Any tips on training while fighting a cold? (Read 61 times)

Hello my running friends!  Here’s a question for all of you healthy people, what is one to do when you are weeks away from a race & fighting a nasty cold? Other than the ill advised “keep on running and hope you don’t end up with bronchitis.” I don’t know, do you?

For over a week now I have been battling a wicked cold.  It has been mostly contained to congestion and hasn’t resulted in more than a low grade fever and a general sense of ickiness.  As many of you have probably experienced, I have been faced with the gnarling question of “Do I still workout?”  My immediate answer is yes.  At the very least, one mile a day in order to sustain my nearly 900 day run streak.  Some days, those simple laps around the block have proven to be true gut checks, as my energy levels have been taxed and desire to crawl back into bed nearly undefeatable.  But I power through and today I believe I am on the upswing.  In a few more days I should feel good as new.  Of course, that’s if I can hold it together and not go out and do too much.  I mean, I have a half marathon in two weeks and I need to get some training miles in at some point.  A simple 10 miler can’t hurt (he asks with a whim of sarcasm).

So I was wondering what your best advice you have or have heard in regards to having a cold and running?  Any miracle soups that help provide super strength?  Maybe a different type of exercise, like yoga.

After I while I usually end up with the “pizza & red wine” remedy. I don’t think it helps but it makes me feel good.  

Please note the one disclaimer.  I am not a doctor and I am not promoting exercise while sick.  Go to a real doctor for that advice.  Also, let’s not assume anyone who is kind enough to leave a comment is a doctor either, so their words of wisdom should not take the place of medical advice.  Okay, I think I got everyone covered.

Thanks for your time,

During the day, I am a mild mannered desk jockey who helps manage a large IT company.  At night, I am a family man, who is insanely in love with his wife and a proud daddy to an amazing girl.  But in the pre-dawn hours, as most everyone else is still asleep, I am my alter ego.  I indulge in my passion for athletic activities, geekdom and artistic fun.  During that time, I am: OxenTrot.  

You can hear my stories at:

My website: www.oxentrot.com

My podcast:  OxenTales on iTunes or just search OxenTales on Stitcher

I like to drink lots of ginger tea and eat lots of grated ginger with honey. And running seems to loosen up all the mucus in my head, usually I end up shooting snot rockets like a champ during the run.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Chicken soup dosed liberally with sriracha.   Hitting it myself as I have a half in 11 days and a weaponized toddler cold.

(Seriously, though, with a fever, probably not best to run, although that streak is insane.)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The general rule I follow is sick from the neck up, run, but sick below the neck, rest. Running with chest congestion is likely going to make it worse.

What distance is your race and where was your weekly mileage when you got sick?

(And yeah, I'd likely gut out the mile for the streak too.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.