Scared to Run: treadmill or get over it? (Read 210 times)

My advice is sort of similar to several people on here. I live in Monterey CA (an hour or so south of the bay area) and ive still been going outside for my runs everyday. A big thing has just been hoping off the sidewalk  when passing people or if someone is coming the other direction. It rained all day on Sunday and i was able to do a long run where i saw 10 people total in 16 miles. For that I was out at a park in a relatively secluded area with trails wide enough that you can keep 6 feet away from people.

The only thing that is causing me any anxiety is the few people i have seen (mostly walking not running) that walk side by side or 3 or 4 wide so it is virtually impossible to pass them without getting within six feet of them. In normal times it is just rude, now it is also potentially dangerous. 

At the end of the day don't do anything you don't feel safe doing. Find something you can work on at home that is a current weakness in your running game if you don't want to get out of the house too much. Most running drills can be done indoors, you can also work on range of motion/flexibility, balance/stability, core work. Stuff like that.

Gizmo2019

This is my problem too. I actually feel now that running while watching out is KINDA defeating the mental purpose. I also have ppl here’ who refuse to move and I either have to jump in front of a car, hold my breathe/cover my face, or slither away till they pass. I’m limiting now to about once a week and it’s depressing me. I still can’t come up with a great alternative at home. I mean there’s tons of things online but haven’t found anything to closely replicate the same results (mental). At the same time I’m just dabbling here and there and not being too serious with the alternatives...just trying it out with a poor “this sucks” attitude. Need some motivation. I’m used to running outside and only seeing 2-5 people within 5-10 miles. It’s different now. Otherwise it’ was mostly treadmill at the Clubhouse where I had my running space to myself

No! But I’m going to do that NOW! Great idea. I have been having my husband bring it from the front door to the garage. He then let’s it sit then opens and disposes of all packaging g immediately.

if we have to use something immediately I wipe it down? Otherwise it sits somewhere where no one can touch it for weeks..tho there’s no known cases of transmissions this way. I am also a licensed healthcare worker. What’s nice about certain dpts is they teach you all sorts of tricks on how to “escape” germs!! She must have been super clean while at work..

The things we do and tolerate for the people we care about! Make sure to give the Hub a big hug for cooperating and doing things like that to relieve your stress about the coronaplague!

I had to go to a different spot to run, too many people were clogging up the Bay Trail near where I live. Maybe you can find a place that isn't very popular with walkers? Maybe even multiple laps around a cemetary or empty sports field (they're not SUPPOSED to gather to play soccer...!). If all you touch is your own car door handles, you're completely "safe".

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Yes, much credit to you guys. IVe convinced him of many things! And likewise he’s successfully argued against many things as well. We both talked about different routes tonight plus timing so I’m going to try something tomorrow..he also suggested loops in a parking lot..im not a looper (hate that!) but beggars can’t be choosers ..we ll see how it goes and if no one else has my same thoughts..

parking lot beats running back and forth on a patio! I didn't think about that, a closed megastore will have a huge parking lot and no cars or people. Maybe turn it into a quality workout to make it more interesting. Like across and back for time (200 meters?), with a single cross jog/walk rest; 10-20 repeats.

I suggested a cemetery because in my past experience they are almost always empty. In Eugene, we had three different cemeteries that we'd sometimes workout at; each having a different aspect (hills, surface, corners). Other old Ducks will remember doing "graveyards" across from Mac Court for XC season.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just one comment - I think there are differing opinions about the appropriateness of running in cemeteries.  For myself, I'd have no issue with people running where my relatives are buried, or even over my own grave when that time comes (hopefully not too soon...).

But I know of quite a few people who feel differently about the topic, including some serious runners.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I'm referring to running on the ROADS that criss-cross cemeteries, not on the grass above the graves!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'll second parking lots. Our tracks got closed last week due to the people holding unoffical sports practices on the fields, which shut down my idea of doing 1 mile time trials every other week, because, why not. I've measured out the local school parking lot, which is usually empty now. If you are lucky enough to have multiple schools close together, the parking lots may connect for even bigger loops.

flyrunnr

I'm referring to running on the ROADS that criss-cross cemeteries, not on the grass above the graves!

I think Darkwave understood that, and was referring to the “appropriateness” of using roads within a cemetery, some people because of religious, spiritual, or social beliefs may think that burial grounds (entire property) should not be used as a playground or place for running. I don’t agree with that, but I believe my deceased grandparents would feel that way, heck, they thought it was disrespectful to wear a baseball cap in the house.

I do have friends that in a local cemetery, not sure if they get any strange looks.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

kcam

parking lot beats running back and forth on a patio! I didn't think about that, a closed megastore will have a huge parking lot and no cars or people. Maybe turn it into a quality workout to make it more interesting. Like across and back for time (200 meters?), with a single cross jog/walk rest; 10-20 repeats.

I suggested a cemetery because in my past experience they are almost always empty. In Eugene, we had three different cemeteries that we'd sometimes workout at; each having a different aspect (hills, surface, corners). Other old Ducks will remember doing "graveyards" across from Mac Court for XC season.

Reminds me of doing 'diagonals' on the infield of a HS track.  Only thing is you'd have to watch out for and jump over multiple parking 'guides' or whatever they call those pieces of cement that delineate the parking spot.  I guess that'd make it into a XC workout!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think Darkwave understood that, and was referring to the “appropriateness” of using roads within a cemetery, some people because of religious, spiritual, or social beliefs may think that burial grounds (entire property) should not be used as a playground or place for running. I don’t agree with that, but I believe my deceased grandparents would feel that way, heck, they thought it was disrespectful to wear a baseball cap in the house.

I do have friends that in a local cemetery, not sure if they get any strange looks.

Exactly.  

I know in my area, it's absolutely verboten to run through Arlington Memorial Cemetery.  Like  unthinkable I can't believe you asked that.  

On the other hand, they held a 5K race in February in Congressional Cemetery, so....it really depends.  But I wouldn't just go running in a cemetery unless I was reasonably sure it was socially acceptable to do so in that cemetery.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Thanks for the clarifications! That all makes sense.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Exactly.  

I know in my area, it's absolutely verboten to run through Arlington Memorial Cemetery.  Like  unthinkable I can't believe you asked that.  

On the other hand, they held a 5K race in February in Congressional Cemetery, so....it really depends.  But I wouldn't just go running in a cemetery unless I was reasonably sure it was socially acceptable to do so in that cemetery.

Somehow, Arlington is different - I agree. OTOH, in my hometown we have an annual turkey trot in a cemetery. People wearing silly hats, the whole nine yards.  5K, actually.

Gizmo2019

My run ended up being okay. For what I have available. I left a bit after first light and still saw about 3 ppl walking, 1 runner starting out on my way in, 4 ppl conducting business, and 4 cars. Not bad but a lot for a mere 3 mile run! I did a few loops in a parking lot by a soccer field (closed..tho we have also had groups still sneaking in practices). I’m still worried when I’m out and not AS relaxed but it’ll do 1-2 times a week for now (till I start whining again).

as far as cemetary runs, I had already considered running in one but only where my late father rests and for the mere purpose of “being with him” in hopes I’ll see him (yup still not over it!!). Definitely in my family they would think that is disrespectful pounding on the ground (even on the roads) around the graves bc it may “disturb” them. Plus I wouldn’t be dressed like a nun while running so my bare arms would also be disrespectful, not to mention music in my ears, instead of prayers for the dead.

for sure I’d ask the cemetary grounds keeper first, but I’m pretty sure if other visitors saw me they may be upset. Esply if they’re visiting someone young who left us way too early. 

and another deterrent to running in the grave is ive watched way too many movies (poltergeist!) and I’d be cautious if someone possessing me or following me home!! 👻

I have no graveyards around me tho...

an amazing likeness

I once ran a half marathon on an unseasonably hot and humid day and at about mile 10 the course popped off a riverside trail to a dirt road around a cemetery in the open, bright sun.  I considered just lying down right there to save everyone time in carrying me back from the finish line.

In another half marathon I've run a few times the course has a series of long uphills and sharp downhills, and on the worst of them you run by a coffin maker.  I always think I should have called ahead and pre-ordered....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.