Help! (Read 478 times)

I'm a fairly new runner having run for just over two months. I started slowly using C25K and without incident. I'm still only running 30 minutes a time. The other day I hurt myself doing weighted one legged calf raises. I've have Achilles Tendinitis since. I have weak ankles from lots of sprains as a kid and being pigeon toed so I have to run slow anyway and my ankles were just starting to show a lot more strength when this happened. I was following an exercise dvd and didn't even think about the raises until it was too late. I didn't run for three days until it felt better and then went back to running slowly but now it is hurting again (I think doing downward dog reactivated the thing). I am afraid to stop running for two reasons. I am afraid my tendon will heal tighter and be more prone to injury. I am also afraid all the progress I made with asthma maintenance will go to hell. I would like to know if there is some way to tape my ankles to give them support so I can keep running. I do have access to a small track that I can use until I finish healing since the roads around here are cantered and I assume the asphalt wouldn't be so good right now. Does anyone here have any advice or do I really have to stay off the road?
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Giant Flaming Dork

I've got nothing, other than it might be time to speak to a doctor. It sounds like there's a lot of underlying problems.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here you go! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--8271-2-1-2,00.html I'm in the same boat. I went to the doctor and he prescribed high-strength ibuprofen. He told me to ice it regularly, and I'm going to PT this afternoon. You DON'T want to hurt it by running on it, from what I understand. You could make things worse. Good luck!
          Yeah, it really is frustrating. I've had weak ankles since I was a kid because of repeated strains that left my ankles weaker each time. I never followed though on a lot of the stuff doctors told me when I was a kid and now that I'm committed, I can't afford to go to a doctor. I broke out my wobble board to stand on. I did tape my ankles last night (not as well as those photos though, those will be a huge help tomorrow) and not only was I able to run without any pain (mind you I am learning chirunning so I land midfoot and don't push off) at all but I was so tired I left the tape on; my ankle felt 75% better this morning! I left them taped all night and slept with them on an ice pack. I'm still going to tape when running, stay on the soft track and keep icing until well after they are healed but that taping was a huge help. I'm going to start doing all the exercises I was supposed to do as a kid and hopefully I can get stronger sooner than later.
          You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here