Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Pretty good I think. 14 MP, stabilization, video. It's not an SLR but for a pocket camera I'm pleased.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Another vote for the Canon S90.  I don't have one, but it's what the folks on the photo forums always suggest to people looking for a high-end point and shoot.  It has the same sensor as the G11 but in a smaller package.  It has a fast f/2.0 lens and good low-light sensitivity.

A lot of people also recommend the Panasonic Lumix LX3, though the LX5 is coming out soon.

FWIW, I have a Canon SD1200 IS as my ultracompact P&S, and I'm disappointed with it.  The pictures are grainy and not significantly better than my 6-year-old Powershot A80.  I don't end up using it much as I have a DSLR for "good" pictures and my iPhone camera for snapshots.

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody know of a really good FREE photo shopping program?  I'm going on a trip, and will probably take a ton of photos, but they may need work when I return,.

Paint.NET is pretty good and free.  It can't do all the things that Photoshop or Gimp can, but it's free and easier to use than Gimp.

Baby bean!

I'd stick with the canon powershot elph.  We got one for my MIL and it's awesome!  I would stick with canon, nikon or olympus, personally.

Goals:
          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Baby bean!

Also, and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but for simple photo edits, I absolutely adore Picasa!!!  If I'm not going crazy with photoshop, Picasa is my easy go to.

Goals:
            Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Very poor picture quality. Feels weak and flimsy for a supposed "tough" camera. Some features plain don't work. Blurry pictures a near constant occasion."

review by consumerfriendly

June 6, 2010

Well, he undoubtedly has lots of professional photography and ultrarunning experience. Could be operator error. 

Here's another review by Some Random Internet Guy:

The Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 describes itself in it's own name. It's tough, and I am not going to buy another digital camera for as long as I live, because it's going to last that long. It was recommended to me by a river guide, and it is a miracle worker. If you want a small waterproof digital camera that takes amazing 14 mega pixel pictures, and can take literally anywhere, then this camera is for you.

It works for me. If I need better pix I'll bring my SLR. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

The Running Green Girl

I swear by my Canon S90.  I take it on every single one of my runs.

You can check out some of my pictures, if you're interested:

The Journey of a Running Green Girl

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com
                  There's apparently a new Canon SD4000 IS that has many of the features of the S90 (f/2 lens, backlit sensor) in a smaller package.  It doesn't have the larger sensor of the S90 or the full manual controls, but it's smaller and cheaper.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Imminent Catastrophe

Not waterproof or shockproof. Therefore of no use (IMO) as a running camera.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh.

I usually have mine in a plastic bag.

Imminent Catastrophe

Heh.

I usually have mine in a plastic bag.

I tried that. It's a PITA.

xor

Also not very hepful if you whoops your hold on the camera.  I like the idea of "shockproof".

(says the guy who wraps his music player in a sandwich bag... then again, I'm not pulling it out every few minutes)

I've gotten made fun of for my baggied player

Imminent Catastrophe

This is what I usually carry, wrapped in a trash bag:

It's the tripod that really causes trouble.