Imaginary food intolerances - an attempt to not hijack (Read 893 times)

A Saucy Wench

Trent - I moved this here because I am going to let loose a rant and I did not want to take away from Kerry's thread. Bottom line, mlm has discovered for herself that if she restricts gluten her depression is better. I applaud her for that. I know personally that there is something in starchy-carbs that triggers my depression but I have not taken it further. Frankly, it is quite immaterial whether it is “something else that comes along with gluten, such as carbs, etc.” Scientifically of course you are correct. Maybe it is the reduction in overall carbs in her diet that is helping her. Maybe she has a wheat intolerance and since elimination of gluten reduces wheat protein intake significantly, she is attributing it to the wrong cause. Does it matter? Maybe over time she can experiment and see if other gluten containing foods are ok, but depression is a nebulous symptom at best and diagnosing triggers is notoriously difficult. Plus, once you cross that line, doing the steps you KNOW will help you is extremely difficult. And she will get zero help from the medical establishment. If you don’t test positive to a test they are currently capable of running then they will tell you it is all in your head. If it works for her then it is RIGHT for her. Yes, you touched a nerve. I have similar issues with carbs and depression which puts me in a bad situation right now during taper. I have in the past come out of a depression cycle by simply going on a SouthBeach Phase 1 type diet for 3-7 days. (dairy, nuts, meat, vegetables – no fruit, no sugar, no starch). It works and it works WELL. This is the closest to "snap out of it" I have ever found. I need to do this right now, but I wont let myself since the marathon is 10 days away and I don’t want to carb deplete right now. If I had the discipline that mlm has shown, maybe I would discover that I only need to eliminate wheat, or gluten and I could keep potatoes and fruit. I will even grant you the possibility that perhaps what matters in the depression cycle is the being in control that conscious eating can give. Control over depression is a powerful thing. I do not think this is the whole issue, because other forms of conscious eating do not work as well, but I will grant that it may be a contributing factor. I also am touchy because I have been told my observations of my son’s response to egg in his diet is in my head. My son is happy, interactive, playful, I would answer every single question on the autism questionnaire NO. Except when we had eggs in his diet. We introduced eggs at 1 year and things turned bad. It took me awhile to think of eggs as the cause because after 3 days when he had no histamine reactions I quit thinking about eggs. But 3 weeks later I was a basket case. He had quit smiling, quit interacting, would scream if anyone was near him, no longer wanted to be held and was only content if he was in the corner with his trucks alone where he would play unsmilingly until something from the world distracted him where upon he would go batshit crazy beating his head on the floor. I would have answered yes to nearly every damn question on the form. I took eggs out of his diet on a hunch and within 3 days he started to improve and within 2 weeks he was fine. At 18 months we tried again and within 3 days I could see his personality start to change. He lost the few words that he had and would only scream – no pointing, no interaction. After 5 days he was bad enough that I took eggs out of his diet again. He has tested negative to egg allergy. I am, according to the allergist, a crazy overprotective mom who is imagining things and his symptoms were just pure coincidence and normal development. As for there being no physiological reason for gluten to be eliminated. I think that science will find the reason, they just haven’t yet. Best friend’s son is autistic, elimination of gluten has made a night and day difference. Yes, all of the evidence is anecdotal, I will give you that. But if it works it is right. In short I believe the medical establishment is woefully lacking in the area of food reactions that are not histamine reactions. Too many people find them to be real to be discounted the way they are.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Reasonable. But keep the caveats in mind. A. Depression is a potentially fatal disease and self-treating it by changing diet alone may not solve the underlying problem. You then get in the situation where the depression is undertreated. Suicide rates among depressed people are highest among those with undertreated depression. B. While the symptoms may get better when eliminating gluten, if there is an underlying disease process (such as prediabetes), the better thing to do would be to eliminate the cause of the disease (e.g., carbs) rather than some confounder. You can eliminate the gluten and the carbs that come with it, then feel better. But you can still eat carbs and the disease may march happily on. C. By your own example, what helped was switching to a diet with less processing and refining. Perhaps something about processed foods caused the problem rathe than the gluten. D. Does it matter? Well, I personally find it is better to operate from the truth. If gluten is the problem, avoid it. If it is not the problem, keep on looking. And then this: celiac testing is not perfect; it is possible to have the disease and have negative tests. And this: a LOT of things happen when a child is one year old, including introduction of milk, eggs, nuts, a bunch of shots and far greater mobility into the world. So it is often hard to figure out what causes diseases that also naturally start around one year of age. That all said, this is highly compelling: "I took eggs out of his diet on a hunch and within 3 days he started to improve and within 2 weeks he was fine. At 18 months we tried again and within 3 days I could see his personality start to change." And finally, this: "In short I believe the medical establishment is woefully lacking in the area of food reactions that are not histamine reactions." Yes. There is a LOT we don't know. And there has been a substantial cutback in research dollars to help work through these questions over the past years. The US is becoming a nation without science or knowledge, and out children literally suffer as a result. Consider this when you consider your vote this Fall (note: I did not advocate any politician over another). And perhaps, become active yourself.

Imminent Catastrophe

... Consider this when you consider your vote this Fall (note: I did not advocate any politician over another). ...
        Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mlm

Sorry, I did NOT intend to hijack the original post. I thought I was merely suggesting books that have been helpful. I feel now I've been attacked for trying to help. Wow! That was my first post ever here. Hmmm. Okay, here's the thing for me. Maybe I used "depression" too strongly. Maybe it's more a matter of being a strong shade of blue. I love potatoes and still love and consume them - love fries!! Fruit? No problems. It's not the carbs. It's the gluten. It messes with my chemistry somehow and it screws with my mind. THANK YOU, Ennay for saying, "if it works for her then it's right for her." My husband has suffered from dizzy spells on and off his whole adult life. I mean these spells knock him off his feet. The room spins horribly and the only thing that's worked to treat them is sleeping for about 2 days straight. The docs tested and tested and finally said it's "stress". So we've lived watching his stress levels. The strange thing is that the dizziness always occurs after a big stress is over. But now if he closely monitors the amount of gluten in his diet, the stress isn't gone but the dizziness is. Nothing else has worked. Nothing. I think that "we" are barely touching the surface with gluten issues. Mine (ours) is more of a sensitivity than the intolerance that celiacs must deal with. "Doctors and researchers who study celiac are beginning to realize that there are many non-celiacs who become sick when they eat gluten.... The gluten protein molecules found in wheat are simply not digested well by humans." This from an article here: http://www.foodphilosopher.com/assets/docs/051907hnut.cfm This article lists, "headache, depression, body pain, ..." as symptoms now alleviated by eliminating gluten. As I stated before, there are at least 250 symptoms associated with gluten. As Ennay says, the research is coming and will reveal more about what, exactly, gluten is responsible for. I don't mean to attack back. Really. Just trying to explain my situation and issues. Not trying to start (or maintain) a "fight". You guys really aren't that interested in my diet, are you? Wink Wow, thanks for caring! Big grin Again, didn't mean to hijack. I'm THRILLED that Kerry tested "clean as a whistle" - no celiac disease. Big Hooray for that. Watching gluten can be a nuisance but really it's not much more than that. There are so many tasty GF options out there now. And for me (us) the payoff is such a great choice! The wheat bread, pasta, etc - although I crave it at times - just isn't worth the consequences. Take care.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From: http://www.foodphilosopher.com/assets/docs/051907hnut.cfm
            Researchers now know that gluten can cause inflammation in any organ and any cell of your body. Inflammation of the heart can cause shortness of breath or fluid retention, and it is now recognized that inflammation is an important contributor to heart disease. Inflammation of the kidneys may cause kidney failure or high blood pressure. Inflammation of the large intestine may cause cramps and diarrhea. The term arthritis literally means inflammation (itis) of the joint (arthr). Cerebral inflammation is often the cause of unexplained headaches and ataxia. Inflammation of the nervous system contributes to such conditions as neuropathy, epilepsy, and dementia. All of these medical conditions (and others) can be directly related to ingesting gluten.
            References? Anybody can put anything on the internet. That does not make it true. Without good and empiric research to back these claims, they remain suspect. That said, and as Ennay and I have said (in different ways), if you have reason to avoid gluten, then avoid gluten. Just be very careful to make sure that is the true culprit.
            Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Didn't mean to open a can of worms with my original question....sorry

TRUST THE PROCESS

Imminent Catastrophe

From: http://www.foodphilosopher.com/assets/docs/051907hnut.cfm... Anybody can put anything on the internet. That does not make it true. Without good and empiric research to back these claims, they remain suspect.
                Everything on the internet isn't true? I'm shocked, SHOCKED!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Everything on the internet isn't true?
                  That's actually not true.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

That's actually not true.
                    heh. 5 points for Gryffindor.