Scared to Run: treadmill or get over it? (Read 210 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sincec you're in CA, this likely is not an option, but people here tend to be fair weather fans of getting outside. So if it's raining, you will likely encounter far fewer people than on a beautiful day.

kcam

I live in San Jose and we generally have very nice weather and lots of people out walking, running, biking etc.  I love trail running but right now I avoid trails, parks, sidewalks and bikepaths, no matter what time of day.  I stay on the streets as there's so little traffic you can pretty much run right in the middle of the oncoming traffic lane.  See a car or a bike  coming?  Move over.  That simple.  Walkers and almost all runners are over on the sidewalk.

I've done some really long nice runs exploring neighborhoods I would never have run through if traffic was like it was before this happened.  Things will return to normal one day and I'll then head back to the trails but for now I'm enjoying the solitude of neighborhood street running.  You might give that a try.

kcam

Yes, after all of this is over, we'll see a lot of folks who have put on the COVID 19.

😆

Christirei

There is a horrible part of me that suspects in another few weeks all the brand new runners are going to have overuse injuries from doing too much too soon, and things may clear a bit.

this made my day

I live in the SF Bay Area. There are almost always decent treadmills on CL for FREE.

I actually have a Bowflex 216 I got a few months ago sitting in my garage as a spare for when the treadmill my life accomplice uses finally breaks. I got it from someone who was moving and didn't want to take it, they had bought it to "get in shape" and used it for maybe a month. If we get an extended rainy period again, I might just plug it in and do runs at home to keep pace with the bunny. Well, at this point, to try to catch up!

So, take a look at the "free" section of CL and ND, and have a truck ready to bring on home.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

nika

I really, really detest running on a treadmill, so the answer for me is easy: be careful, but run outside anyways.

I take a tissue with me to avoid touching the door of my apartment building directly when I leave the house, benefit from the fact that "home office" means I can run at odd times (like when it's beginning to rain ^^ ), and avoid parks and other popular outdoor areas. During a 45 minute run I typically see less than 5 other people, and if we are close to each other for a moment passing on a sidewalk without much space to keep away, I have actually tried holding my breath until I'm past them. Not sure if that helps at all, but it makes me feel a little safer...

Of course, if you can get a treadmill you like for an affordable price, that would probably be the safest option. But one other option if you want to do some cardio inside, but treadmills you like are too expensive: if you have a bike, you could get one of those indoor training stands where you mount in your own bike. A lot cheaper, and you can carry it around to store it somewhere at the side of the room when not using it.

It's not running, so obviously a sad second best , but if you only feel comfortable for quick runs outside, you could still do those and then jump on the bike right afterwards. That way you extend your endurance training time without spending more times outdoors.

Gizmo2019

Theoretically, yes, but it didn't make sense to do for practical reasons.

1) I wanted a really high quality treadmill - those would run me several thousand.  (I could save $ by purchasing a supposedly high quality one that was used or refurbished - but all of those listed on the internet have a "scam" feel to them, if that makes sense)

2) Right now, it's not doable for me to have a treadmill permanently.  It needs to leave my house when this all is over.  We have space for it, but we don't have a GOOD space for it.  It's sitting in the middle of a living area, in front of a sofa..    (we have a basement, but the basement has a very low ceiling, so the treadmill can't be used there.)

I like this set up because I have flexibility - if I need the treadmill for longer than mid-June, I'll just extend the rental period.  And if for some reason we decide we can keep it permanently, I'll make the rental firm an offer.

This was well thought out then of course and good to know. I’d have to put mine in front of a couch or bed if I bought one now, too. You’re lucky you have something. I’m not used to these “limitations “ tho no one is and well it’s humbling

Gizmo2019

I'm on the opposite coast (MD) and we got issued a stay at home order this week. I've been home from work for about 2 weeks now. One thing to do is try to figure out when the busiest times are for people to get out and about and run when the fewest people are out. Chances are that will be in the morning. Near me, the kids & teens are out in force in the afternoon. I find the morning crowd is way more friendly about social distancing (basically all parties move in the opposite direction to make sure there is more than 6 feet when passing). This is not happening in the afternoon and after yesterday I decided I need to run in the morning.

I also find that if I run along the busiest road, there are fewer people. It's the neighborhoods that are packed. I'm also avoiding the track because people decided that while gatherings were banned, it was acceptable to hold soccer & lacross practice.

With the situation now, you do the best you can. If it means getting out for 2-3 miles a few times per week, do that.

I do a have treadmill that is not the best, but it works. Our old neighbor had asked DH for help loading it into a truck to take the dump because he didn't want it anymore. It wound up in our basement instead.

It’s the same situation here. We ve been shelter in place for a few weeks now but there’s some who still have lacrosse coaching sessions. Normally i DO go out when there’s not many but the problem now is that everyone s been home and have taken over my territory AND my schedule. I was scoping out the area this morning at the crack of dawn and there were about 50-75% of runners out super early doing the same thing I was thinking Of (or had been) doing .

not only that just these last couple day’s I’m noticing more ppl out tiring of this social distancing and just not moving... 🤦‍♀️

Gizmo2019

We are allowed outside for physical exercise where I live as long as we observe social distancing. Instructions from a local race committee were as follows....

1. Run close to home. Stay out of the parks and off the usual trails.
                    2. Run alone or with members of your household.
                    3. Share your run on social media instead of running together.
                    4. Celebrate when this is all over with your fellow runners at a local race.

The hardest one for me is #1. Those parks and trails are full of people who have taken up running bc the gyms closed. This has me running short loops in my own neighbourhood. I haven't run more than about 1.5 miles in any direction from my house. It's out and back in one direction, then out and back in another direction and repeat. It's hard to get the mileage in, but I'm doing something and I remind myself that these are not normal times. A run of any distance is better than no run.

The race group have since posted the following gem which I think makes a really good point too.

In these unique times @RunRegina reminds you to run or walk directly from home. If you have to drive somewhere to run, you’re doing it wrong. Run or walk alone or only with family members, and respect the 2-metre “bubble.” Let’s lead by example and #flattenthecurve.

People are driving to parks here to run and that's not helping. Wherever we live, we need to practice social distancing and think about our own health and safety as well as the health and safety of those around us when we do decide to run outside. Smile

This is great...and true. Yes I really can’t afford the time to drive and run. Waste of time for me and as of now..lots more ppl out. But I’m sure I can find a good time here and there

Gizmo2019

There is a horrible part of me that suspects in another few weeks all the brand new runners are going to have overuse injuries from doing too much too soon, and things may clear a bit.

Fingers crossed! 😬😬😬 just kidding!

Gizmo2019

Sincec you're in CA, this likely is not an option, but people here tend to be fair weather fans of getting outside. So if it's raining, you will likely encounter far fewer people than on a beautiful day.

Ah yes..fear of the rain! I love running in it and I can go out in it when it’s a sprinkle to me. Even cloudy Is fearful here. But as I said...they’re getting smarter (and probably cabin feverish)

but definitely less..problem is there’s all these “new” runners with all the same ideas!!

Gizmo2019

I live in the SF Bay Area. There are almost always decent treadmills on CL for FREE.

I actually have a Bowflex 216 I got a few months ago sitting in my garage as a spare for when the treadmill my life accomplice uses finally breaks. I got it from someone who was moving and didn't want to take it, they had bought it to "get in shape" and used it for maybe a month. If we get an extended rainy period again, I might just plug it in and do runs at home to keep pace with the bunny. Well, at this point, to try to catch up!

So, take a look at the "free" section of CL and ND, and have a truck ready to bring on home.

Hey there...I’m too grossed out using used things. You know this virus is bringing out the worst in me!!! 😉 besides that it’s also about space. But you’re right, I’ve also seen free ones on nextdoor

Gizmo2019

I really, really detest running on a treadmill, so the answer for me is easy: be careful, but run outside anyways.

I take a tissue with me to avoid touching the door of my apartment building directly when I leave the house, benefit from the fact that "home office" means I can run at odd times (like when it's beginning to rain ^^ ), and avoid parks and other popular outdoor areas. During a 45 minute run I typically see less than 5 other people, and if we are close to each other for a moment passing on a sidewalk without much space to keep away, I have actually tried holding my breath until I'm past them. Not sure if that helps at all, but it makes me feel a little safer...

Of course, if you can get a treadmill you like for an affordable price, that would probably be the safest option. But one other option if you want to do some cardio inside, but treadmills you like are too expensive: if you have a bike, you could get one of those indoor training stands where you mount in your own bike. A lot cheaper, and you can carry it around to store it somewhere at the side of the room when not using it.

It's not running, so obviously a sad second best , but if you only feel comfortable for quick runs outside, you could still do those and then jump on the bike right afterwards. That way you extend your endurance training time without spending more times outdoors.

I do the same: hold my breath and taught my kids to do the same when on walks. In fact before all this they were instructed not to breathe if we walk. By someone smoking too.

I’ve tried cycling and it’s just not my thing for some reason. I like biking on trails but it doesn’t give me the same euphoria as running, nothing does 😕

but I am adding some cardio in here and there...Doing best I can with what we have. Could be worse

Hey there...I’m too grossed out using used things. You know this virus is bringing out the worst in me!!! 😉 besides that it’s also about space. But you’re right, I’ve also seen free ones on nextdoor

My life accomplice is a big germaphobe, too. This has been an especially difficult time for her. I have to bite my tongue A LOT over her unfounded concerns and cleanliness mania. Do you also put UPS packages in the oven at 150 degrees for half an hour?! 😁 What's weird is that she was a licensed colonic hydrotherapist in NYC (but hasn't done that work in 10 years). Maybe that's why she's so scared of germs!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

My life accomplice is a big germaphobe, too. This has been an especially difficult time for her. I have to bite my tongue A LOT over her unfounded concerns and cleanliness mania. Do you also put UPS packages in the oven at 150 degrees for half an hour?! 😁 What's weird is that she was a licensed colonic hydrotherapist in NYC (but hasn't done that work in 10 years). Maybe that's why she's so scared of germs!

No! But I’m going to do that NOW! Great idea. I have been having my husband bring it from the front door to the garage. He then let’s it sit then opens and disposes of all packaging g immediately.

if we have to use something immediately I wipe it down? Otherwise it sits somewhere where no one can touch it for weeks..tho there’s no known cases of transmissions this way. I am also a licensed healthcare worker. What’s nice about certain dpts is they teach you all sorts of tricks on how to “escape” germs!! She must have been super clean while at work..