Stationary bike while injured (Read 152 times)

Christirei

hi all, recently found out I will not be running for potentially several months due to a stress fracture. I am getting a stationary bike off craigslist tomorrow to use in the meantime. I have absolutely no experience with cycling and have never even sat on a stationary bike. The last time I rode was in high school. Just unsure of what to do, how to begin, if I am used to an easy paced run for about an hour most mornings what does that look like on a bike? What about if PT gives me the okay to do some higher intensity workouts? What would a forty minute tempo run at an eight minute pace translate to on a bike? Thanks for any advice

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You really need to go by effort, moreso than pace.  A HRM is going to give you a better idea of what you're doing...or even perceived effort, vs mph.  Bicycle mph is completely dependent upon the weight of the bike, the geometry, wind, riding solo vs. pacelining with a group, terrain, tire selection, etc.  There's not an easy way to say running min/mile = bike mph.  Stationary bike speed calibration is completely arbitrary.  Is it calibrated to match a 13# carbon racing bike or a 40# fat bike?

Your best bet is to simply pedal at the effort level that you'd run, then record whatever mileage you get for that time duration.  Also, you likely want to shoot for a cadence of no less than 80rpm...or even 90.  Take it easy on that fractured leg.  No "mashing" slower, harder gears.  Spin easy, get your heart rate up, but don't put tons of force behind your pedal strokes.  Clipless pedals and shoes might be something to consider to help make the best use of all of your leg muscles, not just your quads.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wait a minute...did I see you fractured your pelvis?  Did your doc OK you to ride a stationary bike?  I'm not certain that's safe with a broken pelvis, unless a doctor OKs it.  You still put plenty of weight on your pelvis on the bike.  Less than you would running, but there's still force/pressure involved for any of the 3 contact areas on a bike -- pelvis, feet, hands.

~ Sarah Kay

Christirei

thanks Zoom-zoom

I do have a stress fracture, but the sports med doc that I saw recommended the stationary bike to me, he said that or swimming and i don't have access to a pool, i guess i will see how it feels, will start PT next week too so they might have an opinion one way or another

MoBramExam

Your race times indicate you are from LS.  If you will be down for an extended period, might want to check into Legacy Park Community Center with the indoor pool and lap lanes.  Discount for residents.  Have some running friends in your area who have used the facility while recovering from impact related injuries.

DigDug2

I spent January and February cross-training on a stationary bike while recovering from achilles tendinitis.  I felt like I stayed in decent aerobic fitness - still took me 4-6 weeks of running afterwards to get back into "running shape", but on the whole I was happy with it as cross-training.  My thoughts:

• Keep cadence above 90 RPMs, even 95+ - this prevents you from trying to muscle through and will help your stride turnover when you return to running
              • For effort level, go by your HR - will typically be somewhat lower than you running HR at the same level of exertion, but I found that because there's no impact, your easy days on a bike don't need to feel as "easy"/low-exertion as your easy run days.
              • Do a lot of intervals, increasing the resistance for 2-5 minute stretches (while still spinning smoothly).  Cycling is boring, and intervals keep it somewhat fresh.
              • Do a spin class occasionally, if available
              • Your workouts should be somewhat longer than your running workouts for the same fitness benefit.  So your hour-long easy run might be a 75 minute easy-ish bike ride.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Perhaps check out some TheSufferfest.com videos, too.  Last Winter I was doing them at least 1-2x/week all Winter and they really helped me not lose a ton of bike fitness over those long months.  They are hard...some are really REALLY hard.  Different focus with each one.  You can make them as hard or as easy as you can handle.  Plus they're pretty engaging.  Similar to dreadmill running, "nowhere biking" can get really boring, really fast.

~ Sarah Kay

pedaling fool

I spent January and February cross-training on a stationary bike while recovering from achilles tendinitis.  I felt like I stayed in decent aerobic fitness - still took me 4-6 weeks of running afterwards to get back into "running shape", but on the whole I was happy with it as cross-training.  My thoughts:

• Keep cadence above 90 RPMs, even 95+ - this prevents you from trying to muscle through and will help your stride turnover when you return to running
                  • For effort level, go by your HR - will typically be somewhat lower than you running HR at the same level of exertion, but I found that because there's no impact, your easy days on a bike don't need to feel as "easy"/low-exertion as your easy run days.
                  • Do a lot of intervals, increasing the resistance for 2-5 minute stretches (while still spinning smoothly).  Cycling is boring, and intervals keep it somewhat fresh.
                  • Do a spin class occasionally, if available
                  • Your workouts should be somewhat longer than your running workouts for the same fitness benefit.  So your hour-long easy run might be a 75 minute easy-ish bike ride.

There are some good points made above, but I do take exception to the remark about cycling being boring, but then again I'm primarily a cyclist.

One thing I would add is to incorporate standing up occasionally while cycling, but you may want to check first with your PT professional, since you have a fractured pelvis.

Standing brings in many more muscles and gives your workouts a whole new exertion level, but you most probably will want to adjust the pedal resistance prior to standing, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpVnViacDKY

Christirei

Thanks all for the great advice, I tried out my "new" stationary bike this morning and I have some thoughts and questions

- my legs feel like jelly, and I only pedaled for about 30 minutes, but covered 10 miles. Should I treat this the same was as someone starting running for the first time? You know the typical run/walk advice, build up time running slowly. Should my focus be time? or distance?

- How do I count the cadence? do I actually count the number of times one foot goes around for a minute? I have done in the past with running, but this seems harder to do on a bike

- When running on the treadmill I would set the incline up just a bit to help it feel more like running on the roads outside, is there a standard resistance setting you use when cycling on a stationary bike? Like, should I just always set it to 2 and assume that is the "equivalent" of being outside?

Thanks so much for all of the input!

pedaling fool

Thanks all for the great advice, I tried out my "new" stationary bike this morning and I have some thoughts and questions

- my legs feel like jelly, and I only pedaled for about 30 minutes, but covered 10 miles. Should I treat this the same was as someone starting running for the first time? You know the typical run/walk advice, build up time running slowly. Should my focus be time? or distance?

- How do I count the cadence? do I actually count the number of times one foot goes around for a minute? I have done in the past with running, but this seems harder to do on a bike

- When running on the treadmill I would set the incline up just a bit to help it feel more like running on the roads outside, is there a standard resistance setting you use when cycling on a stationary bike? Like, should I just always set it to 2 and assume that is the "equivalent" of being outside?

Thanks so much for all of the input!

Yeah, that jelly feeling is why cross training is so good for the body, because one exercise is never completely transferrable to another and no one exercise works all body parts in the same way -- just keep at it and that jelly feeling will go away.

Here's a video showing how to count cadence, but if you really want to work on it you may want to get a computer that counts cadence, but I'm not sure if you can get one for a stationary bike  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PjoUXAgh30

Here's how they work for traditional bikes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4KcfDy4Vw

As for setting a resistance level, I can't even begin to guess, because there are many different types of stationery bikes and I have near zero time on them. However, I would just concentrate mostly on cadence and heart rate and let that determine your resistance level.

One thing about bikes is that environmentals (on the road) generally have a much greater effect your cycling, especially wind and hills. A little wind can have an enormous effect on your effort level. And to get an idea of what effect hills have, just watch any professional European bike race and you'll see a bunch of drunk people being able to keep up with the very fit cyclists, see here, kind of entertaining      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0W__FNIGwA

pedaling fool

- my legs feel like jelly, and I only pedaled for about 30 minutes, but covered 10 miles. Should I treat this the same was as someone starting running for the first time?

BTW, that time/distance = a 20 mph pace. Don't expect to transfer that to riding on the road, for all the same reasons listed above and more, even the surface texture of the road can have a significant effect on your cycling. Also, just like on the treadmill you miss out on air resistance on the stationary bike; however, that is so much of a bigger factor on a bike than running, not to mention wind....

I do remember riding a stationary once and regardless of your cadence it had a default speed of ~20 mph; that might be the case here.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, what brand/model/year stationary bike are you using?

Christirei

brand is Sunny Health and Fitness

I had to stop though, it hurt to badly  Sad  to much pressure in my pelvis I guess

NHLA

An old rule of thumb is 3x as fast on bike to = running or 7 min mile running = 21 mph on bike.

I ride 21 mph for 15-20 min then do core work. I never stay on bike long cause it will hurt your hindend.

An old rule of thumb is 3x as fast on bike to = running or 7 min mile running = 21 mph on bike.

I see. So then a 10 min mile running = 30 mph on the bike? Sounds legit.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I never stay on bike long cause it will hurt your hindend.

And that's why your hindend never stops hurting...  If I haven't been on the bike much my ass will hurt bad in <10 miles.  If I've been riding a lot I can pedal across the state (~150 mi). and my butt is about the only thing that doesn't hate me by the end.

~ Sarah Kay