

- TM doesn't seem like a great fit for you. I think you need an outlet and getting outside is it.

You’re right as usual. What I don’t like is the inconsistency in my workouts. Maybe I need a plan and so my minimal weekly runs will be more acceptable to me.

my routine used to be pretty solid: M-T diff types of treadmill running, Sat hike or long run.

its the droplets in the air that scare me. Wind carrying the droplets.

Gizmo2019

Gizmo, just do what you are comfortable with, if getting up and running early adds to your stress, then the benefits of the run for your immune system will be negated by the added stress. I am currently getting up early like i have for the past ten years and still running, in fact, in a complete act of foolish hope, i am actually still marathon training because as of yet, the marathon i am planning to run in mid May has not been cancelled yet. when I pass people we just give each other space, most everyone where i run is good about staying on the left side of the road, so if someone comes towards me they are on the opposite side of the street. also, where i live there are currently no cases in my suburb and less then 100 in my county. but me being comfortable running outside doesn't mean that you have to be.

sorry, no idea about treadmills!

if you can't run then how about just trying to maintain some fitness. there are all sorts of workouts online right now. one i found that my daughters and i all enjoyed was a list of the ABC's and after each letter was an exercise (30 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, 1 minute wall sit, 25 jump squats....that sort of thing) and you had to spell your whole name as the workout. it was fun and we had a great time! my youngest daughter has a long name so we allowed her to use her nickname Smile  there still lots you can do at home right now to get your body moving even if running isn't possible. and if you maintain a little bit then when you do feel comfortable running again, you already know what you need to do to build up and you will be ready to go!

This is great advice thanks! I’m going to try that abc thing.

we have about 200 cases so far ..and I know of a few in neighborhoods 4-5 miles away...

I think I just have to find a good balance of being careful and being routine.

that said I just came back from a short 2 miler but it felt good. The thing I hate is having to constantly watch who is where and where to go to avoid. I think I will try to get up early a couple times a week as it gets lighter earlier. With the goal of trying to be back before the monsters get up!!

thanks everyone...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

you are also right about the treadmill issue. I’m not happy at all that you spent $1000 to rent something for 3 mos!! Couldn’t you have just bought a new one for a thousand more?! Jk

Theoretically, yes, but it didn't make sense to do for practical reasons.

1) I wanted a really high quality treadmill - those would run me several thousand.  (I could save $ by purchasing a supposedly high quality one that was used or refurbished - but all of those listed on the internet have a "scam" feel to them, if that makes sense)

2) Right now, it's not doable for me to have a treadmill permanently.  It needs to leave my house when this all is over.  We have space for it, but we don't have a GOOD space for it.  It's sitting in the middle of a living area, in front of a sofa..    (we have a basement, but the basement has a very low ceiling, so the treadmill can't be used there.)

I like this set up because I have flexibility - if I need the treadmill for longer than mid-June, I'll just extend the rental period.  And if for some reason we decide we can keep it permanently, I'll make the rental firm an offer.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm on the opposite coast (MD) and we got issued a stay at home order this week. I've been home from work for about 2 weeks now. One thing to do is try to figure out when the busiest times are for people to get out and about and run when the fewest people are out. Chances are that will be in the morning. Near me, the kids & teens are out in force in the afternoon. I find the morning crowd is way more friendly about social distancing (basically all parties move in the opposite direction to make sure there is more than 6 feet when passing). This is not happening in the afternoon and after yesterday I decided I need to run in the morning.

I also find that if I run along the busiest road, there are fewer people. It's the neighborhoods that are packed. I'm also avoiding the track because people decided that while gatherings were banned, it was acceptable to hold soccer & lacross practice.

With the situation now, you do the best you can. If it means getting out for 2-3 miles a few times per week, do that.

I do a have treadmill that is not the best, but it works. Our old neighbor had asked DH for help loading it into a truck to take the dump because he didn't want it anymore. It wound up in our basement instead.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We are allowed outside for physical exercise where I live as long as we observe social distancing. Instructions from a local race committee were as follows....

1. Run close to home. Stay out of the parks and off the usual trails.
                            2. Run alone or with members of your household.
                            3. Share your run on social media instead of running together.
                            4. Celebrate when this is all over with your fellow runners at a local race.

The hardest one for me is #1. Those parks and trails are full of people who have taken up running bc the gyms closed. This has me running short loops in my own neighbourhood. I haven't run more than about 1.5 miles in any direction from my house. It's out and back in one direction, then out and back in another direction and repeat. It's hard to get the mileage in, but I'm doing something and I remind myself that these are not normal times. A run of any distance is better than no run.

The race group have since posted the following gem which I think makes a really good point too.

In these unique times @RunRegina reminds you to run or walk directly from home. If you have to drive somewhere to run, you’re doing it wrong. Run or walk alone or only with family members, and respect the 2-metre “bubble.” Let’s lead by example and #flattenthecurve.

People are driving to parks here to run and that's not helping. Wherever we live, we need to practice social distancing and think about our own health and safety as well as the health and safety of those around us when we do decide to run outside. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We are allowed outside for physical exercise where I live as long as we observe social distancing. Instructions from a local race committee were as follows....

People are driving to parks here to run and that's not helping. Wherever we live, we need to practice social distancing and think about our own health and safety as well as the health and safety of those around us when we do decide to run outside. Smile

Part of the problem I face is....my local area IS very congested with runners, including the sidewalks.  Heavily populated area; lots of fitness junkies.

I've been driving places to run because I can get MORE spacing there.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There is a horrible part of me that suspects in another few weeks all the brand new runners are going to have overuse injuries from doing too much too soon, and things may clear a bit.