Beach to Beacon 10K (Read 589 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Registration for the Beach to Beacon 10K in Cape Elizabeth, Maine (August 2, 2008) just opened this morning, and it will close quickly. If anyone wants a vacation in a spectacular area of the country, I highly recommend running this race. I ran it last year for the first time, and am hoping to make it every year from now on! It's so fun to cross the finish line and see one of the most photographed lighthouses and shorelines in the world. It's a very friendly race, and the food's not bad, either! PWL and Run to Win, have you signed up yet? Teresa
    PWL

Has been

Wife and I signed up this morning! Managed to connect to the server around 9:30 or so--about a half hour after registration started, and the reg #'s were already up near 1000. I think it will fill quicker this year than last. I never worry too much about it though because my sister works for TD Banknorth (the sponsor) so I can always sneak in that way through a sponsor's exemption if I need to. For those who don't know--the B2B 10k always pulls a world-class field. Last year saw 4 guys (including Meb, who finished 4th) go under 28:00 and 16 guys coming in under 30:00. I can't imagine being that poor guy who runs a 29:16 10k and doesn't crack the top 10. Either way, it is a pretty course, not too difficult. The race itself tends to be disturbingly well-organized, especially for being staged in a little town like Cape Elizabeth. The race director is Dave McGillivray--same as the Boston Marathon. Should be fun again this year!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Peter, it took me until 9:50 to get on! I couldn't believe how many people had already registered. From looking at your time last year, I won't be seeing you at the race, because I will be lined up a lot farther back! I'm trying to convince my running partner to enter, but she has a tradition of volunteering every year, so she's not sure. I told her she should RUN it now that she can!
          I hate that you have to sign up in March for a race in August. It means I'll probably never run this one.

Runners run

PWL

Has been

Peter, it took me until 9:50 to get on! I couldn't believe how many people had already registered. From looking at your time last year, I won't be seeing you at the race, because I will be lined up a lot farther back! I'm trying to convince my running partner to enter, but she has a tradition of volunteering every year, so she's not sure. I told her she should RUN it now that she can!
            Looks like registration is up over 3000 now looking at the entrant list. Are your son/husband running again this year, Teresa? B2B will be my wife's first race of 2008 (she is 8 months pregnant and has not been able to run much so far this year but is hoping to be back in action for Aug 2nd).

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Looks like registration is up over 3000 now looking at the entrant list. Are your son/husband running again this year, Teresa? B2B will be my wife's first race of 2008 (she is 8 months pregnant and has not been able to run much so far this year but is hoping to be back in action for Aug 2nd).
              Wow, I'm impressed she's planning on doing the race that soon! I wish I had had my act together that much after my kids were born. DH and DS have other plans that weekend (a music festival in New Hampshire), so they won't be running. I'm kind of bummed out about it, but it was their choice. How could they not put running first? Wink Teresa

I tried getting on at 9:00. I managed to register myself at #404, and by the time I got my wife registered it was at #828 I think, and that was around 9:30. It's gonna fill up in record time. Mike, it sucks that you have to register so early, but in this case it is totally worth the effort. The course has a net drop of 25 feet, but is very scenic and has an awesome finish. Around mile 3.5 there's a 1 mile drop that lets you out right next to the ocean, and then at mile 5 there's a 0.7 mile rolling uphill that can give you a good opportunity to pick up a few places in the finishing order. After entering the park you have a steep but very short climb, and then its downhill for a half mile to come in by the crowds and rush through the finish. I hope that I get a local elite number again this year, it was certainly very nice to start in the front corral. I need to take advantage of having my stuff brought to the finish line, though, since last year I put my bags on the normal baggage bus and didn't get my change of shoes for about 40 minutes after I finished since I was so busy socializing at the end. There's always a great elite field there, the food and entertainment at the finish line is top notch, and its extremely well organized. There are over 500 volunteers that go into making the race happen on race day.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'll have to second the beauty of Cape Elizabeth - even in the rain. This picture was taken in August 2006 when I went on a vacation in Maine. It was great. Is this where we run? Hopefully this works. MTA, the picture didn't work. Darn! how do I get a picture on here? It's in Flickr Confused Oh well, so think about a shot from the lighthouse back towards the edge of the sea with a group of runners running along the sea wall. Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

You have you wrap only the url for the picture itself with the image tags. Like this:

Runners run

Yeah. Okay. Wow. Thanks. Blush

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Registration is closed. Wow, that went fast.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Registration is closed. Wow, that went fast.
                          A lot faster than last year!