Training Suggestion Needed (Read 766 times)

Hi All - This last November I started the CR C25K running plan. In January I started the Hal Higdon Spring Training plan and just finished it. I most recently ran a 10K race with a time of 1:06. I am a 46yr old male and before last November running was only to the kitchen for a beer. My problem is for the first time I am without a training plan or an idea of what I should do to progress. I am interested in running the Long Beach Marathon (or 1/2) in October but I can not start one of the many plans out there because I would finish the plan long before the race. Any ideas what I might want to do? My base miles are at about 15 miles/week. I was thinking of increasing it to 20 miles prior to starting a training plan. I have been in running shoes for a 1/2 year. Am I being to aggressive to run a marathon in October? I also want to run the Los Angeles Marathon in Mar 09. Running LA in 09 is a goal that is important for me. I have added events in my log with my plan on increasing my base miles and my log is public. Any and all comments are not only welcome but appreciated. Mike
      With no reservations whatsoever I would encourage you to put off the marathon for a bare minimum of one year. Rather than start your marathon training at a level far below what you would need to run a marathon, why not buidl up to that level, e.g. 50 miles per week, and then start your training? I see you have some weight to take off too--get that done first. If you can do these 2 things you will know that you are ready to start training. In the mean time try some shorter races and stick with them for a while, rather than falling into the "complete the next longest distance" mode every time you finish one. Running will be so much more satisfying if you don't rush it. Don't listen to all the "you can do it" glad handers that will push you into running marathons on about a third of the preparation you will need. It's the "in" thing to do nowadays so you'll have plenty of people pushing you along if that's what you want. Just my .02
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

The Greatest of All Time

I was in a somewhat similar position at one time. I started running from the couch in January and ran a fall marathon in 3:09. I also lost 60 lbs in the process. I don't remember what my base miles were at this point in that year, but I do remember being up to 15 mile long runs by mid April. I think by May I was up in the 50 MPW range and didn't go much higher than that. I was, however, about 20 years younger than you currently are. From an academic standpoint, I agree with Jim24315 in full. But I did something very similar so I know it can be done and I am no one special.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          So perhaps a 1/2 in October is more realistic? I am planning a 5K on memorial day weekend and want to get in a 10K sometime after that. With a 1/2 year of running should I increase my base or keep it at 15 miles for now? Mike

The Greatest of All Time

So perhaps a 1/2 in October is more realistic? I am planning a 5K on memorial day weekend and want to get in a 10K sometime after that. With a 1/2 year of running should I increase my base or keep it at 15 miles for now? Mike
            I think a 1/2 in October and than the LA next year is a very good plan. It's reasonable and gives you plenty of time to do it 'correctly'. Don't ever ask me for the text book answers to training because I never read the book. But, I always suggest you increase your base as much as time and health will allow. There is nothing wrong with running more miles if your body and family can handle it. Just don't do too much too soon. I wouldn't advise increasing weekly mileage for than 10% per week (I did read that somewhere but have rarely followed it myself). Don't worry about any speed work. Slowly work in some hills when you can, but don't get crazy. Have fun with it. The first year of running for me was the most magical because you make the most gains that first year, or at least I did. Obviously a 15 MPW base will not sustain proper HM training. But I can't tell you what number to shoot for. I think at your level the long run will be the most important weekly or biweekly event and then you can fill everything in from there. You just did a 10K so you can already run 6.2. Work up to 10 miles and then hold it there for a month or two. Then start to slowly increase that long run distance as you build toward the race. I would try for a long run of around 15-16 miles two weeks before the HM. You will get it done. Enjoy the ride.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              What is the rush to do the longer races? There are plenty of 5K's and 10K's out there that you can easily train for at your current level of conditioning without getting hurt. At your level you will seriously regret a decision to run a marathon this fall. I would recommend a base of at least 25 miles a week for a full year before attempting to train for one. I have a 21 year old niece who I gave the same advice to last year. She was at about the same level of conditioning as you and ran the LA marathon this spring. She now has ITBS so bad that she can hardly walk. Even beginners level marathon training programs take a healthy toll on your body and the weaker your base the bigger the toll. I would definitely recommend that you cut back to the half this fall and even then just train to finish it not race it. In the mean time, work on slowly building your base so your muscles and connective tissues have time to catch up to your enthusiasm. Tom
                Hi Mike. I agree with the others about putting off your marathon for a while. That being said, if you really want to do it, it is possible but it won't be easy, painless, or pretty. I think your half in October is an excellent goal. I ran my first half within 6 months of starting to run and wished I had put it off another 6 months or so. I would slowly build up a base right now. 15 mpw is a decent start. Before you start training for your half marathon, I would work up to running 25-30mpw comfortably meaning that running that kind of mileage is not making you tired and affecting other areas of your life too much. It shouldn't be obtrusive because these are your base miles (training is another story). Make sure your base miles are slow so that you gradually build up your muscles and don't get injured. If you don't have a HRM, I highly suggest getting one. It's nice to have that biofeedback so you can tell when you start to overdo things. If I'm getting sick or starting to get tired, I will notice an increase in my HR during a run up to a week before I start to show symptoms. What I do for progession when I'm not following a training guide is I will set a goal of running x miles per week and then I break it down from there so I have one longer run, one medium run, and two short easy runs. An example is this week I'm trying to hit 20 mpw so today I did a little over 4 miles, tomorrow is 3 miles, Friday is 8 miles (my long run), and Saturday will be about 6 miles (medium). What's nice about planning like this is it leaves me a lot of flexibility. If tomorrow I go out and am feeling fantastic, I can easily make that my 8 mile run and then run 3 on Friday.
                Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                  OK, guess I just needed a reality check. Marathon will be out for a while. I will plan on doing the 1/2 but only to finish, not race. As Jim mentioned I do not need "Go do it" glad handers telling me to go for it. I appreciate all the honest input here. I think as a beginner runner you see in a 1/2 year how far you have come and figure that a certain long distance run is doable without giving thought to things like base building which takes time. Mike
                    Good luck, Mike Fwiw I wanted to sign up for a marathon a few months after I started too, but an elite runner who sold me one of my first pair of running shoes talked me out of it. I took his advice and trained for a year. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and led to an extremely rewarding year--one I'll never forget. Keep us updated on your progress, and again--good luck
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    JakeKnight

Hey M1ke: Its hard to argue with the above advice. If you have your heart set on the marathon, you can do it. It'll hurt, but you can finish one. If your goal is to run one to say you did it, cross it off your life list, and then go take up kayaking or something ... I say go for it. But if you want to make running a permanent part of your life, and go on to run lots and lots of marathons, and get fitter and faster, and have a good time doing it ... waiting is probably smarter. I ran my first on almost no training. And then didn't run a step for at least 3-4 years because of that choice. I suspect if I'd done it right, I'd be a lot faster today, because I never would have stopped running. Besides - the half marathon is fun. I've only done one, but I swear its my favorite distance. I now wish I'd run several of them before I started doing marathons. And last but not least, if none of the above appeals to you - don't forget that if you do the half, you'll still have the goal of a marathon waiting out there. It's great to have new distances to reach for. Good luck to you, whatever you do.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

My biggest goal is to keep of the injured list Big grin I will be holding off for now.
                          Thanks for the post Mike - I'm in more or less the same position as you (C25K then HHST and then a big gaping hole between now and a planned fall 09 marathon). All this great advice answers my questions too!

Prince of Fatness

I ran my first an only marathon last fall at age 44. I ran in my 20's and 30's but only 15-20 mpw. At 41 I ran my first HM and loved it. I was tempted to enter a full marathon right away but decided to get a few more halves under my belt first. 3+ years and 4 more halves later I ran the marathon, and met my time goal, finishing strong on a very warm day. If I had to do it all over again I'd do it the same way. I want to run another marathon but I want to get my base up even more this time .... to train for a BQ. Again, I am going to be patient. Plus I want to get my half time below 1:40 before I even give the marathon a shot (BQ is 3:30 for me). You're still young at 46. I would wait until fall 2009 at the earliest to do the full. You could do a half this fall and next spring to get ready. Patience will help you build endurance and avoid injury. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Mike-- I just wanted to congratulate you on your progress in six months. I'll bet if you look back to last November, the notion of even seriously considering a half marathon was somewhere on a par with astronaut training and building a high-tech cabana in Tahiti. Smile
                              Steve Boyett
                              Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                              Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                                Steve - Thank you. 6 months ago a good run was to the kitchen to pick up another beer from the fridge. As was noted earlier I do have some weight to lose but I am close to 20lbs lighter then I was in November. This is due to running along with change in diet. I think my overenthusiastic approach to running a marathon is because when I was in my early 20's I always thought it would be an amazing achievement to run a marathon and something in the back of my head that I always wanted to do. It is a good thing that I hear from the runners here that I should slow up and just keep enjoying my running. I run for many reasons but it is not to just run a marathon and check it off my list. I intend on keeping this lifestyle for a long time and have no intentions to quit after I reach 26.2 miles. Mike