The BEAST that dwells within (Read 939 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Most days, running comes easy. I have no issue with just lacing ‘em up, and hitting the road. Nice, relaxing pace where the miles roll by, easy as you please. Sometimes, though, there is this anxious bundle of energy that claws at the back of my head. It wants more than easy miles. If possible, it is willing to kill me for just one really, really hard mile. I call it the BEAST, and it requires feeding. Pain is the main course, and the BEAST, when hungry, consumes pain in ravenous fashion. These days when the BEAST appears usually go something like this: Q: I feel good today. Fresh legs, nice weather, and some time to myself to enjoy an easy 6’er on the out and back. Legs: System check. Pace – Easy. Turnover – Low. Injuries – None. Feeling – Good. Status – excellent. Affirmed. Lungs: I love you Q. Thanks again for quitting the cancer sticks! YOU DA MAN! Q: Dang, I feel really good. BEAST: THIS TOO SLOW! NO LIKE! YOU RUNNING IN WATER?!?! FAST!! GO FAST! NOW! Q: Whoa, there big fella. Let’s chill out a bit, this is supposed to be an easy run. Nice and slow. BEAST: SCREW SLOW! ME NO LIKE SLOW! ME WANT SPEED!!!!!! ME WANT YOU HURTING! PAIN GOOD! Q: uh, oh. This needs to slow down. I’m a bit uncomfortable here, but I think it’s ok. I mean, golly this quicker pace actually feels kinda good. Legs: System check. Pace – Moderate. Turnover – Easy. Injuries – None. Feeling – Good. Status – excellent. Affirmed. Lungs: I still love you Q! See how good it feels to be alive and able to run a little quicker? YOU DA MAN!!! BEAST: YOU MAJOR SISSY! THIS NOT FAST! ME SHOW YOU FAST! NOW ME PUUUUUUUUUUUUUSH! Q: Good god, what’s happening?!?!? [huff] This is not right. I’m not liking this pace one bit. No siree. I must put a stop [puff] to this [gasp] craziness… Legs: System check. Pace – Quick. Turnover – High. Injuries – Musculature; minor distress. Feeling – Strain. Status – Unstable; holding. Affirmed. Lungs: Uh, ok bro. You know I love you, but if you don’t slow the heck down I may need to flip the furnace switch on and increase the side stitch-o-meter to eleventy-niner-delta. So slow down, ya moron! BEAST: ME HUNGRY! ME KILL YOU TODAY, MR. “Q DA MAN”! YOU WANT BE FAST?!?! ME SHOW WHAT FAST FEEL LIKE!! ME GONNA EAT YOUR SOUL! Q: [heavy gasping] can’t control it. It HURTS. [tears] Stop me. [more tears] Someone stop this. [wheezing as if on iron lung] It is INSANE. [coughing up pieces of own soul] I’m dying. [openly weeping] Legs: System check. Pace – Ape shit insane. Turnover – near tripping. Injuries – Musculature; seconds from total failure. Feeling – Old, overused rubber band. Status – Unstable; Failing badly. Uh oh… Lungs: Dude. DUDE! I warned you about the burning and the pain, didn’t I? DIDN’T I?!?!?! Ok, ya dumb S.O.B. you asked for it, so take THAT! Q: OUCH! Lungs: And how about a little of THIS: Q: Mommy! Lungs: And THIS, THIS, Some of THAT and a little of THIS! Q: … Legs: … Lungs: … BEAST: Smile BEAST: THAT WHAT NOT KILL YOU MAKE YOU FASTER! ------------------------------------------- Do you have a BEAST? ------------------------------------------- Speed is relative; Pain is universal.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds just like my beast. My beast has been making me CRAZY this week. Stupid raw spot on foot has had me down for the better part of a week. BEAST is giving me insomnia...must run. Everything is "off" when my mileage is reduced so greatly. I want to be running 30 miles/week, not 15 (if I'm lucky). Gah! I think my beast needs a beer, perhaps... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PoQ: Last night, I went to see that movie, "Sprint of the Marathon". When I came home, it seems all I wanted to do is in any way to help first timers to finish the marathon...(if I COULD be of any help at all, that is!) And it so happened your "other" thread was in my mind. But, I'm sure many of the posters here went to see the movie and it would look too obvious and kinda embarrassing so I didn't. Anyways, I posted something on your other thread but this is what I forgot to add--in regards to this BEAST. Sometimes, this is how my conversation with my wife (no, I'm not calling her BEAST!) goes. "Okey, I want you to go just do an easy 3 miles today..." --45 minutes later-- She would come home and says, "Man, I felt so good so I pushed 5!" Of course, she just did tough repeats and would have a long easy 2-hour run the following day... This is where some discipline, and some planning, would do you good. The best kind of workout (tough workout) is not that you thrashed yourself to complete exhaustion; the best "hard" workout is when you stop the workout knowing you could have done a bit faster and could have done one more. So next day, how might you feel? Well, man, I can FLY! The pithole is to actually go out and pound some more... A couple of summers ago, I was in Boulder. My Achilles was killing me and one of my calves were a bit sore as well. So I put on jacket and pants and went for an easy jog (mind you, it was in the summer and pretty warm). At th dinner table, Rod Dixon (1983 NYC marathon champ) asked me why I had full jacket and pants. Lorraine Moller, 1992 bronze medalist in the marathon (yeah, I'm just showing off what kind of people I hang around with... ;o)), laughed and said it's because I'm Japanese (they all do that in Boulder!). I told them, actually, because of my Achilles an calf, I wanted to slow down and this was the way to force myself to slow down. Rod actually said, "You know, when I was completing in Europe, the morning after the race, you still have your adrenaline flowing and you want to go out hard. I used to wear extra pants, sometimes even top jacket, to slow myself down..." So you can play this trick. You can go on to do some easy fartlek over some tough undulating cross country course--you can feel a bit tough but it won't allow you to go too fast. The thing is; if you start doing an easy recovery run hard; then chances are, you can't do "key workouts" too hard; so you end up doing mediocor workouts day after day after day. Yes, sometimes you do feel good. If you just absolutely can't control yourself, you need to shuffle your workouts around a bit and make THAT a keyworkout; but don't go out and do an easy 3-miler a fast 3-miler so your point workout of 5 mile tempo becomes a miserable 5 mile struggling plod, followed then by another feel-good 2-miles! Know which workout is important; and nail them first. Discipline yourself to go easy wen you're supposed to go easy by tricking yourself in any way you can.

There's no control over the beast. I don't bother talking to him. Mine just sleeps most of the time. I just hope he stays sleeping. Trouble is that the beast can hear footsteps anywhere within sight. If he hears another runner either in front or behind me, he wakes up and starts screaming. It really stinks going to the gym and running on the treadmill, because he can't sleep there, other runners all around and no matter how fast he makes me go, the other runners are still there. Drives him crazy, not to mention that he loves AC/DC and I generally wear an MP3 player when I run on a treadmill.
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
            PoQ: You crack me up. This post is hilarious. I too have a beast, but mine is somewhat less well-developed than yours. Anyways, good one. Nobby: Good advice, as usual. Thanks again for posting.

sean

I think my beast needs a beer, perhaps... Evil grin
              nice!

Why is it sideways?

Great post, POQ. Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song (with a great video) on this theme. http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJJQUtNcNbk
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Heh. The trick for me is to use The Machine to control The Beast (or as I refer to it, The Animal) until just the right time. The Machine is neither slow nor fast. The Machine's job is to keep the pace under control. The Machine is responsible for making sure you don't go out too fast at the beginning of races. The Machine keeps the pace steady until it's time for The Beast to make it's appearance. At the proper time, The Machine fully gives way to The Beast, and the pure fury of The Beast is unleashed. The best races are achieved with the proper Machine/Beast balance. The Machine keeps The Beast under control, but it is in fact The Beast's energy that fuels The Machine. Okay, this getting a little weird. But it is true that during races, I try to be an even-split running Machine before letting The Beast out for the kick.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Nice. Yeah I have a beast. Truth is I love that beast.

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

I should've prolly mentioned that my BEAST sounds like Animal from the Muppets. ZZ - I'm not talking to you again* until you agree to run GR...still, get "heeled" up so you can HTFU! Thanks Nobby for the great advice again. You keep giving me these nuggets of wisdom and I'm gonna have to start paying you!!! I am getting better at controlling the urge to go fast on any given run. But that BEAST still sits there, waiting to be unleashed. Had a hard time controlling it today, but knowing I'm racing tomorrow helped keep it in check. Thanks Sean! Glad I could get a laugh outta ya! Jeff, thanks for the vid link! Not surprisingly, my favorite Johnny Cash song is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go Jeffgoblue, firstly it's nice to see the name restored (though it SHOULD be Jeffgogreen!). Also, I could get into the Machine concept...that's actually what I'm trying to learn, the DISCIPLINE to run as prescribed...gah, it'll prolly never totally happen, but I am slowly getting better. And Mike, I imagine your BEAST looks something like this: ----------------------- *not true! Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ZZ - I'm not talking to you again* until you agree to run GR...still, get "heeled" up so you can HTFU!
                        Find me someone to watch the crotch-fruit (aka "the didlet") and be my personal slave...ahem, I mean support...for the day and you're ON! I will do the half, though. I know I can find someone to keep an eye on Dane for a couple of hours, but not for 4-5 AND being there to hand me stuff, grab stuff, scream at me to HTFU, drive me home, make me an ice bath, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Thanks, Q, that was awesome. Zoom, did you say crotch-fruit? Too funny... My 305 is my beast control device. Bear with me, it makes sense. Most days, I shut the beast up by telling myself to stay under my HR ceiling. Some days the beast gets the better of me but usually he's hampered by the heart rate strap. It nags him. It limits the extent to which he can berate me. Then there are the days when the 305 becomes the beast. The symptoms on those days are tempo runs that keep getting faster and faster rather than holding the same pace. Those are the days the mile splits look more like this (last 8 miles of an 11 miler). 9:23, 147bpm 8:59, 143bpm 8:37, 150bpm 8:16, 155bpm 7:57, 156bpm 7:35, 161bpm 7:28, 161bpm 7:13, 163bpm The 305 was no defense against it. Yep, I've got a beast.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Another Passion

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one having those exhanges go on in my head during a run! Big grin And, your right, fast is most definitely relative! I totally understood that in my last race when I got my arse (and the view of almost everyone elses's in the race) handed to me by 80% of the field of runners. Shocked Hey, I was up in Lansing on Monday. I thought about trying to get ahold of you beforehand to see if we could meet up for lunch or sumptin' after my meeting in Lansing, but didn't get around to it quick enough... obviously. Roll eyes Thanks for the great post, Q! Good luck in your race tomorrow.

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

ha... nobby i saw the movie last night; helped my beast and me run a 3 mile lunch run at 6:21 pace today. grrr. edited: i'm just running for fun for a while, no real schedule, so letting it go doesn't mess anything up. but you are right on (as usual) about letting it out at the right time.

Think Whirled Peas

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one having those exhanges go on in my head during a run! Big grin And, your right, fast is most definitely relative! I totally understood that in my last race when I got my arse (and the view of almost everyone elses's in the race) handed to me by 80% of the field of runners. Shocked Hey, I was up in Lansing on Monday. I thought about trying to get ahold of you beforehand to see if we could meet up for lunch or sumptin' after my meeting in Lansing, but didn't get around to it quick enough... obviously. Roll eyes Thanks for the great post, Q! Good luck in your race tomorrow.
                                Thanks Rick! Yeah, definitely hit me up if you're in Lansing/Okemos area. And if it's lunchtime, bring your gear, 'cause 'ats when the BEAST gets to eat!!!